Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally, photos of what's behind the one piece production models nose cone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news! I obtained these photos from a confidential Tesla source. They show plenty of room behind the upper part of the nose cone for a radar detector, EZ-pass transponder, laser sensor protrusion (if mounted in the nose cone itself), and other devices. The photos all show the locations of the six clips that attach the nose cone -- good to know for those who want to pry it off to install stuff. There's certainly plenty of room back there for all I want to do.
NoseCone.jpg
NoseCone1.jpg

Are those the 12V terminals on the right side- used for jumping the 12V system? If yes, it provides a very convenient place to tap into for accessories (radar, etc).

Nothing like a direct 12v hook-up, but remember, it will be unswitched, so it would be better to tap a switched connection in the fuse box for devices that should be turned off to prevent 12v battery drain.

I can tell you that the rest of the front plastic comes off very easily. 4 screws and about 20 or so push pins. That clears away all the fog lights and plascic portion of the bumper from wheel to wheel. Sorry I did not take pictures.

Lloyd -- are you describing the plastic around the frunk?

No, I am describing the entire front air dam, and colored plastic bumper and fog lights. It all comes off in one piece!

It hangs from 4 points underneath the headlights 2 screws, one in each fender well, and two underneath the silver plastic which pops off that surrounds the Frunk latch. The rest is push pins. There are about 20 of them, though I did not count. One person can easily accomplish this.

- - - Updated - - -

So how does that nose cone piece come off? Anybody have the secret locations to pry the cone off?

The black plastic nose piece has about 8 push clips on the upper 180 degrees of the cone. The lower has permanent tabs. It is meant to be removed by prying the upper portion, then rotating it towards you to allow the lower clips to release. I was surprised how easily it was removed. I got to it by first removing the silver piece above it. I could then place my hand on the inside and push it outwards. It took VERY little pressure.

So how does that nose cone piece come off? Anybody have the secret locations to pry the cone off?

This is pretty easy. If you look at the photo I posted of the removed nose cone you'll see two clip locations near the headlights at the top left and right of the opening. Take a credit card or other thin piece of plastic that won't mar the finish and pry at one of those locations until the nose cone clip comes loose. Then gently work around the nose cone until all of the clips have popped loose.

A spudger is the technical term for a plastic pry tool, such as this. I'm sure a credit card will work well for this too, but if you have any plans to fit any other gadgets, so will need to pry off trim or open up some gaps, the spudger becomes a very useful tool!

A spudger is the technical term for a plastic pry tool, such as this. I'm sure a credit card will work well for this too, but if you have any plans to fit any other gadgets, so will need to pry off trim or open up some gaps, the spudger becomes a very useful tool!

Ha, I've got a few spudgers here from tearing apart laptops, wifi antennas, display connectors, etc. Will try to remove the cone to install the toll transponder.

There are spudgers (called "panel poppers" by my source) designed specifically for removing larger plastic panels in cars. I have a few. They're large and provide more leverage than the spudgers for computers and the like. Here's a photo of a set I use. Both are made by a company called KTC. If you're a DYI and like to make mods on your cars these are an essential and inexpensive investment.

ktc_pp_drawing_1.JPG

Last edited:
I was reading in my 8500ci install manual today about installation and they make a note that the laser signals will not pass through plastic. Is anyone concerned about this with respect to mounting a receiver behind the nose cone?

Thanks

I was reading in my 8500ci install manual today about installation and they make a note that the laser signals will not pass through plastic. Is anyone concerned about this with respect to mounting a receiver behind the nose cone?

Thanks

Laser "signals" are actually forms of light. They're blocked by opaque solids. Grilles partially block them. Therefor laser jammers or sensors need a completely clear view of the road.

Radar's a completely different story. It's a microwave signal and it passes through plastic, so the radar receiver can be mounted behind the nose cone.

Laser "signals" are actually forms of light. They're blocked by opaque solids. Grilles partially block them. Therefor laser jammers or sensors need a completely clear view of the road.

Radar's a completely different story. It's a microwave signal and it passes through plastic, so the radar receiver can be mounted behind the nose cone.
Do you know if the EZ-Pass transponders used for toll roads work in there?