Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financially Irresponsible or Worth It?

What am I?

• Irresponsible

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • Ambitious

Votes: 33 23.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gagan... something else I meant to mention. You're too young for an S. And I don't mean that as an insult, judgement, or even a reflection of your finances or whatever. In fact, I'll word it differently:

The Model S is too old for you

It is an amazing car, but consider its audience. Unless you're going to get the P model and specifically want it for embarrassing hot shots on the drag strip... its a family sedan. It looks like a family sedan. To most of your friends that aren't going to appreciate how special that car is, they're just going to see you driving an old man's car.

Now to all you old men that are about to take exception to that... remember that at 21, even someone in their mid-30's was "old". 40's was bloody ancient. If you're older than that, forget about it, you're a dinosaur in his eyes.

Ignore price and features and all that... just show pics of various cars to your friends (especially the girls) and ask them to pick the one that you should get. I'll be shocked if they pick the S without you leading them to it. Kids (yeah, I said it) your age... 2 door hatchback, a cool looking pickup, etc.

Dress age-appropriate :)

This actually comes from experience. In 2004 I bought a 2003 Cadillac STS. 400 HP and by far the most expensive car I ever owned. I was 28 at that point and I really thought I looked like "the man" driving in that thing. I was so proud of it, I looked up an ex-girlfriend that I stupidly wanted to impress and took her out for lunch but really I just wanted to show off the car. Now, she was always a bitch... don't get me wrong... but when she said, "what are you, 80?" it opened my eyes. She didn't care that it was expensive or that it had gobs of power or that it had all these bells and whistles... it was a 4 door grandpa car.

And she was right.

The Model S is too.

[flame away, folks... but you're just in denial]
So I guess if I'm in my 30s, I can't own a Model S? Or am I an old man? I'm confused.

I take exception to that. But, maybe it depends where you are, I don't know.

Take this purchase I just made... I got a full 12 grand off ask. The salient point was the cash, and said cash willing to walk out the door. If he didn't care, he'd let me walk.

Now... maybe you're right that how I paid didn't really matter to him in hindsight. But knowing that I had the cash made him KNOW this was a sale walking out the door, and not a "well, if he qualifies".

It works for houses too. The seller doesn't care how you pay - it means nothing to him - but knowing you're 100% able to pay vs. maybe, maybe not? That matters.

I guess my assumption is that if you're financing, you will be fully qualified. Not if or maybe. That is where my point of "doesn't matter where funding is coming from."

I always negotiate the cost of the product before I discuss payment terms.

I always negotiate the cost of the product before I discuss payment terms.
Then I'd argue that you're leaving some good negotiation tools out of the fight :)

When you get close... you can tell. And that's when they ask, "how are you going to pay" before they move any more.

There's a cost to financing. One way or another.

It depends on the product, the situation, the industry... and maybe locale (but I kind of doubt it). Even culture, I suppose.

I'm not guessing here. I speak from experience on both sides of the equation. I *know* I give better deals when someone's waving paper at me. And I *know* I get better prices when I do the same. I just did. Ipso facto, pudding proofed, etc etc.

This is why Dave Ramsey said (about his call-in show) "I need to just rename this show 'Sell the Car'..." (referring to the number of folks calling in who had no real savings, were in debt up to their eyeballs, and almost universally had a car they could not afford - invariably his first recommendation was 'sell the car').

This is why Dave Ramsey said (about his call-in show) "I need to just rename this show 'Sell the Car'..." (referring to the number of folks calling in who had no real savings, were in debt up to their eyeballs, and almost universally had a car they could not afford - invariably his first recommendation was 'sell the car').

The OP seems smart. Some people keep on doing the same thing and expect different results. Some people try it once, and decide.. huhm.. it's just not for me, and they stop. I think the OP is in the 2nd case.

Dave Ramsey is good for those people that keep on doing the same thing over and over and expect different results. In all honestly though, I think a model S at a 40K salary is a bit too expensive. It's doable, but probably not a good choice. But it is a good learning experience that will pay dividends later in life regardless on how the ownership goes.... I think the OP will be able to handle it... Oh yes, 30 IS old - barely old enough to join Telsa's "old men's club". hahahahah

Reactions: bcsteeve
The Model S is too old for you

My daughters' teenage friends have raved about my Model S from the first day I got it. They easily distinguished it form your everyday sedan -- much moreso than adults.

There's a cost to financing. One way or another.

Of course, but only to the consumer. Any individual losses to the lender is more than made up by other borrowers. The funny thing about your comments regarding cash is that many business go into appliance sales, furniture sales, car sales, or whatever else and their financing department is another huge profit centre that can even make them more money than their sales department. That's why when you walk into Canadian Tire, Best Buy, etc. they have people trying to sign you up for their credit cards. This is money that they will never earn when people pay by cash. Of course, the rates appear low, especially to finance vehicles, but miss a payment and see what the rates revert to -- and many people miss payments. Plus, once the promotion period ends, see what the rates revert to. Financing is big business. I buy all my vehicles cash but I get pressure to finance. I've never had pressure to pay cash. Your experiences sure seem odd to me.

I'd say anyone that thinks a Model 3 is "much better compared to the Model S" is the one with misconceptions. Better value? Arguably, perhaps. But just straight up better? Not a chance, on the whole. There may be elements that are better (temporarily), but the S is a superior car. You seem to be one of those from a year ago that somehow got it in their heads that the 3 was the upgrade to the S, and cheaper. It just isn't the case. The S continues to be the flagship.

I also find it odd that you can review a vehicle without having driven one or even seen one in person. As to the points you mention -- they are all subjective except for the fact that you can't get one yet. To some people (me included) a smaller Model 3 with AP2.5 hardware, dual motors and P version (which should be available by late 2018 which is the date my reservation says) will probably be superior in many ways to many Ss on the road, and certainly to my early 2014 S. As to paying for supercharging, it's peanuts, even at over market rates, especially when you compare the difference in price between an S and a 3. I also prefer the payment model for everyone to stop freeloaders and to keep superchargers free for long distance travel. As to speed -- you have to pay a ton to get a really fast S and most S's on the road are similar in speed to my S85 -- which is plenty fast but I bet a 3PDL will be even faster. Elon confirmed P and ludicrous for the Model 3. That's going to be some vehicle! I love my S but it's a boat and I look forward to adding a smaller, zippier, 3. In any event, the jury is still out with me as to what vehicle is "better" (that's a bad word since both will have pros and cons) but I sure look forward to finding out!

Last edited:
Only time will tell, but how will a $45k S depreciate? I expect much slower than when it did when it was new. I'm saying you may pay 45k for it and sell it 2-4 years down the road for 20-30. I wouldn't call that a complete loss.

Another + on the S side over 3: aluminum. Rot is a major concern the older a car gets, especially around here. I bought the S hoping to not need to ever buy another car. I'm now at 107k miles and shooting for a half million (or more?) if possible.

I'm leaning on the go-for-it side. I may be biased, since I love driving it so much.

Another + on the S side over 3: aluminum. Rot is a major concern the older a car gets, especially around here. I bought the S hoping to not need to ever buy another car. I'm now at 107k miles and shooting for a half million (or more?) if possible.

My Tahoe hybrid has an aluminium hood to keep weight down. I've had it 10 years and drive it every winter a lot through heavily salted mountain passes. I have no rust and the aluminium hood looks the same as all other panels. The sealants and paints used today keep rust at bay at lot longer than in the past. Plus, high strength steel has added benefits that could be life saving...

Tesla Model 3 Aluminum, Steel, High-Strength Steel Mix Revealed

It seems to me the high strength steel over aluminium in the Model 3 is a better trade off for safety vs. rust even though Tesla did it for cost savings.

• Disagree
Reactions: bcsteeve
@Gagan, I still have a feeling that you have some misconceptions about the Model 3 or you don't understand how much better the Model 3 80 is compared to the Model S 75. If you are looking for a temporary car, you should consider the Model S 75 as a temporary car until you buy a Model 3 80. The fact that you were considering a Model S 75 as a final car tells me that you don't know much about the Model 3 80. Here is what you should know:
  • The Model 3 80 has 32% more range than the Model S 75 based on EPA highway dyno test scores.
  • The Model 3 80 adds 170 miles range when supercharging for 30 minutes compared to 134 miles in Model S 75.
  • The Model 3 and Model S have the same legroom in the front and rear seats.
  • The Model 3 has more headroom than the Model S.
  • The Model 3 80 starts at $44,000 before incentives compared to $69,500 for the Model S 75.
  • Tesla is discontinuing the Model S 75 next week. Source
The Model S can fit a compact refrigerator sized box in the back or luggage for a family of 5 week long cruise. The Model 3...

Yes, the Model 3 has lots of cool features. I'm buying one. But I'm keeping my S.

But yes, for a younger person on a budget - by all means a 3.

Reactions: Canuck
The Model S can fit a compact refrigerator sized box in the back or luggage for a family of 5 week long cruise. The Model 3... Yes, the Model 3 has lots of cool features. I'm buying one. But I'm keeping my S.

Me too.

I kept my Tahoe after buying my S 4 years ago, thinking I would need it to haul stuff to my cabin for renovation projects but that soon changed when I found out how much I can pack into my large frunk S. It's unbelievable what you can fit. I recently brought a full sized screen door to my cabin and sent this pic to my wife of it over my head since she didn't believe I got it in the car...

P_20170822_155307_BF.png

I still need the Tahoe to tow my boat, and for the mountain passes in the winter, but not so much for hauling stuff anymore.