Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financing options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just signed up with Alliant CU, after paying into the Foster Care program. At the end of the application process with Alliant, I got a note saying that I am pre-approved for a 2.75% auto loan. Is this what people are getting? Where does the 1.49% come in?

I also received the 2.75% auto-approval, but I think that's a robotic "ad" of sorts versus a hard offer. When all was said and done, I was approved for what I requested (all but the $5K deposit required by Tesla) at 1.49% for 72 months along with a $100 gift into my Alliant savings account as part of some promotion. Scott, my loan officer, has been fantastic, and as of tomorrow, the check will be "in the mail" to Tesla.

I also received the 2.75% auto-approval, but I think that's a robotic "ad" of sorts versus a hard offer. When all was said and done, I was approved for what I requested (all but the $5K deposit required by Tesla) at 1.49% for 72 months along with a $100 gift into my Alliant savings account as part of some promotion. Scott, my loan officer, has been fantastic, and as of tomorrow, the check will be "in the mail" to Tesla.

I received the same auto-approval upon joining Alliant this evening. I am anticipating some haggling with USAA/PenFed/Alliant to get the lower rates that I have seen around (fingers crossed USAA will match as I am contemplating moving all of our insurance policies over as well. Surely someone will want to play! :biggrin:

I just signed up as well, but I had to go through a manual identity confirmation (fax ID, etc.) That's done, but now I'm looking at their auto rates page:

Auto | Vehicle | Loans | Alliant Credit Union

And it says "as low as 1.49% APR" but the lowest rate in the table is 1.99% APR. I tried calling but all of their loan officers were busy. I'll try again later.

Andrew, I am in NoVa as well and I got directed to the manual id verification too (after it asked me a bunch of credit history questions which I believe I answered correctly -- where did you live in 2003, which company have you NEVER worked for, etc). Did you have to call them up yourself or did they call you?

Thanks
Trekker

Andrew, I am in NoVa as well and I got directed to the manual id verification too (after it asked me a bunch of credit history questions which I believe I answered correctly -- where did you live in 2003, which company have you NEVER worked for, etc). Did you have to call them up yourself or did they call you?

Thanks
Trekker

I received an email asking for the documentation, and I called 2 days later to confirm receipt.

I assume you already have your VIN? I need to call Alliant to find out what their terms are with respect to rate-lock, duration of the approval, and pre-approved checks (you write in the Payee, amount up to a maximum, and the VIN, rather than them issuing a check directly.)

I assume you already have your VIN? I need to call Alliant to find out what their terms are with respect to rate-lock, duration of the approval, and pre-approved checks (you write in the Payee, amount up to a maximum, and the VIN, rather than them issuing a check directly.)

I jumped the gun with Alliant as I don't even have a car available. I wanted to get a head start on the loan application thinking it would be a laborious process. Alliant (loan officer was Scott) actually called me back after 1 business day to offer 1.49% on my loan amount at 72 months. The offer was good for 30 days, at which i would need to re-apply. they sent me an email with what documentation they needed and once all docs were provided, it would take them less than 10 minutes to review and approve. Scott said that would then FedEx the check directly to Tesla a few days before delivery.

I jumped the gun with Alliant as I don't even have a car available. I wanted to get a head start on the loan application thinking it would be a laborious process. Alliant (loan officer was Scott) actually called me back after 1 business day to offer 1.49% on my loan amount at 72 months. The offer was good for 30 days, at which i would need to re-apply. they sent me an email with what documentation they needed and once all docs were provided, it would take them less than 10 minutes to review and approve. Scott said that would then FedEx the check directly to Tesla a few days before delivery.

Scott's been very busy; he is my loan officer as well. Great person to work with as he has processed dozens of Model S's.

Fantastic to know that Alliant is now trying to beat PenFed.
One more data point: I've heard that Digital Credit Union may try to compete with the likes of PenFed, Alliant, etc. on rates for your business too. Their published rate is already quite low (1.99% @ 65 months)
https://www.dcu.org/prodserv/r_auto-index.html

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, the fine print says "Qualified borrowers can finance up to 120% of NADA retail book value or 120% of the purchase price, whichever is less."
You'd probably need super spotless credit to get that, but it could be fantastic!

Last edited:
Another thumbs up for Alliant. Called to apply for a loan. They took the information over the phone (3 minutes). I was on hold for 2 minutes while the loan officer talked to the underwriter. Got the full amount, less my $5k deposit, approved for 72 mos at 1.49%. Just need to send them confirmation of my income via two latest paystubs and the pre-MVPA. My wife kept asking me why I don't put more down but at 1.5% it's so cheap it's hard to justify a larger downpayment.

Hello, for anyone in MA. The Central One Credit Union in Shrewsbury is offering the auto loan at 0.99% for a 4 yr loan, 1.19% for a 5 year and 1.79% for a 6 year loan with zero down payment.

Low Interest Auto, Credit Card, Home Equity, Motorcycle, RV loans rates, Loans for Fair, Good ,Bad Credit after bankruptcy ,refinancing , Online College Student loans with and without cosigner , in Shrewsbury, Westborough, Northborough, Auburn, Massachusetts MA

- - - Updated - - -

Click on this link for more info:

https://www.centralfcu.com/

Another thumbs up for Alliant. Called to apply for a loan. They took the information over the phone (3 minutes). I was on hold for 2 minutes while the loan officer talked to the underwriter. Got the full amount, less my $5k deposit, approved for 72 mos at 1.49%. Just need to send them confirmation of my income via two latest paystubs and the pre-MVPA. My wife kept asking me why I don't put more down but at 1.5% it's so cheap it's hard to justify a larger downpayment.

Can anyone apply for the loan regardless of where they live - I live in PA and their website says membership is open to residents of Chicagoland only?

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone apply for the loan regardless of where they live - I live in PA and their website says membership is open to residents of Chicagoland only?

Never mind, I found the info in the previous pages!

Cool that PenFed is highlighting the Model S in its newsletters now!

pfed.png

Just got approved with Alliant for up to 100% of the purchase price of my Tesla... but not more. Which is great, but I was hoping to get them to finance the state sales tax (which I have to pay separately out of pocket) and possibly the service plan too, but they won't go above the amount on the MVPA... wondering if anyone has had luck getting that done? I'm going to talk to Tesla and see if I can get one or both added on to the MVPA...

By the way, I have to say that working with Alliant was pretty much a breeze. I highly recommend them! You have to put in $5 to open a savings account, and donate $10 to the foster care for success charity, and then they give you $100 (a current promotion for new members) just for doing a new vehicle loan, so you come out ahead in every way, plus 1.49% - wow!

SunTrust (SE regional bank) was willing to finance Taxes, and tag fees (up to 110% of vehicle price) to me, with the requirement of purchasing gap insurance.

I didn't finance 100% but they were willing.

I do have a mortgage, savings account, and checking account with SunTrust. And they send me offers for a large personal line of credit every 2 weeks, and they also offer me a second mortgage every month. So it might not be a general 'we finance 110%' sort of deal.

SunTrust (SE regional bank) was willing to finance Taxes, and tag fees (up to 110% of vehicle price) to me, with the requirement of purchasing gap insurance.

I didn't finance 100% but they were willing.

I do have a mortgage, savings account, and checking account with SunTrust. And they send me offers for a large personal line of credit every 2 weeks, and they also offer me a second mortgage every month. So it might not be a general 'we finance 110%' sort of deal.

What kind of rate did you get? I'm planning to get gap just to be safe, it's only $319 (for Alliant anyway.)