Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finding lost key fob with detector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lost my LEAF fob for a better part of 8 months. I decided it was technically possible to get a handheld system that would 'query' for the fob - just like the car and listen for the response. However, to use the car as my detector, I moved piles of candidate suitcases, coats, etc that might have the FOB into the car to get a response. No luck. In the end, I found the fob in a sweater pocket in the back of the closet.

It isn't realistic to bring the car into the house, but why not bring one of the car's fob transceivers into the house via an extension cord? If you know the room where the fob "should" be, find the longest distance between the car and the farthest part of the room. The car's transceiver doesn't use much power, and probably only has 4-5 wires. A Cat5e cable should suffice for the two power and two data contacts.

Once you've extended one of the transceivers, lock the car with the last remaining fob and take it far away from the car and the room to be inspected.
Wait a little while for the car to be at "rest" and ready for another fob to approach.
Bring the transceiver into the room and work your way around.
You might need a friend near the car to see when the handles auto present.
Once they do, you can play with narrowing down the location of the fob.

As someone that loves challenges like that, I would do it in a heartbeat to save $300. However, it's understandable that someone wouldn't want to go through that trouble.

The key fob only transmits RF when a Model S's signal is bounced off it asking "Who are you?", when you press a button, or when it's set upon one of the two NFC readers on the car (windshield and cupholder). Searching for the fob by sniffing for RF is going to be like looking for ghosts.