Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finding lost key fob with detector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WSE51

Supporting Member
Aug 24, 2012
Park City, Utah
One of my key fobs has gone missing, and it is most probably inside my house. Since the fobs emit a signal, I am wondering if there is some kind of detector I could use and walk around the house looking for a signal to help me find it. Any suggestions?

I realize that in the future, I could attach Tile or a similar product to the key fob, but it is too late for that now.

My wife (who just ordered "Her TSLA" with that vanity plate) has suggested to Matt Eggers, V.P. Sales, who responded that he will pass on the suggestion to product development. I urge owners to make similar requests to promote the idea.

- - - Updated - - -

I meant to say that my wife "suggested a find my phone capability be added to the fob"

Non-tech solution:
1. Get pouch for FOB.
2. Soak pouch in a dilute solution of dissolved dog treats. Dry. Insert FOB.
3. Train dog to find and fetch. (If a pointer, get him to point instead.) Start with undiluted treat, then keep diluting until it works with the smell from the pouch alone.

Assign the project to the kids. They can present it as a science project.

In case the dog ingests it rather than fetching it, you may need to tie a long leash to your FOB to aid retrieval by the vet. Also, keep ahold of your purse when visiting the home of a friend.

My wife (who just ordered "Her TSLA" with that vanity plate) has suggested to Matt Eggers, V.P. Sales, who responded that he will pass on the suggestion to product development. I urge owners to make similar requests to promote the idea.

- - - Updated - - -

I meant to say that my wife "suggested a find my phone capability be added to the fob"

All Tesla would need to do is license the "tile" technology and build it into the keyfob, or a variant if it.
Since the keyfob has a battery, you don't need to worry about the 1 year life of the "tile"

This looks like it should work, anyone tried it?

It looks like this unit from Amazon has a transmitter with 4 colored buttons and 4 receivers, each color coded to one transmitter button. It works to find its receivers by making them beep. It will work for the Tesla FOB if you attach one of their receivers to the FOB before you lose the FOB/locator-receiver pair.

I've been through this, having lost one FOB, and then months later finding it under a couch cushion where it had slipped out of my pocket. I paid the $300 for the new FOB. The only hassle with programing the new FOB is that all FOBs that the car will recognize need to be in hand when the new one is programed; the lost FOB is forgotten. Thus, when I found the missing FOB, I had to wait for another service visit and bring all three FOBs in to have the car programed to "know" all three. I forgot the limit, but the car can "learn" 3 or 4 FOBs max.