Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finish issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't find any information about this anywhere, and my eyes are bleeding from so much Tesla related internet browsing...

All the reddit and TMC forum posts about the model Y finish issues - panel gaps, paint damage, tail lights, seat misalignment, etc etc - which of these, if any, are an actual issue to function or longevity? I know nothing about cars really, really use cars to go from point A to B and could care less about the look/cosmetics. This is the first car that is AWD with enough space for my family and electronic, and the rest I could care less about.

I would guess if the paint isn't touched up it may rust and damage the frame - I could touch it up myself pretty easily.
Are any of these other issues going to lead to damage or functional issues, or are they just cosmetic? I truly am ignorant, so be kind.

I'd like to make my own delivery checklist of "crucial" things to look for that will actually lead to a problem down the road, and would likely ignore any cosmetic issues at pick up.

FWIW, I know a lot of people are worried about fit and finish issues and poor quality control. Yes, be on the lookout when taking delivery, if it's really bad you can walk away. Tesla will fix things, take pictures document everything at delivery with your delivery person. If it's a touchless deliver, take pictures/ video as soon as you receive the car as you go over everything just in case.

All that said, some cars are rolling off the line in great condition. Just as our Model X 4 years ago, early VIN #1101, was perfect, so are many of the Model Y's being delivered. I've seen a couple roll across my Facebook feed this week where everything is as it should be and the owners are ecstatic.

Reactions: Ba2yev
Typically for every 'Fit & Finish' issue that is posted there are many more happy customers that don't bother to post. Granted start up production expertise and quality control has had an impact since the Covid-19 shutdown but IMO as every day or car passes through production I suspect issues will be greatly reduced.

Contrary to the collective, popular belief here, most cars are great. Ours certainly was and it was, gasp!, in the first batch and below 4,000 in the VIN pool. Say it ain't so!

So, I'd say go in thinking positive, look for anything super glaring that you can't live with, and then drive out happy. Most of the cosmetic issues are just that, and won't affect anything substantial. The car will definitely alert you to anything really crazy, and the latest updates have appeared to fix any of the HVAC issues that were discovered early on. Unless your heat pump is faulty or wasn't charged/run in to spec at the factory (which has apparently happened a few times), you should be good to go in that realm. Don't let a little noise startle you, it is meant to be a bit noisier than "normal" in order to do its job. Vibration (and subsequent noise) is part of its inherent design.

Good Luck!

SS

Reactions: Isakura