Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

fire safety dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Initially I'd like to install a rate of rise heat detector above my Nema 14-50, however all of them require hard wiring, which is not available in my garage. Instead, I'd like to do the next best alternative of installing a smoke detector without the carbon monoxide component since wife is still stuck with an ICE.

Anyone know of any battery operated smoke detector that can communicate with each other? I would install one over the Nema 14-50, and put the other one inside the house so I would know if the garage detector was triggered.

Thanks.

Assuming your garage is fed by a wire from a breaker panel in your house, you should be able to pull signal wires for smoke detectors through the same conduit. You might have to remove the AC line and pull all the wires back through together. If you don't have conduit to the garage, you can bury some signal wire and run it to the house. You might try sprinkler signal wires, they have multiple strands and are bury-able. One way or a another, you should be able to hard wire the detectors. I have never seen non hard wired detectors but I have never really looked either.

Assuming your garage is fed by a wire from a breaker panel in your house, you should be able to pull signal wires for smoke detectors through the same conduit. You might have to remove the AC line and pull all the wires back through together. If you don't have conduit to the garage, you can bury some signal wire and run it to the house. You might try sprinkler signal wires, they have multiple strands and are bury-able. One way or a another, you should be able to hard wire the detectors. I have never seen non hard wired detectors but I have never really looked either.

It is against code to run fire alarm, or any low voltage wiring, in the same conduit as your electrical.

Your circuit is good to over 40 amps. Simply set the charge rate at 30 amps on your car and you can forget the need for a heat detector. The car will still charge plenty fast under normal conditions.

In fact, you'd be wiser to attach a heat detector to your laptop charger ;)

Unfortunately the CO alarm can't be disabled on the Nest Protect, so your wife's car might set it off. On the plus side, the alarm is pretty easy to silence with a hand wave. I'd give it a shot - worst case you'll have an extra one for the house.

Just a heads up: I had a Nest protect in my garage for two weeks, and we had a false alarm (full emergency smoke, uncancelable) while we were out one day. I got the notification on my phone and rushed home, calling neighbors. Long story short, there was no smoke, no fire. I don't have an ICE in the garage. There is a gas water heater, but the CO did not go off. I'm working with Nest to find out what might have happened, but they specifically say not to put it in the garage and that it is not code to do so.

Your circuit is good to over 40 amps. Simply set the charge rate at 30 amps on your car and you can forget the need for a heat detector. The car will still charge plenty fast under normal conditions.

In fact, you'd be wiser to attach a heat detector to your laptop charger ;)

Thanks Gene, I already have the charge amps set to 30, but I'd still like a detector for emergencies since I have a small child. Can't ever be too safe. Besides, that's why they call them accidents, you never know when it will happen.

It is against code to run fire alarm, or any low voltage wiring, in the same conduit as your electrical.

Thanks for the suggestion Thumper, but I looked it up and trilsOn is right. Thanks for pointing it out.

Yes, the Nest Protect does exactly this. For a smoke detector it's not cheap but seems like a good solution for you.

I second the suggestion for Nest Protect!

Thanks for the suggestion RyanG & NEWDL, will check it out.

Unfortunately the CO alarm can't be disabled on the Nest Protect, so your wife's car might set it off. On the plus side, the alarm is pretty easy to silence with a hand wave. I'd give it a shot - worst case you'll have an extra one for the house.

I'd rather have it be too sensitive and set it off too often than not having the warning when there is a fire.

Just a heads up: I had a Nest protect in my garage for two weeks, and we had a false alarm (full emergency smoke, uncancelable) while we were out one day. I got the notification on my phone and rushed home, calling neighbors. Long story short, there was no smoke, no fire. I don't have an ICE in the garage. There is a gas water heater, but the CO did not go off. I'm working with Nest to find out what might have happened, but they specifically say not to put it in the garage and that it is not code to do so.

Please keep us posted on what Nest says. Thanks.

There are some battery operated smoke alarms only that can communicate with each other. I think most major brands make them. Try First Alert. You buy them as a 2 pack.

Hmmmm, maybe I wasn't thorough enough. I did check out Kidde and First Alert, but couldn't find one that communicates and runs off batteries. Back to Google and Amazon.

Is your garage dusty? Any sort of airborne particles can set off smoke detectors, which is one reason they aren't typically installed in garages.

- - - Updated - - -

The Nest Protect manual specifically recommends against installing in the garage. See my other post about this:

Smoke Detectors in our garages - Page 2

Initially I'd like to install a rate of rise heat detector above my Nema 14-50, however all of them require hard wiring, which is not available in my garage. Instead, I'd like to do the next best alternative of installing a smoke detector without the carbon monoxide component since wife is still stuck with an ICE.

Anyone know of any battery operated smoke detector that can communicate with each other? I would install one over the Nema 14-50, and put the other one inside the house so I would know if the garage detector was triggered.

Thanks.

The most recent firmware update deals with this very issue, automatically lowering the charging load by 25% if any fluctuations in line resistance are detected. If your Nema 14-50 was installed by a licensed electrician, using heavy enough wire to handle the 40A load without any voltage drop, you have little to worry about.

Initially I'd like to install a rate of rise heat detector above my Nema 14-50, ... . Instead, I'd like to do the next best alternative of installing a smoke detector without the carbon monoxide component since wife is still stuck with an ICE.
Thanks.
IMO you are completely overreacting. My 14-50 is in my garage, under my kitchen.
I worry about fir3 because of it or my S 0%.
Especially with the latest firmware update ... I thought, cool ... while there's no known risk at least Tesla is being proactive ... no one else would or could so that.
So stop worrying about it! Concentrate on your wife's car where there IS something to worry about. :)

Thanks Gene, I already have the charge amps set to 30, but I'd still like a detector for emergencies since I have a small child. Can't ever be too safe. Besides, that's why they call them accidents, you never know when it will happen.

Thanks for the suggestion Thumper, but I looked it up and trilsOn is right. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks for the suggestion RyanG & NEWDL, will check it out.

I'd rather have it be too sensitive and set it off too often than not having the warning when there is a fire.

Please keep us posted on what Nest says. Thanks.

Hmmmm, maybe I wasn't thorough enough. I did check out Kidde and First Alert, but couldn't find one that communicates and runs off batteries. Back to Google and Amazon.

We use these in rentals all the time. Battery operated wireless interconnected smoke detectors.

First Alert SA501CN2 ONELINK Wireless Battery Operated Smoke Alarm, 2-Pack:Amazon:Home Improvement

Oops, someone best me to it.

We use these in rentals all the time. Battery operated wireless interconnected smoke detectors.

First Alert SA501CN2 ONELINK Wireless Battery Operated Smoke Alarm, 2-Pack:Amazon:Home Improvement

Oops, someone best me to it.

Thanks Panacea & Theshadows. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for ! Thank-you thank-you.

The most recent firmware update deals with this very issue, automatically lowering the charging load by 25% if any fluctuations in line resistance are detected. If your Nema 14-50 was installed by a licensed electrician, using heavy enough wire to handle the 40A load without any voltage drop, you have little to worry about.

Thanks Todd, I'm aware of the firmware update, & I only charge at 20-30 amps on a regular basis because my electricity usage is relatively low at the moment. My electrical outlet was inspected by the city & passed code. I installed the NEMA 14-50 with 6 AWG Romex from box to outlet 5 feet run. So I'm not worried about the outlet & it's installation. I'm more concerned about accidents that are unforeseen, thus the desire to have an additional layer of protection for piece of mind. Never hurts.

IMO you are completely overreacting. My 14-50 is in my garage, under my kitchen.
I worry about fir3 because of it or my S 0%.
Especially with the latest firmware update ... I thought, cool ... while there's no known risk at least Tesla is being proactive ... no one else would or could so that.
So stop worrying about it! Concentrate on your wife's car where there IS something to worry about. :)

Lol, sp4rk. Please see last sentence of my reply to Todd. And yes, working on doing something about the wifes ICE =) She didn't want an S, said it was too expensive & too big for her taste. We're waiting for Gen III to be released to see if it fits her taste more.

Just got off the phone with Nest. While they are RMA'ing my unit, they are sticking by the "never in a garage" line (we explained the special circumstances, finished dust free, electric car, etc). Doesn't sound like I'll get any more info than that about why the false fire/smoke alarm happened, or even if it was just an unlucky flaw in my copy.

I also mentioned that there were many electric cars owners interested in doing this or perhaps already had and they should be aware.

So I guess don't put a Nest in the garage.