Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firearm storage model 3 [and other firearms discussion]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also been trying to get a quality lock to put in the thing...but I spend way too much time watching lockpickinglawyer on YouTube pick every lock imaginable. So nothing is good enough.

I watch LPL myself, and he'll definitely convince you that nothing is secure. :)

However, for a very good lock that'll stand up to anything and anyone except LPL and Bosnian Bill, try the ABUS 83CS/45 with the ABUS 888 keyway:

ABUS 83CS/45 S2 Padlock

I bought one of these for a gym locker, it's really nice.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Anyone come up with a place or solution here? I'm thinking just really hiding it is best. Maybe put a dummy cheap gun safe under the rear center console space so they feel they won if I get a break in. I need to go look closely under the dash. I'd be stashing a G19 Gen 5 Thinking I'll need this for when I drive to a game or a concert next year.

Sadly it’s gotten pushed back on the back burner for a bit. Hopefully will be able to work on it again soon. It’s very time consuming to build each prototype. I have one staring at me. Lol. Just looked at this stuff earlier today. Too damn hot out there. Maybe in another 2-3 weeks I’ll be able to.

Also been trying to get a quality lock to put in the thing...but I spend way too much time watching lockpickinglawyer on YouTube pick every lock imaginable. So nothing is good enough.
I’m a hobbyist lock picker (and fan of LockPickingLawyer) and can help point you in the direction of some good quality locks. The problem is that high security locks carry a high security price. I would suggest you start your search with the Abus Granit Insurance lock. If that doesn’t look like it’ll work for you, there are other options. Just be warned in advance that they will also carry heavy price tags.

I also have a concealed carry permit, but since I have yet to mount a safe in my Model 3, if I’m going somewhere that I’d have to leave the gun in the car, I leave it in the safe at home instead.

Look forward to your design!

Edit: While the Abus lock mentioned above in a previous post is decent, it is definitely more suited as a gym locker lock and not for locking up a firearm. Brass body locks are just too weak, regardless of how pick resistant they may be. The Abus Granit series is the minimum lock I’d feel comfortable using for firearm security.

Last edited:
Edit: While the Abus lock mentioned above in a previous post is decent, it is definitely more suited as a gym locker lock and not for locking up a firearm. Brass body locks are just too weak, regardless of how pick resistant they may be. The Abus Granit series is the minimum lock I’d feel comfortable using for firearm security.

The Abus Granit is certainly a much more secure lock than the Abus 83, as it's steel body instead of brass. However, I was looking for a decent "bang for the buck" lock to recommend. $32 for a difficult-to-pick keyway and shielded shackle is pretty good.

But certainly if you really want to secure a lock box with cost as no objective, then the Abus Granit is exactly what you want to go to.

Just a couple things to watch for though:

1. Not all of the Granit series have a shielded shackle. Even though the shackle on all of them is hardened steel that is really difficult to cut through, I prefer shielded shackles so that a would-be thief doesn't even try.

2. The minimum shackle diameter on the Granit locks is 11mm, which is pretty big, and they go up from there. Make sure whichever one you get will fit whatever you're trying to lock.

3. The locks are large in general, and may not fit in the designated space, especially with the shielded shackle models.

4. Obviously, there's cost. Minimum will be around $90 for a small one.

5. The Granit's use a disc detainer lock mechanism which is generally a lot more difficult to pick than standard pin tumblers. But not a ton more difficult. Bosnian Bill and Lock Picking Lawyer have developed their own tools that can make most disc detainer cores pretty easy to pick. Now, granted that's a specially-designed tool, in the hands of an expert. But just be aware that 4x the price doesn't mean a core that's 4x more difficult to pick.

If you'd like some of the highest security padlocks available, check out Padlocks :: Security Snobs (I have no affiliation with this web site). They sell high-security locks that have been re-cored with one of several different high-security cores, including the Abloy Protect2, the only core I know of that has no publically-demonstrated picks.

The Abus Granit is certainly a much more secure lock than the Abus 83, as it's steel body instead of brass. However, I was looking for a decent "bang for the buck" lock to recommend. $32 for a difficult-to-pick keyway and shielded shackle is pretty good.

But certainly if you really want to secure a lock box with cost as no objective, then the Abus Granit is exactly what you want to go to.

Just a couple things to watch for though:

1. Not all of the Granit series have a shielded shackle. Even though the shackle on all of them is hardened steel that is really difficult to cut through, I prefer shielded shackles so that a would-be thief doesn't even try.

2. The minimum shackle diameter on the Granit locks is 11mm, which is pretty big, and they go up from there. Make sure whichever one you get will fit whatever you're trying to lock.

3. The locks are large in general, and may not fit in the designated space, especially with the shielded shackle models.

4. Obviously, there's cost. Minimum will be around $90 for a small one.

5. The Granit's use a disc detainer lock mechanism which is generally a lot more difficult to pick than standard pin tumblers. But not a ton more difficult. Bosnian Bill and Lock Picking Lawyer have developed their own tools that can make most disc detainer cores pretty easy to pick. Now, granted that's a specially-designed tool, in the hands of an expert. But just be aware that 4x the price doesn't mean a core that's 4x more difficult to pick.

If you'd like some of the highest security padlocks available, check out Padlocks :: Security Snobs (I have no affiliation with this web site). They sell high-security locks that have been re-cored with one of several different high-security cores, including the Abloy Protect2, the only core I know of that has no publically-demonstrated picks.
Believe it or not, Stanley made some very robust locks. They had such a strong body that another YouTube locksmith started selling them with various cores, including the Everest II.

I have around ten of the various Stanley’s, and they took months for me to get to the point where I could pick them easily.

I ended up buying a Abloy Protec2 core from Security Snobs a few years ago and put it in a Stanley lock body. The Protec2 cores aren’t cheap, but if you shop around, you can find quite a few very strong replaceable core pad locks that are worth upgrading to Protec2 cores.

I think the YouTube locksmith is still selling Stanley locks with upgraded cores for around $200.

When a guy buys a padlock, he should get in the mindset of buying time. That is, how long will it take to defeat the lock. If you buy a lock with a very strong body but the core is easily raked open by a novice in ten seconds, then you bought ten seconds.

You want a lock that’ll take a lot of time to break open, and take the same amount of time to pick.

So 5 minutes to pick and 5 minutes to break into, as an example. Often times guys will buy locks with weak bodies and hard to pick cores. The reverse is true, too.

Some cores will extend the pick time to darn near indefinitely, so the lock these cores are placed in should be as strong as possible to lengthen the attack time to as long as possible.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/BL2TuDLrzSA/maxresdefault.jpg

Seriously (though I will always LOVE BB!), how about in the center console underside lid for your BUG? I bet my PM9 would easily fit. https://www.amazon.com/BASENOR-Console-Organizer-Armrest-Storage/dp/B07Z1XFLX7

I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082SD9851/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it's basically the same just MUCH cheaper. Popped in perfect in 2 seconds with just cushioned corners (no tape). It's smll though and couldn't even hold a 9MM magazine.

These center-console pockets do the trick if all you want to do is hide a weapon against the casual thief.

The OP explicitly wanted to secure his weapon.

If someone ever notices that OP is simply sliding their weapon into a console pocket, they can later do a very easy smash-and-grab in moments and have the firearm.

LEO here. You have a serious issue that needs to be addressed by your management. It is absolutely unacceptable to expect you to go to training and not have a place for you to secure your weapon inside the training facility. You should NEVER store your weapon in a car unless you have a custom lockbox that’s securely attached to the vehicle, which is not gonna be cheap.

If the training facility parking lot is in a secure restricted entry area, then you MAY be able to get away with a lock box or something but that’s still no bueno in my opinion.

Cable lock boxes are not acceptable in my view. You can jimmy those things open with a simple flathead screwdriver. Or the cable can be cut and the thief can take the box with them to open later.

We are not allowed to leave weapons or body armor in an unattended vehicle (that is, one that’s out of your sight) without written permission, and you better have a damn good reason for it to get permission. I’ve been told by several state and local PD cops that they can never leave a weapon in the car under any circumstances.

The bottom line is that if the gun goes missing, including the theft of the entire car, it’s your ass. Period. Not worth the risk. If management won’t install lock boxes inside the training facility, then I’d take the chance of not carrying the weapon to and from training.

This ^ ^

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
center console easily accommodates subcompact/ compact handguns. My MP Shield is in there but if i park overnight outside or during daytime for a longer period... the firearm goes with me. *Never* leave a gun in a car overnight. And any visible safe will just draw more attention to the vehicle...

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
center console easily accommodates subcompact/ compact handguns. My MP Shield is in there but if i park overnight outside or during daytime for a longer period... the firearm goes with me. *Never* leave a gun in a car overnight. And any visible safe will just draw more attention to the vehicle...
I think you meant never leave a firearm unsecured at any time.

Such clutch situations are as rare as quick-draw gun showdowns in the old west.

Note: quick-draw gun showdowns in the old west did not exist in reality. They were invented by writers of cheap western novels, and popularized in TV and film, but did not actually happen.

Well, maybe there was one. And one "clutch situation." But LEOs typically have plenty of time to prepare their weapon before approaching a situation. They usually call in their action before responding - and are usually called to actually respond in the first place. The "clutch situation" is 99.999% fantasy.

Also need to remember carrying doesn’t equate to drawing for every threat. Need to train with escalation of force, deescalation, and understanding that in most situations it’s not very prudent to draw when someone already has you sighted. Sorry, chronologically reading this thread, just jumping in.

Reactions: LionXng
To OP what about this? I don’t love the biometric (would rather have simple passcode) but could offer decent security if you can find a place to securely bolt to frame and keep out of sight. If I’m you find a decent place in cabin could also provide more urgent access if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YN6D2PX

This sounds like a great idea until I looked at it more. If you only carry one type of firearm then it should work and you can figure out a brace/mount for it. If you change up your firearm depending on weather/situation/apparel then it wont work with the size differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.