TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Firm Brake Press Initiates Hold?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by cclaygo, Apr 29, 2016.

1. cclaygo

cclaygo Member

#1 cclaygo, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2016
    I just noticed this morning that if I press the brake a little harder it initiates a 'H' on the dash on the right hand side. It appears to place the car in a 'Hold' position so that you don't have to have your foot on the brake. I have creep turned on and it still holds the car. If I simply press the break it does not come on, but a firm press of the peddle and it initiates.

Is this something new? I can't believe I never noticed it before.

2. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

That came out with Version 7 last year.

Edit: for some reason my picture doesn't attach, but here's a link to a description.

• Like x 1
  3. MassModel3

MassModel3 Member

Hmm... I just tried this in the S with Creep both on and off, and no "H".

4. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

I did a bit of searching, and I think this only applies to cars with AutoPilot. Here's what somebody else said on another forum:

Brake Hold is only for AP cars. Pre-AP cars have a more limited form of this feature called Hill Assist which holds the car for 2 seconds if your car is stopped on an incline or decline exceeding 4%.

• Like x 3
  5. Dazureus

Dazureus Member

I have creep off (Model X) and use the hold (or hill start assist) feature all the time. It's great. Here's the user manual entry:

Attached Files:

6. tonyx

tonyx Member

Totally agree, the Vehicle Hold feature is one of the best and I don't have to press the brake any harder than needed for a normal full stop. It has failed to engaged a couple times, but I haven't had this happen enough to know whether I've done something different or if there is some other environmental/software factor. Great feature though!

7. sukhi

sukhi Member

Actually the part about this being an AP only feature is incorrect. I got my MX without AP and I have the press-hold feature. I do not think it has anything to with an incline either because I seem to be able to enable the brake hold regardless of the incline.

PS: Before I get called out for missing out on AP heaven, it is being enabled now at the SC :)

8. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

I suppose I was unclear...I think this feature may only work on cars that have AutoPilot hardware. You may not have AutoPilot, but you obviously have AutoPilot hardware.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Rats. I was just about to tear into you. :)

• Funny x 1
  10. ssq

ssq Member

How could you......... Ahh thank god!!

• Funny x 1
  11. JPP

JPP Active Member

The new Hold requires an electric/electronic brake booster which appeared in the S around the time that AP hardware appeared, but they are independent features. All X have the current technology brake booster. Older S have a limited HillHold (without the (H) icon that works for a couple of seconds as the old style brake booster loses its 'charge' quickly.

12. ReturnZero

ReturnZero Member

The brake hold is great, it works similar to the Mercedes system where you press the pedal harder. If you have a Mercedes (any model I believe) that was built within the last several years it has this as well. My BMW has this but you have to turn the mode on, and then it just holds the vehicle at a stop every time you stop moving until you press the throttle. Same idea but different implementation, I think the Mercedes/Tesla style is better because it's easier to activate when you want it and not have it activate when you don't.

13. ssq

ssq Member

I have this on my BMW and I am not convinced the Tesla implementation is better. I am in a lot of stop and go traffic daily so the H hold button feature is used a lot whenever I need to brake and wait. I am trying to visualize whether I would prefer to stomp and press on the Tesla type brake implementation every time or the H button implementation where I simply brake and sit there. Until I press the accelerator and the brakes disengage. Waiting for my X to ascertain this..

14. loganintx

loganintx Member

You do not have to press very hard on the brakes in the Model X. I noticed the H pop up on the dash during the Meet Model X event and I wasn't doing anything different with the brake pedal than I do in any car I drive.

• Informative x 1
  15. ssq

ssq Member

Actually.. with AP the Hold not Hold and implementation discussion itself may be somewhat irrelevant, at least for stop n go traffic in which I use my BMW's H button.

• Informative x 1
  16. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

^^ this.

Does nobody read the manual?? :)

17. Redshift

Redshift Member

So that's what the little "h" stands for. Works really well on hills. :)

18. ReturnZero

ReturnZero Member

That was going to be my exact response: the best option for stop and go traffic is AP. I basically only use auto hold at stoplights when you're on a hill (creep off) or someplace like a drive-thru.

• Like x 1
  19. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

How hard you press the brake has no effect on whether the Hold feature initiates, but the car must be at a complete stop for it to occur.

Note that pressing the brake again releases the hold, as does pressing the accelerator.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  20. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

I don't think this is true. I have noticed that without creep you don't have to push very hard, but with creep mode, you definitely need to push harder than usual or it will not engage Hold (at least on my Model S).

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1