Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firm Brake Press Initiates Hold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed this morning that if I press the brake a little harder it initiates a 'H' on the dash on the right hand side. It appears to place the car in a 'Hold' position so that you don't have to have your foot on the brake. I have creep turned on and it still holds the car. If I simply press the break it does not come on, but a firm press of the peddle and it initiates.

Is this something new? I can't believe I never noticed it before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... I just tried this in the S with Creep both on and off, and no "H".
I did a bit of searching, and I think this only applies to cars with AutoPilot. Here's what somebody else said on another forum:

Brake Hold is only for AP cars. Pre-AP cars have a more limited form of this feature called Hill Assist which holds the car for 2 seconds if your car is stopped on an incline or decline exceeding 4%.

I have creep off (Model X) and use the hold (or hill start assist) feature all the time. It's great. Here's the user manual entry:

Attachments

• Hill.JPG
    Hill.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 223
I have creep off (Model X) and use the hold (or hill start assist) feature all the time. It's great. Here's the user manual entry:

Totally agree, the Vehicle Hold feature is one of the best and I don't have to press the brake any harder than needed for a normal full stop. It has failed to engaged a couple times, but I haven't had this happen enough to know whether I've done something different or if there is some other environmental/software factor. Great feature though!

I did a bit of searching, and I think this only applies to cars with AutoPilot. Here's what somebody else said on another forum:

Brake Hold is only for AP cars. Pre-AP cars have a more limited form of this feature called Hill Assist which holds the car for 2 seconds if your car is stopped on an incline or decline exceeding 4%.

Actually the part about this being an AP only feature is incorrect. I got my MX without AP and I have the press-hold feature. I do not think it has anything to with an incline either because I seem to be able to enable the brake hold regardless of the incline.

PS: Before I get called out for missing out on AP heaven, it is being enabled now at the SC :)

Actually the part about this being an AP only feature is incorrect. I got my MX without AP and I have the press-hold feature. I do not think it has anything to with an incline either because I seem to be able to enable the brake hold regardless of the incline.

PS: Before I get called out for missing out on AP heaven, it is being enabled now at the SC :)
I suppose I was unclear...I think this feature may only work on cars that have AutoPilot hardware. You may not have AutoPilot, but you obviously have AutoPilot hardware.

How could you......... Ahh thank god!!

• Funny
Reactions: sukhi
The new Hold requires an electric/electronic brake booster which appeared in the S around the time that AP hardware appeared, but they are independent features. All X have the current technology brake booster. Older S have a limited HillHold (without the (H) icon that works for a couple of seconds as the old style brake booster loses its 'charge' quickly.

The brake hold is great, it works similar to the Mercedes system where you press the pedal harder. If you have a Mercedes (any model I believe) that was built within the last several years it has this as well. My BMW has this but you have to turn the mode on, and then it just holds the vehicle at a stop every time you stop moving until you press the throttle. Same idea but different implementation, I think the Mercedes/Tesla style is better because it's easier to activate when you want it and not have it activate when you don't.

The brake hold is great, it works similar to the Mercedes system where you press the pedal harder. If you have a Mercedes (any model I believe) that was built within the last several years it has this as well. My BMW has this but you have to turn the mode on, and then it just holds the vehicle at a stop every time you stop moving until you press the throttle. Same idea but different implementation, I think the Mercedes/Tesla style is better because it's easier to activate when you want it and not have it activate when you don't.
I have this on my BMW and I am not convinced the Tesla implementation is better. I am in a lot of stop and go traffic daily so the H hold button feature is used a lot whenever I need to brake and wait. I am trying to visualize whether I would prefer to stomp and press on the Tesla type brake implementation every time or the H button implementation where I simply brake and sit there. Until I press the accelerator and the brakes disengage. Waiting for my X to ascertain this..

I have this on my BMW and I am not convinced the Tesla implementation is better. I am in a lot of stop and go traffic daily so the H hold button feature is used a lot whenever I need to brake and wait. I am trying to visualize whether I would prefer to stomp and press on the Tesla type brake implementation every time or the H button implementation where I simply brake and sit there. Until I press the accelerator and the brakes disengage. Waiting for my X to ascertain this..

Actually.. with AP the Hold not Hold and implementation discussion itself may be somewhat irrelevant, at least for stop n go traffic in which I use my BMW's H button.

That was going to be my exact response: the best option for stop and go traffic is AP. I basically only use auto hold at stoplights when you're on a hill (creep off) or someplace like a drive-thru.

Reactions: ssq
How hard you press the brake has no effect on whether the Hold feature initiates, but the car must be at a complete stop for it to occur.

Note that pressing the brake again releases the hold, as does pressing the accelerator.
I don't think this is true. I have noticed that without creep you don't have to push very hard, but with creep mode, you definitely need to push harder than usual or it will not engage Hold (at least on my Model S).

• Informative
Reactions: ssq and cclaygo