Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I find interesting is comments like this. I have not had that problem at all on either 4.2 or 4.3, yet I have had different problems that others have not, which have been "fixed" by updates. What is going on that some people can have problems while others don't, and software updates can fix some people's issues while "breaking" things for others. Are the cars that different? Are there different hardware components from car to car? I've had 4.4 ready to go for a few days now, but have been hesitant to pull the trigger until I see what others have to say.

I've religiously read software update threads because I also want to be educated prior to upgrade.

From seeing all of the posts, I have to say that about 90% of the "anomalies" are noise and misperception. By far the most are from people noticing a behavior for the first time, and assuming it came with new release. Also a lot from people not knowing how to reset backup mirror settings, for example. And yet more from people being updated more than one release at a time (say, 4.1 to 4.3) and creating confusion about what came with what release.

There are FEW real software anomalies. MOST of the legit software anomalies (things that actually cropped up from installing a new release) seem to come from interaction of other system components (e.g., sensors) and the computer. E.G., door handles now not auto presenting, etc. This makes sense. A software tolerance changes, and now a few people whose climate or specific construction causes more friction are affected. Then, there are some that are config related. E.G., Tesla removing auto tilt mirror option from cars with cloth seats - Tesla changed software consistent with today's configuration options, but forgot to grandfather earlier allowable configurations. Then there are a VERY FEW unexplained. E.G., the charging issue that some of my IL brethren experienced with 4.3.

If you are one of the first to get a new release, you are wise to watch forum for a while before deciding to take upgrade. I did that with 4.3 because the charging problems were in IL and I'm in IL. If you see dozens of people reporting the release without catastrophe, DON'T BE SCARED, just go with it.

I just got 4.4 and I can finally contribute to this thread on topic. I had 4.2 up until 7 days ago, then I had 4.3 for a week, and I've had 4.4 for 1.5 days.

When I upgraded to 4.3, I noticed that my HomeLink range had decreased, but I didn't attribute it to the firmware upgrade, I figured it was something with my gate. But since upgrading to 4.4, my HomeLink range is back to where it was with 4.2. As a result, I can only conclude that 4.3 somehow (and I can't explain how) decreased the HomeLink range.

Sadly, I am still suffering from poor bluetooth streaming... that hasn't been fixed yet.

Well, since you got it, the rollout must be fast. :wink: Somebody made that same comment about 4.3 when they happened to be one who got it in the first couple days, but some people are still on 4.2 weeks later.

Probably me, as I was astonished to have the upgrade the day after it was first reported. But so far no one is reporting issues with 4.4 (except someone who tried to install it when their 12V battery was weak.)

...and I just got 4.4 downloaded. Seems to be rolling out fairly quickly. Will install momentarily.

EDIT: Installed normally, as usual, no issues, took less than 20 minutes. No change in release notes from 4.3, as others have noted.

Last edited:
Upgraded from 4.3 -> 4.4 a few days ago. Notes of interest:

- the energy screen zoom (5/15/30) is now sticky. It now remembers the zoom level. IIRC, 4.3 always defaulted to 5 miles. Instant/Average still always defaults to Instant tho.

- Left side driver display now goes blank after navigation. Never had this happen under 4.3. Need to test again to see if this was just a fluke.

Ron

- Left side driver display now goes blank after navigation. Never had this happen under 4.3. Need to test again to see if this was just a fluke.
Had to laugh at this one. This has been there since at least 1.15.8 so it's definitely not "new to 4.4" though there was already a report of "fixed in 4.4":
V4.4 (1.31.11) seems to fix the problem where cancelling the nav would blank out whatever was on the left side of the dashboard. Now it correctly restores whatever was there before the nav displaced it.

...and I just got 4.4 downloaded. Seems to be rolling out fairly quickly. Will install momentarily.

EDIT: Installed normally, as usual, no issues, took less than 20 minutes. No change in release notes from 4.3, as others have noted.

I've had 4.4 for two or three days now, but have not pulled the trigger to install yet. I like to do it at home after work when I can make sure it installed correctly before tucking it in for the night. I worry that something will go wrong at work, and I'm 60 km or so from home with no easy public transit options! I've had a couple of late evenings and will be out late again tonight, so maybe tomorrow...

got the notice of 4.4 in the morning, and installed it at work.. no issues.. no major updates.. besides the Average / Instant setting now being saved setting, while before it was always going back to 'instant'

If you are one of the first to get a new release, you are wise to watch forum for a while before deciding to take upgrade.

"After you."
"No, after you."
"You go first."
"No, you go first."
"No really, I'd like to see what happens when you install the firmware."
"Well, you try it and tell me."
"Why don't you try it and tell me."
"C'mon this is silly. Just install it."
"After you."

:wink:

I've had 4.4 for two or three days now, but have not pulled the trigger to install yet. I like to do it at home after work when I can make sure it installed correctly before tucking it in for the night. I worry that something will go wrong at work, and I'm 60 km or so from home with no easy public transit options! I've had a couple of late evenings and will be out late again tonight, so maybe tomorrow...

Well, I'd like to claim that I'm just fearless... but the truth is I have backup transportation readily available.

PHX182FLYER... Your experience seems to be the opposite of others....

Upgraded from 4.3 -> 4.4 a few days ago. Notes of interest:

- the energy screen zoom (5/15/30) is now sticky. It now remembers the zoom level. IIRC, 4.3 always defaulted to 5 miles. Instant/Average still always defaults to Instant tho.

Ron

got the notice of 4.4 in the morning, and installed it at work.. no issues.. no major updates.. besides the Average / Instant setting now being saved setting, while before it was always going back to 'instant'

V4.4 (1.31.11) seems to fix the problem where cancelling the nav would blank out whatever was on the left side of the dashboard. Now it correctly restores whatever was there before the nav displaced it.

Well, I'd like to claim that I'm just fearless... but the truth is I have backup transportation readily available.

Well now with the P85 loaners, I sure as hell will be fearless (not that I haven't installed as soon I have stopped the car after getting the notice of an update every time so far). Hoping for a day with a little bit more pep in my drive to work!