Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really don't understand how/why there is such variability in what is a closed system. It's not like we are all running different operating systems or something.

The Model S has multiple subsystems each of which is running an independent operating system. (Don't think of it as a computer, think of it as a network of computers.) An awful lot of trouble seems to have been caused by partial updates, where for some reason not all of the subsystems updated. This points to bugs in the updater software.

The Model S has multiple subsystems each of which is running an independent operating system. (Don't think of it as a computer, think of it as a network of computers.) An awful lot of trouble seems to have been caused by partial updates, where for some reason not all of the subsystems updated. This points to bugs in the updater software.

Interesting. I would have speculated that they were flashing the entire system every time as apposed to delta updates. Which can be unpredictable.

Yes - I have reported both screens.

Support was able to get into my car last night and determined that the firmware caused something in the video controller to go nuts. They were able to fix it remotely.

While an odd error - I'm VERY happy that they could fix it remote. Especially since I live 2.5 hours from the closets service center.

Yesterday, the Google map hung trying to update - and the central console became very slow to respond (seconds to bring up the "settings" window) - this happened while I was driving and the car was in motion. At the same time, the A/C was cycling on-and-off.

I rebooted the central console by holding down both of the scroll wheels. The console display went black - but the reboot didn't start (no large Tesla T). Then a few seconds later, the dashboard display went black. The A/C was off - but the car was still operational. While somewhat disconcerting to be driving with both displays out - the car was still able to operate.

Called Tesla Assistance and pulled into a parking lot. What cleared the problem was to put the car and open the door (since I did both of these quickly - it's possible that only one of these steps cleared the problem). Both displays came up instantly - and I drove off without any more problems.

Tesla Assistance made a note of the problem - and for the Service Center to take a look on Friday, when I'm already scheduled for service (spoiler's ready to be installed!).

I suspect this problem is a software bug - and not a problem with my car - and hopefully Tesla has enough logs that they can find what caused this - and fix it in an update.

Just took the update yesterday, and when I woke up in the morning to drive, I was only charged to 150 miles rated, and the display showed 15amp max. I know 100% it was set at 40amp max when I left it. So, figuring it was a fluke, I watched it more closely last night. Plugged it in when I got home and showed charging at 40amps no problem. However, an hour later, I checked my app, and it showed it was now set to 33amp max!

Anyone else seeing this?

I'm VERY happy that they could fix it remote. Especially since I live 2.5 hours from the closets service center.

I'm an hour from the service center but Tesla has not been reluctant to send a Ranger for the couple of small issues I had with FW updates. It's a arguably still warranty but I wonder what the future position will be if the car is a couple of years old and a FW update causes an issue? I guess the updates are generally getting better each time anyway....

Confirmed a few things after the v4.4 download on my S60:
1. Range: have 204 miles now as opposed to 196 miles under v4.2 and v4.3
2. Camera: saw the edge of my rear bumper which I didn't notice before. I put a 4" flower pot very closed to the bumper and still can see the pot clearly, like it.
3. Wiper: Have the courtesy wipe only once and never saw again, not sure why.
4. Regen Brake: didn't feel the "gentle transition" other owners saw.

I wish Tesla programmers can document the "Release Notes", they may too busy doing that.

Confirmed a few things after the v4.4 download on my S60:
1. Range: have 204 miles now as opposed to 196 miles under v4.2 and v4.3.

Thanks for the data point. This past Sunday mine had charged to 203 but I didn't complete the range charge because I needed to leave so I don't know if it would have topped out at 204. Previously my max range charges had topped out at 197 like many other 60s.

After reboot of both screens, I can confirm I no longer have any form of voice command functionality with 4.4. I used to be able to call up a song on Slacker but not anymore. Non-tech package. Anyone else with non-tech notice?

Thanks for the data point. This past Sunday mine had charged to 203 but I didn't complete the range charge because I needed to leave so I don't know if it would have topped out at 204. Previously my max range charges had topped out at 197 like many other 60s.

The standard range seem to be 85 % of the baterrie instead of 80% on 4.4. I got 397km this morning when I usually had 377Km. Is it good for the batterie long term management?

Anybody else with an HTC Thunderbolt phone? Bluetooth connection to car was working fine with my HTC Thunderbolt for 4 months, right up until I updated to 4.4 last weekend. Then nothing. I can no longer connect the phone to the car via bluetooth and use the dialer on the infotainment screen. Contacts and recent calls are no longer displayed on the infotainment screen, and the car no longer plays music that's on the phone (via Bluetooth). So thinking it was the phone, Verizon gave me a different HTC Thunderbolt to try. No luck with that one either. I tried an iPhone and a couple other Android phones and they seem to work fine. But the HTC Thunderbolts that used to work before the 4.4 update, no longer work.

Worst part about it is that I didn't even need the scheduled charging feature in 4.4, so I delayed doing the update. Now this.

"Ext. Cord Used or Weak Power" - Charge Speed Reduced: from 110V outlet?

Been seeing this since I moved up to 4.4 from the same 110V outlets as before (at work). Not a big deal but, anyone else seeing this?

photo 1.JPG

Doesn't seem to actually impact the charging rate as it gets up to 3 mi/hr shortly after:

photo 2.PNG