Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received car on 9/20 with v.5.0 and have had no NAV issues that I am aware of. I have not been upgraded to 5.6 yet, but have not complained about any issues either. Only weird thing I am getting now is every few phone calls with bluetooth, I seem to have the radio playing in the background. It's really strange because it's not even the same station I am listening to at the time of the call. Anybody else have this?

I had a loaner with 5.0 (1.35.102) and I noticed a couple things that do not happen in my firmware 4.5 car. The My Tesla screen did not reflect the car's current state, that is open doors, brake lights, blinkers, etc. The other thing was cellular interference (crackling) coming through the speakers. I don't know if these things are attributable to the firmware version, but it's the main difference that I noticed.

The other thing was cellular interference (crackling) coming through the speakers. I don't know if these things are attributable to the firmware version, but it's the main difference that I noticed.

That is almost certainly NOT A firmware caused issue.

I just had my touch screen replaced (service center had an oops) and now only since the new touch screen do I hear cell phone interference if my phone is in the cubby right below the touch screen.

It didn't do this before :(

I just had my touch screen replaced (service center had an oops) and now only since the new touch screen do I hear cell phone interference if my phone is in the cubby right below the touch screen.

Oh that's not good! It sounds like the new touchscreens have less shielding to block the radio interference. I'm happy I got a screen protector to minimize the effect of "oops" now; it's all the more important to protect my "vintage" screen.

For what it's worth, I have this too and I have a "vintage" (Jan 2013) screen. I don't think it's coming from my phone though, I think it's from the car's 3G connection itself when it has low signal and drops to 2G.

I had a loaner with 5.0 (1.35.102) and I noticed a couple things that do not happen in my firmware 4.5 car. The My Tesla screen did not reflect the car's current state, that is open doors, brake lights, blinkers, etc. The other thing was cellular interference (crackling) coming through the speakers. I don't know if these things are attributable to the firmware version, but it's the main difference that I noticed.
I'm on 4.5 and on rare occasions I hear this "crackling" noise coming through the speakers. (great way to describe it... when I had it in for service I didn't describe it well). I believe I have heard this even when there was no phone in the car so assumed it had nothing to do with my phone. Just heard it once in the last 3-4 weeks when sitting in the car doing some internet stuff while waiting for my wife.

I (also an Oct. 2012 build) have always got interference when my phone is too close to the screen. Cannot use the cubby shelf for my phone without the noise. It also occurs if my wife has her purse to the left side of her feet (with phone inside) when riding on the passenger side.

No reports of 5.0 or 5.6 being pushed out to users of 4.5?
My car is in for service due to a flat tire. While discussing jack mode, the tesla rep on the phone noted that I was on the "old" software (4.5 is what I have). While discussing a few other repairs, I said I couldn't think of anything else other than getting updated to the new software he mentioned. Knowing I was on 4.5, he asked if I had any GPS issues. I said "no, but I'll say yes if it gets me the new software". He said he would do his best. Maybe that's the trick for 4.5 users, say you have nav issues...

now they are going to have a rash of 4.5 nav issues they can't explain, haha...

To me it seems like a no brainer. If TM is confident in a release (enough to include it on new deliveries) and an owner brings a vehicle into service and requests the update, there should be nothing preventing that from happening. I would think Tesla would prefer it that way because they wouldn't have to pay the data costs and they could ensure everything went smoothly during the update. I sure would love to talk to the guy in charge of software logistics at Tesla to understand their logic.