Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll deal with it when I get a chance. Fact of the matter is that having to go to the service center for them to fix a remote update completely defeats the purpose of a remote update. Tesla needs to do a better job at testing these things before they push them out. Given that I am not the only one having issues with this software by the looks of this thread something was missed in the testing phase.

Edit:

Sorry you've been having some issues with 5.6. Things happen in software updates. It doesn't mean Tesla did a bad job of testing this. If you read from the beginning of this thread, you'll read literally hundreds of posts complaining that Tesla was taking too long in rolling this out and many people were willing to get the update ASAP, bugs and all. If perfection is the standard before rolling it out, we wouldn't see the next update for a few years, if ever.

Sorry you've been having some issues with 5.6. Things happen in software updates. It doesn't mean Tesla did a bad job of testing this. If you read from the beginning of this thread, you'll read literally hundreds of posts complaining that Tesla was taking too long in rolling this out and many people were willing to get the update ASAP, bugs and all. If perfection is the standard before rolling it out, we wouldn't see the next update for a few years, if ever.

I disagree with you on this, I think that some regression testing was skipped to push the update out to appease the very people you are talking about. I'm an engineer and I see this happen all the time, management gives you the deadline and some things get missed during testing. The unfortunate side effect that we have with the world of update-able firmware is the "Push it out now we'll fix it later" mentality that has come with it.

And I'm not looking for perfection, I'm looking for functionality, which in this case is not what I got.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, to be fair, Tesla beta tested this release for several months. In fact, I would have argued for less testing and rolling it out sooner. Just because 1 car out of a 1000 is going to have a problem should not bar them from rolling it out. Even after hearing of your problems I still absolutely want 5.6 whether it contains bugs or not. Obviously I think Tesla needs to look at your case and figure out what's going on. But I disagree with your assessment that more beta testing is needed.

I really hope you don't work in QA.

Well, to be fair, Tesla beta tested this release for several months. In fact, I would have argued for less testing and rolling it out sooner. Just because 1 car out of a 1000 is going to have a problem should not bar them from rolling it out. Even after hearing of your problems I still absolutely want 5.6 whether it contains bugs or not. Obviously I think Tesla needs to look at your case and figure out what's going on. But I disagree with your assessment that more beta testing is needed.

I agree with this sentiment completely. The 5.0 was tested and retested. Almost everyone wanted it sooner than later. Now that it is out there will be some people/vehicles that experience less than perfect results...but those problems can be corrected. It is time everyone has the 5.X series.

I disagree with you on this, I think that some regression testing was skipped to push the update out to appease the very people you are talking about. I'm an engineer and I see this happen all the time, management gives you the deadline and some things get missed during testing. The unfortunate side effect that we have with the world of update-able firmware is the "Push it out now we'll fix it later" mentality that has come with it.

And I'm not looking for perfection, I'm looking for functionality, which in this case is not what I got.

People have been pushing Tesla for much of this functionality for close to a year now. If there was a deadline, it was months and months ago. And Tesla went through beta testing for a couple of months. If Tesla had wanted to rush something out, they could have done that back in January or February when people were complaining about the lack of sleep mode. That a few folks like you are having issues does not show that Tesla "rushed" this out. Thousands of others are now enjoying this new release with little or no problems -- and certainly not the problems you're encountering. But because your car is having issues, you draw the conclusion that the entire release was faulty and is non-functional. It may not be functional for you -- yet -- but for thousands of others, it is. So again, perfection (100% of users are happy and bug-free) cannot be the standard.

Last edited:
I really hope you don't work in QA.

I don't and I'm very glad that I don't. Having said that I stand by my opinion 100%. You're welcome to disagree with me.

It's just that I have been waiting for over a year for sleep mode, which was promised to me to arrive within a few months of taking delivery. Needless to say, I am very eagerly awaiting 5.6 and don't want TM to delay the rollout any further just because a few select owners are having issues with their car sleeping.

I don't and I'm very glad that I don't. Having said that I stand by my opinion 100%. You're welcome to disagree with me.

It's just that I have been waiting for over a year for sleep mode, which was promised to me to arrive within a few months of taking delivery. Needless to say, I am very eagerly awaiting 5.6 and don't want TM to delay the rollout any further just because a few select owners are having issues with their car sleeping.

Your message reads like a carbon copy of mine, and I think after following this thread and other earlier firmware threads, hundreds and hundreds of folks would repeat our view. Nothing was rushed out. That does not mean it was perfect, just means that there is no evidence that more testing would have identified whatever issues a few cars are now having.

Did read this in release notes - I just got 5.6 yesterday and noticed that car now reads the text messages. I have the option either to skip it or read it. Pretty cool feature!!
My psychic powers tell me your phone is doing this, not the car.

- - - Updated - - -

I just noticed this morning that with my 5.6 update I am not able to put the energy display on the right side of the speedo anymore. Is it just me or has that option been removed in 5.6? I don't remember how I got it the energy display there in the first place. I did a little searching on the site and didn't find this discussed, so please point me to a thread if I missed it...
Mine was there before 5.6 and remains there after 5.6 (i.e. no change).

I have noticed since upgrading to 5.6 the slacker voice control seems to work better. Previously, I could only get a request to register while stopped (or driving very slowly) presumably due to background road noise. I have had more success even at highway speeds since the upgrade.

I thought maybe it was my imagination, but the couple of times I've used the voice command since 5.6 it has worked nicely. I'd basically given up on it previously because it worked maybe one in ten times I'd tried. Even the Ranger couldn't get it to work and sent it up to engineering for a fix...

I thought maybe it was my imagination, but the couple of times I've used the voice command since 5.6 it has worked nicely. I'd basically given up on it previously because it worked maybe one in ten times I'd tried. Even the Ranger couldn't get it to work and sent it up to engineering for a fix...

I've also noticed that you no longer have to wait a second or so for it to say "Recording". Now as soon as you hear the sound you can start talking and it works.

SC was hoping 5.6 would fix the hands free BT calling for me (so there must be under the hood improvements) .... but no such luck. New microphone goes in on Friday.

Did read this in release notes - I just got 5.6 yesterday and noticed that car now reads the text messages. I have the option either to skip it or read it. Pretty cool feature!!

I went through the release notes and the user manual and didn't find this anywhere...

Does an option actually pop up on the car's screen for you to be able to have the text read to you or skipped?

... my Blue 60

Charging overnight on 4.5
178 rated and 208 ideal

Charging overnight on 5.6
169 rated and 196 ideal

I'm in much the same boat. Rated range is now sub-200 rather than the advertised 208? This really changes the value prop of the 60. I wonder what a new 60 shows on 5.6. One would hope it would match the advertised 208, but perhaps with 5.6's enhanced forecast accuracy, the distance is somewhat shorter than advertised. Nuts. I configured a car with battery range starting at 208... is that distance a flawed estimate? An incorrectly high number?

I was still on 4.5 and hadn't gotten my notification yet, but I got the upgrade to 5.6 yesterday during a separately scheduled visit to the SC. They did it without my asking (I didn't want to be a nuisance) which was nice of them. Lost one mile in 8 hours overnight, so sleep mode is clearly working, and I was pleasantly surprised by just how short the start up time was coming out of sleep this morning. No negatives to report so far.