Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I talked to service today, and they told me 5.6 is a controlled release. They are monitoring the cars that get the release for bugs. It could be another 3 weeks before I get it. Nothing I can do to push the download.

While it is interesting to hear what an individual service advisor may say, it is important to understand that cannot be taken as gospel. I personally think Tesla is doing great job of hiring/training service personnel, but we all have to realize that most of them are less than 6 months on the job, and drinking from a fire hose, with lots of type A, opinionated, and tech savvy customers, and I would guess an internal rumor mill that rivals the real info channels.

What Tesla has officially said is that this rollout will be accomplished during Nov. Continued frequent reports of OTA downloads seems to indicate that is still on happening. Typically when a release is stopped or slowed, the reports of updates stop in a hurry.

BTW, Most people with a BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Porsche don't even ask at annual service for the newest software release (even though there always is one)… much less beg for a push.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm… I've had 5.6 for a week now, and believe this talk of the Model S reading your text messages as a function of 5.6 is a misrepresentation. It is not a function of the car as much as a function of your cell phone - activated over the car's voice control via bluetooth. I have iPhone which has Siri, and I can ask it to read my text messages… or skip, or respond… Have done that with both 4.5 and 5.6 release of Model S software. I believe that Windows and Android phones also have similar capability.

Hmmm… I've had 5.6 for a week now, and believe this talk of the Model S reading your text messages as a function of 5.6 is a misrepresentation. It is not a function of the car as much as a function of your cell phone - activated over the car's voice control via bluetooth. I have iPhone which has Siri, and I can ask it to read my text messages… or skip, or respond… Have done that with both 4.5 and 5.6 release of Model S software. I believe that Windows and Android phones also have similar capability.

Can you use a function on the car to activate Siri? Does holding down the voice button on the steering wheel do it?

While it is interesting to hear what an individual service advisor may say, it is important to understand that cannot be taken as gospel...
What Tesla has officially said is that this rollout will be accomplished during Nov. Continued frequent reports of OTA downloads seems to indicate that is still on happening. Typically when a release is stopped or slowed, the reports of updates stop in a hurry.

How is this different than the 3 week timeframe given by Monto? Actually, word on the street (at least what I heard from multiple TMCERS) was that the rollout was supposed to be done by the end of this week.

Still no update here, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt until Saturday.

edit: Correct me if I'm wrong, but looking back through this thread we only have 1 (?) OTA report occurring earlier this week. All others have gotten their upgrade at a SC. Has the pace of the rollout been slowed?

Last edited:
Driving a loaner right now as the service center has my car for a couple of days. Yesterday I set up the dash configuration as I like it with trip meter on the left and energy graph on the right; this morning the car had the energy graph on the left and blank screen on the right.

Also noted that I left the the radio on a French TuneIn station last night and this morning it was on a something else random while the UI was on the the browse function.

Bugs?

Can you use a function on the car to activate Siri? Does holding down the voice button on the steering wheel do it?

I have not found the magic words to do that. I still have to press button on paired iPhone to bring up Siri, and then I can listen to messages, reply, etc. via the car's audio system.

Anyone found the abracadabra to do this without button?

- - - Updated - - -

Driving a loaner right now as the service center has my car for a couple of days. Yesterday I set up the dash configuration as I like it with trip meter on the left and energy graph on the right; this morning the car had the energy graph on the left and blank screen on the right.

Also noted that I left the the radio on a French TuneIn station last night and this morning it was on a something else random while the UI was on the the browse function.

Bugs?

Dude, I'm so sorry, I was the last guy with that loaner. I kept a key and snuck in last night and went for joyride. Hate that french station, so I switched it. Wait till you see what else I changed… at least 4 other things. :biggrin:

Sleep mode seems to be hit and miss with 5.6.

I've had 5.0 for over 2 months, and every morning, the car would take between 15-30 sec to wake up. Now I'm on 5.6 with sleep mode activated. This morning, after an 12 hour nap, the car was fully awake the second I opened the door. Two hours later, same thing. I didn't check range last night, so I have no comparisons. All I can say is that this car was either never went to sleep, or it woke up on it's own somehow.

Sleep mode seems to be hit and miss with 5.6.

I've had 5.0 for over 2 months, and every morning, the car would take between 15-30 sec to wake up. Now I'm on 5.6 with sleep mode activated. This morning, after an 12 hour nap, the car was fully awake the second I opened the door. Two hours later, same thing. I didn't check range last night, so I have no comparisons. All I can say is that this car was either never went to sleep, or it woke up on it's own somehow.

I went from 4.5 to 5.6, and for over a week on 5.6 I've never seen the car sleep. Have tried rebooting the 17", turning off remote access, moving the key fobs as far away as possible in the house... nothing works. In fact, it seems my vampire loss has actually gotten worse (averaging 8 miles loss in 12 hours parked overnight!!)

I went from 4.5 to 5.6, and for over a week on 5.6 I've never seen the car sleep. Have tried rebooting the 17", turning off remote access, moving the key fobs as far away as possible in the house... nothing works. In fact, it seems my vampire loss has actually gotten worse (averaging 8 miles loss in 12 hours parked overnight!!)

I picked up my car yesterday with 5.6 and over night I lost 7 miles. My car does not seem to go into sleep mode either. My handles also do not present when I walk up to the car. I am more concern about the vampire drain though. It was around 45 degrees last night so maybe that has something to do with it?

What kind of phone are you using? If it's a Windows Phone, then it's definitely the phone doing it and not the car.
"If something bad happens, it's either Microsoft's fault or Bush's fault."

I think we're seeing a new corollary develop:
"If something good happens, it can't possibly be to Microsoft's or Bush's credit."

I picked up my car yesterday with 5.6 and over night I lost 7 miles. My car does not seem to go into sleep mode either. My handles also do not present when I walk up to the car. I am more concern about the vampire drain though. It was around 45 degrees last night so maybe that has something to do with it?

Anyone losing this type of miles to vampire drain needs to contact a service center or 'owner experience' to troubleshoot the problem. My garage temp last night was about 45 degrees. My charge was 219 at 8pm and 219 at 7am this AM. My experience with 5.6 vampire loss is max of 3 miles in 24 hours when sitting.

Things that may help.

1. Key fobs 20+ feet away from the vehicle (mine is 10 feet but separated by a metal door). Close phone app/ipad app, etc.

2. Reboot the 17" screen

Anyone losing this type of miles to vampire drain needs to contact a service center or 'owner experience' to troubleshoot the problem. My garage temp last night was about 45 degrees. My charge was 219 at 8pm and 219 at 7am this AM. My experience with 5.6 vampire loss is max of 3 miles in 24 hours when sitting.

Things that may help.

1. Key fobs 20+ feet away from the vehicle (mine is 10 feet but separated by a metal door). Close phone app/ipad app, etc.

2. Reboot the 17" screen

Called the SC and Tesla both said that 6 to 8 miles loss a night when the car is parked out doors in the colder weather is normal soo......

Called the SC and Tesla both said that 6 to 8 miles loss a night when the car is parked out doors in the colder weather is normal soo......

Sorry. I am surprised. I realize that garage kept probably does help save some of the drain but you are losing 2-3x my expected loss. At work my car is outside, but only for 4-7 hours depending on my work day. It was cold/windy today..about 45 degrees. Lost 1 miles in 5 hours. Just to see I will leave the car out overnight when the temp is predicited to be 40 degrees or less.

5.x changed some of the calculations behind the displayed range, based on the observed battery conditions across the fleet. You're likely seeing that.

That concerns me. Although I have yet to receive ver 5.6, the rated range calculation should be a constant that only takes in consideration what the EPA rates as the expected watts used per mile in an average temp day at average driving speeds. By maintaining this computation constant, we are now in a better position to track our driving range performance relative to EPA (over a variety of driving environments) and also track battery degradation. If this computation is temperature based and or changing with each release, how are we going to track battery performance through time? If people are other measurements of range, maybe we could request tesla to allow for a user programable choice. In my case, I would use something like Exp Range = available battery capacity (watts)/350 watts per mile.