Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this has already been posted but last night my car downloaded 5.8.4 automatically without my permission. I have purposely been not updating for about 2 weeks after reading this thread since I am planning a long road trip and don't want the hassle of flaky charging on the trip. I came out to the car this morning and was greeted by a message on the touchscreen explaining the new update and why it's good. I think that's a bit Orwellian (ok that's an overstatement but still...)
I'm at almost a month of not updating (to 5.8.4) and about 2 weeks of saying no via clicking the X. We'll see if mine violates my wishes at some point in the near future.

Normally I don't hold back on updates but, to my knowledge, there's nothing I want/need in 5.8.4 so I'm holding off for now. (In part to maybe add to the "more people aren't updating" telemetry that might nudge Tesla to deliver the suspension change #2.)

Ok three nights in a row it failed to charge! Grrrr

Does it charge from your home outlet if you attempt to do it immediately without scheduling the start? I realize you may be trying to fit into a time-of-use schedule but, just wondering if it's down to your wall power. I'm assuming you've checked the breaker already for that outlet.

@contaygious -- you might want to check out the Charging Anomaly thread. Mknox and I were having a similar problem. I think my S wasn't waking up from sleep mode often enough to catch the start timer when it was set, and I definitely had problems getting charging to start if the S was asleep when I plugged in my J1772.:

Still hit and miss for me. Mine failed to start at 10:00 PM a couple of nights ago, but I caught it before I went to bed.

The weird thing is, I cannot initiate a charge from the App unless I turn the HVAC on (via the App) first. Otherwise pressing the "Charge Now" button will do nothing. So I turn on the HVAC, start the charge then go back and turn the HVAC off.

had the car in for a minor service and got a loaner, very close VIN, also a P85+ and also 5.8.4. strangely the stereo, sounded like our first P85, kind of flat and muffled, did that same thing where if you drop the push the sound to the rear speakers it nearly drops out completely. Maybe Tesla is doing a similar thing with the stereo components that it seems they are doing with the battery, intermingling old and new components so some new VINS have older parts... can't explain it, maybe there is a common component glitch that is going under the radar that is handicapping some sound systems, dunno... Maybe I just really like my car and it's all in my head, but I don't think so. got back in my car after dropping off the loaner, streamed from the my phone on the same station and it sounded remarkably better, go figure...

As this isn't just a usual update but is considered a "recall" for regulatory purposes, it may be that NHTSA is requiring Tesla to push it to all cars since they have that capability.

1) NHTSA did not initiate this, Tesla did. Part of their objective was to demonstrate their proactivity and capability to NHTSA -- presumably to positively impact investigation of road hazard incidents.
2) Let's be clear, Tesla can SEND update to all cars, but cannot (or at least does not) forcibly update cars. There's another thread on this… some people mistakenly believe Tesla can force an update, but they cannot. You can defer it as long as you want.

I'm at almost a month of not updating (to 5.8.4) and about 2 weeks of saying no via clicking the X. We'll see if mine violates my wishes at some point in the near future.

Normally I don't hold back on updates but, to my knowledge, there's nothing I want/need in 5.8.4 so I'm holding off for now. (In part to maybe add to the "more people aren't updating" telemetry that might nudge Tesla to deliver the suspension change #2.)

I kept up my 5.8 hunger strike for as long as I could (suspension lowering and rumored regen/accel nerfs) but I finally got tired of the deferrals. More power to all those who have the fortitude to keep hitting the 'X' every day. Instead I am planning an email to ownership to make my wishes known w.r.t. suspension, good faith release note disclosure, etc. I will adopt a practice of waiting a week or so from now on before taking updates. I guess if we all do that it becomes a game of chicken. But I hope that either way TM gets the message that they've lost some trust that they will have to earn back.

- - - Updated - - -

I will say that having been on 5.8 I've had no issues with 5.8.4. @Brianman, what concerns do you have with 5.8.4 over 5.8?

I will say that having been on 5.8 I've had no issues with 5.8.4. @Brianman, what concerns do you have with 5.8.4 over 5.8?
My understanding is that the only feature added to 5.8.4 is -- an apparently troubled implementation of -- charge throttling. I don't see anything compelling in that other than not having to click the X every time I see it.

To my recollection, 5.6 is the best firmware we've had so far. It's really too bad that every version since then has had at least one poison pill. It reminds me of the early days of Windows Update when people held off for weeks, months, or years out of fear of what it might break.

Last edited:
I had no issues at all with 5.6 and quite frankly if I was allowed to roll back I would do so. That will be part of my ownership message. That said, I've had no charging issues with 5.8.4 - but I charge mostly at home or will use SC's. It is starting to feel oddly similar to WU now that you mention it.

2) Let's be clear, Tesla can SEND update to all cars, but cannot (or at least does not) forcibly update cars. There's another thread on this… some people mistakenly believe Tesla can force an update, but they cannot. You can defer it as long as you want.

Actually, the engineers in Fremont can remotely push an update, or a partial update, if they need to. This would only done when necessary for service reasons, at the request of a Ranger.

Anyway, Tesla does NOT force updates on people remotely. If the car is in the hands of Tesla Service, then I think you can expect them to update it.

If you want to avoid installing an update, I do believe you have to defer it each and every day. Forget once and it will install at the designated time.

Setting the .14 update of the past behind us...
If you want to avoid installing an update, I do believe you have to defer it each and every day. Forget once and it will install at the designated time.
This is not strictly correct. If you leave the vehicle unattended, for say, the holidays ;) and have X-led before doing so that X remains until you return and answer the prompt again. At least, that's what happened with my car.

I clicked X 3-5 times in December and then have done so about 4 times in January so far.

Major versions , yes. Minor versions, no. Minor versions can be forcibly updated by Tesla at their discretion AFAIK (again, heresay from Tesla service by another TMC member).

So I had a charging issue yesterday where charging seems to halt on a charge point station. I noticed via mobile app that it stopped charging too early, but I had enough miles to get home already so I didn't go out to check on it. I tried to force start charging via app but it just kept saying "check charger power". I'm guessing this is related to the firmware bug. When I went back out to the car to go home everything was still plugged in fine. I re-swiped my card to make sure the station still worked so I could come back today and it was fine. No idea why it halted.

Also, I mentioned in another thread that there is an NHSTA complaint on the site now regarding this firmware charging issue bug. And I know of one owner in NJ having problems charging at home now and it abruptly aborting. Seems like Norway owners also having this issue per their forums.

I trust Tesla will remedy this ASAP. Stupid amateur software engineers that, once again, don't ****ing test their code before checking it in and rolling it out. They are not solely to blame individually. It's a team issue, and failure to have proper QA and regression testing procedures also contribute to their software bugs. I fear the day one of those amateur dipsh*ts bricks our cars via firmware over the air update requiring rangers to visit everyone to "re-flash" our cars.

ta5y9yhe.jpg

Anyway, Tesla does NOT force updates on people remotely. If the car is in the hands of Tesla Service, then I think you can expect them to update it.

Well I had been diligently declining the update and was surprised to come to the car and see that it had occurred one morning. I do have kids so there could be a more innocent explanation for the unexpected update I received...

Last edited:
Im still having charging issues too. It never charges more than a few miles at night and when i start it it cuts off atter a bit and says no power. I have a service appointment sat though so hopefully i can make it there. I called and fhey said my cable might be bad, but its been a year so far and it was fine...

Stupid amateur software engineers that, once again, don't ****ing test their code before checking it in and rolling it out. They are not solely to blame individually. It's a team issue, and failure to have proper QA and regression testing procedures also contribute to their software bugs. I fear the day one of those amateur dipsh*ts bricks our cars via firmware over the air update requiring rangers to visit everyone to "re-flash" our cars.
I have to disagree with you here in two ways.

(1) Your use of the word "amateur" is incorrect, unless you really think that they are "underpaid to the point of $0 for their work".
(2) You're jumping to conclusions pretty quickly about the engineers. You know for certain there was nobody that reported internally that "situation X can happen"? I for one don't have this certainty, and in fact think it pretty likely that such issues might have been found internally and either didn't make it up the management chain, or they decided to move forward anyway.

Setting the .14 update of the past behind us...

This is not strictly correct. If you leave the vehicle unattended, for say, the holidays ;) and have X-led before doing so that X remains until you return and answer the prompt again. At least, that's what happened with my car.

I clicked X 3-5 times in December and then have done so about 4 times in January so far.
I think you are correct. Sometimes I don't take out the S for days at a time and the update is still on hold. Perhaps it only starts down the update path if you open the door and don't hit the X? I also have auto present door handles off, so the car doesn't wake up if I happen to get too close with the fob.

Car was at service today, and they forced an update. Not sure which one it is because I thought I was up to date. But, if you're in that situation where you don't want to update, might want to tell service not to do it and hopefully they listen!

I think you are correct. Sometimes I don't take out the S for days at a time and the update is still on hold. Perhaps it only starts down the update path if you open the door and don't hit the X? I also have auto present door handles off, so the car doesn't wake up if I happen to get too close with the fob.

It takes an action by a person to cause update. First post in linked thread explains exactly how update window works, with photos. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/25423-(Auto)-Installing-FW-Updates