Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting data point. Upgrade 4.5 to 5.8. Before upgrade range showed 352 km. After upgrade range showed 345.

On the other hand, the screen that shows/controls % charged indicated the car was lower than my set point.

Yeah, apparently adjustments to how range is calculated were introduced with 5.6, which are obviously still present in 5.8.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I only got the upgrade notice yesterday morning, I didn't install it as it was going to be a long driving day (which is why I said I hadn't checked the behaviour today). My expectation is that had I installed it, it wouldn't have mattered much. Note my average is 257 Wh/mile over 13,400 miles, so YMMV. I suspect it makes more difference to handling than it does to range unless you're going 70+ mph.
Ah! Yes, that makes much more sense now. I was mostly talking about range at highway speeds. Interesting, that's a good point, I wonder if it won't handle as well at higher speeds now. Also, I'm going out today on the freeway and I'll certainly do some tests (especially with leaving the car at a higher setting to see if it auto-adjusts).

Just got back to the car from my son's swim class and I see yet another update waiting for me!!! :confused:

9a6uta9u.jpg

False alarm; 1.49.24 was installed a second time for me and it appears, a minor bug (see my car in Blue in the picture before the second update) with the display of the car in "About Your Tesla" was addressed:

henedygu.jpg

Saw something interesting on my first charge after 5.8 (.22). Charge started at 35% SOC, with a target of 50%. At 44%, it jumped to 49%. Charge completed at 50%, a full 30 minutes earlier than expected. During the SOC jump, the rated range increased at a steady pace.

Okay, so, I've had a chance to drive my P85 (active air suspension) with v5.8 (.24) and I noticed that I still have the "low" setting for my suspension. Furthermore, I'm not able to adjust the ride level while going over 10mph and it still automatically adjusts back down to lower levels if I manually set it to "very high" for example. I'm disappointed. If you Google "Tesla firmware changelog" and click the second link, it states that 5.8 brings the following enhancement:

"Deletes automatic lowering of air suspension at high speed"

Does that simply mean that it won't go to the "low" setting while going freeway speeds, but it will still automatically lower the car from "high" or "very high"? If so, this isn't an improvement at all!

It seems all of the .24 receivers are 60kw ... Unless I missed something. I don't feel like going back through this thread to double check, but that seemed to be a trend when I went through it the first time.

Edit: except tanner.... Nvm, guess that isn't it, the 60s evidently feel the need to identify that they are 60s and the rest of us don't... Or something.

Last edited:
Okay, so, I've had a chance to drive my P85 (active air suspension) with v5.8 (.24) and I noticed that I still have the "low" setting for my suspension. Furthermore, I'm not able to adjust the ride level while going over 10mph and it still automatically adjusts back down to lower levels if I manually set it to "very high" for example. I'm disappointed. If you Google "Tesla firmware changelog" and click the second link, it states that 5.8 brings the following enhancement:

"Deletes automatic lowering of air suspension at high speed"

Does that simply mean that it won't go to the "low" setting while going freeway speeds, but it will still automatically lower the car from "high" or "very high"? If so, this isn't an improvement at all!

There's a whole thread (with a lot of upset folks) discussing that -> Air-Suspension-no-longer-lowers-at-highway-speeds-(FW-update-v5-8)

P.S. The changelog is here on TMC -> Wiki/Model S software-firmware changelog