Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not yet, I posted before reading the last 150 replies, wherein the discovery was made about the toggle/reboot.

Dumb question: how does one reboot *both* screens? I know you hold down both scroll wheels for one reboot, but how about the other?

I only needed to reboot the main screen and it worked like a charm for me. I actually rebooted twice. Once after toggling the Regen settings and once again after toggling the creep and steering mode settings.

FWIW, I *think* you press and hold the two upper buttons buttons on the steering wheel to reboot the Dash screen, but I haven't tried it myself.

ETA: Or exactly what Brianman said. :tongue:

Dang! You can't leave this thread alone for a minute.

80+ posts in the last 24 hours or so! And I've totally missed out on the regen/reboot tip!
Although mine is just fine.

I'm just waiting for the hack to get your previous version back. Dirk... I'm counting on you! ;)

I'm just waiting for the hack to get your previous version back. Dirk... I'm counting on you! ;)
Although I may know a thing or two about Linux... this is not something I'm even working on. For one thing I am now once again extremely happy. I don't have air suspension and the regen issue is solved. But the second reason is that I wouldn't want to mess with the firmware in my car. That's way beyond my risk profile...

Just another owner's observations. My S (standard 85, non-air suspension; coming from 5.0 to 5.8) definitely has a subtly different feel since 5.8:

• 0-60 seems to take a little bit longer
• Regenerative braking doesn't seem as aggressive anymore (which I miss, I liked it)
• Hence, I'm braking more, which has caught me by surprise once or twice in a scary way.
• Subtle differences in range after a charge -- it dropped a tiny bit
My stopwatch still got about 4.2-4.4 for a zero to sixty

Although I may know a thing or two about Linux... this is not something I'm even working on. For one thing I am now once again extremely happy. I don't have air suspension and the regen issue is solved. But the second reason is that I wouldn't want to mess with the firmware in my car. That's way beyond my risk profile...

I know, I agree. Just saying if anyone could, it would be you. ;)
This is something more than just a computer or a phone in your hip pocket, as we ride *in* it

IIRC, P85 does 0-60 in 3.9 sec. The numbers on TM's website are incorrect.

Not doubting that we can still achieve those numbers under max acceleration, but I'd be curious if someone can reproduce it on 5.8.
One guy did it once.... I'm still getting advertised times. The times fluctuate on other factors too... Soc, wind, etc.... Heh, wind might have been 40 knots at my back tha day, now that I think of it. I was also using a stop watch in one hand on my cell phone. And i was being conservative pressing it only when certain of being stopped and being past 60. Also, I'm in a p85+.

-----------
Ok, it may have happened twice, as motor trend claims it once and I saw it on a different video another time, 3.9s that is. However, the official number is in the mid 4s. I still get that, and I know that it is subject to fluctuate +/- 0.5s based on a lot of factors (hell, child seats could slow you down). I was not on the best road, and for all I know there was a slight incline. Here is a pre 5.8 video. While there are some glaring issues with it, it rns a few tests.

Tesla Model S P85+ 0-60 MPH Performance Review 2.0 - YouTube

Last edited:
An faster alternate I discovered today is: WHILE DRIVING (carefully) toggle Regen settings back and forth. I could immediately feel that "normal" regen operation was restored.

This did not work for me.

• Regenerative braking doesn't seem as aggressive anymore (which I miss, I liked it)
• Hence, I'm braking more, which has caught me by surprise once or twice in a scary way.

Have you tried the Toggle/Reboot fix yet? Basically you just Toggle the Regen settings back and forth and then reboot (hold down both scroll wheels at the same time).

I held both Scroll Wheels down until it rebooted. I rebooted once after toggling the Regen and again after toggling the Steering and Creep modes. Both my Regen and Steering are back to normal! Also, did you see my post above? There "may" be a work around for the "no low at freeway speeds". It appears to work but I need to verify that it actually lowers the car and not just lowers the car on the little screen. It sure felt like it lowered… If true, how cool would that be? :)

After over a week and 1000 miles on v5.8, as I've noted earlier I also has this "degraded regen" after the install. The easiest way for me to tell is at toll booths (because I'm "regen'ing" from 60mph to 0) and in the mornings pre-6:00am in NYC when I'm heading north on 10th or 3rd ave - bc the lights turn green in sequence so its go-slow down-green-go-slow down-green-go-slow down-etc etc for 15 blocks. After v5.8 the regen would never stop the car. At the toll booths I would just glide right through. I would have to slam my brakes on at the toll booths and red lights. It was like half power, or quarter-power, or the curve mapping was just heavily skewed in some way that it takes forever to get >30-40kW of regen. These 1000 miles was in different types of weather, from 30-70 degrees. External temps did not make any difference (aka "normal regen" was not restored in 70 degree weather). Even though I could feel a difference by switching regen to low (where it feels like your gliding on air), switching back to normal still just puts you in this degraded state where you just don't get the full regen like it used to be.

Well, this morning I rebooted per other's comments above. It was 22 degrees outside. Colder than cold. I just did my daily 100.1 mile commute to NYC and I can definitely say that my full regen has been restored after the reboot! I immediately felt the difference, the car pulled back hard like I was used to and would come by itself to an almost complete stop at lights and the toll booths.

Thank you to whoever was the first to suggest this (bareyb?). I am a little miffed that Tesla hasn't picked up on this install bug yet. These are things that I tend to worry about - Tesla's pushing out changes too quickly without really testing to make sure everything still works. I'm quite surprised that they didn't immediately pick up on this. Especially Elon, I mean he uses this to drive his family around every day. I would expect him to have noticed this bug.

I'm pretty sure that the next time Tesla pushes out a software version, I for sure will NOT be accepting it until a week or two of hearing reports from others about "whats different". I bet most of you are probably going to do the same. It's going to be a bit funny the next time they release because they are going to see a high rate of people NOT installing it. LOL

Thank you to whoever was the first to suggest this (bareyb?). I am a little miffed that Tesla hasn't picked up on this install bug yet. These are things that I tend to worry about - Tesla's pushing out changes too quickly without really testing to make sure everything still works. I'm quite surprised that they didn't immediately pick up on this. Especially Elon, I mean he uses this to drive his family around every day. I would expect him to have noticed this bug.

It's random. My car doesn't have that bug (I got .24 BTW) but the loaner I have does have the bug (it's still on v5.6). I haven't fixed the loaner as I'm taking it back today and I'll show the service manager.

I'm pretty sure that the next time Tesla pushes out a software version, I for sure will NOT be accepting it until a week or two of hearing reports from others about "whats different". I bet most of you are probably going to do the same. It's going to be a bit funny the next time they release because they are going to see a high rate of people NOT installing it. LOL

The end of FW upgrade angst?

Early on, the Roadster had an update that made the jolt at the beginning of a throttle stomp less harsh but it retained the exact 0 to 60 speed. Tesla is well aware of the importance of keeping that number intact.

I actually like the initial jolt more than the 0 - 60 number. I rarely get to accel all the way up to 60. I would prefer it to be an option. Out of curiosity, was there a reason given for the change on the Roadster?

- - - Updated - - -

My stopwatch still got about 4.2-4.4 for a zero to sixty

I have no doubt the 0-60 is probably as advertised. I suspect it was better than advertised before. What feels different is the initial responsiveness. I notice less jolt off the line, or at any speed. I haven't tried mashing the pedal yet. It may be that it is just mapped differently and I need to adjust.

Well, this morning I rebooted per other's comments above. It was 22 degrees outside. Colder than cold. I just did my daily 100.1 mile commute to NYC and I can definitely say that my full regen has been restored after the reboot! I immediately felt the difference, the car pulled back hard like I was used to and would come by itself to an almost complete stop at lights and the toll booths.

Can I ask you, too, to send email to [email protected] about this? The more people report this, the more likely they are to take us seriously...

This did not work for me.

After over a week and 1000 miles on v5.8, as I've noted earlier I also has this "degraded regen" after the install. The easiest way for me to tell is at toll booths (because I'm "regen'ing" from 60mph to 0) and in the mornings pre-6:00am in NYC when I'm heading north on 10th or 3rd ave - bc the lights turn green in sequence so its go-slow down-green-go-slow down-green-go-slow down-etc etc for 15 blocks. After v5.8 the regen would never stop the car. At the toll booths I would just glide right through. I would have to slam my brakes on at the toll booths and red lights. It was like half power, or quarter-power, or the curve mapping was just heavily skewed in some way that it takes forever to get >30-40kW of regen. These 1000 miles was in different types of weather, from 30-70 degrees. External temps did not make any difference (aka "normal regen" was not restored in 70 degree weather). Even though I could feel a difference by switching regen to low (where it feels like your gliding on air), switching back to normal still just puts you in this degraded state where you just don't get the full regen like it used to be.

"Thank You to whoever suggested this first "
See Phat78boy post #592

I actually like the initial jolt more than the 0 - 60 number. I rarely get to accel all the way up to 60. I would prefer it to be an option. Out of curiosity, was there a reason given for the change on the Roadster?

- - - Updated - - -

I have no doubt the 0-60 is probably as advertised. I suspect it was better than advertised before. What feels different is the initial responsiveness. I notice less jolt off the line, or at any speed. I haven't tried mashing the pedal yet. It may be that it is just mapped differently and I need to adjust.

ahh.. Yeah. That's it. It's remapped. It gives you more wiggle room to accelerate fully, but if you mash it its all there still. To drive like you did before, it just requires more input.

That did NOT work for me. Believe me, I tried. But the reboot did the trick. I have my beloved SPD (Single Pedal Driving) back!

The bug introduced in 5.8 (or latent and now exposed) seems rather virulant! I tried switching all my prefs off then back on so to speak after the update and before driving. Did not fix. So I tried changing "on the fly" which did fix for me. Seems like not for everybody.

I'll just include a full reboot of both screens from now on as SOP after installing an update!