Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I think the bumpiness comes much more from old timers reacting negatively and aggressively against anyone who says anything that is even mildly critical or could be construed to be such.
Perhaps I started this branch with my point about the move away from early adopters, but I think we should probably stop. So I'll take the blame. My bad for doing it...

But we should probably curtail any us vs. them groupings within TMC membership before it gets ugly.

- - - Updated - - -

If something is broken I will say "This Is Broken". I will not say "Tesla is perfect, Elon will never make a mistake, I will kiss the ground that He is walking on".
Setting these two up as the options isn't very productive. I don't know anyone on TMC that matches your latter caricature.

- - - Updated - - -

without decent release notes (the ones they give us a joke)
I completely disagree with you on this one.

I agree that the release notes were "inadequate" or "rushed" w/r/t suspension changes and 5.8 firmware. But that's the only example that comes to mind immediately. Can you elaborate on what other failures in the release notes (prior to 5.8) makes them "a joke" and "not decent"? Because I'm not seeing that.

If something is broken I will say "This Is Broken". I will not say "Tesla is perfect, Elon will never make a mistake, I will kiss the ground that He is walking on".
Setting these two up as the options isn't very productive. I don't know anyone on TMC that matches your latter caricature.
Fair point. This was grossly exaggerated to make a point. I should have marked it as such.
without decent release notes (the ones they give us a joke)

I completely disagree with you on this one.

I agree that the release notes were "inadequate" or "rushed" w/r/t suspension changes and 5.8 firmware. But that's the only example that comes to mind immediately. Can you elaborate on what other failures in the release notes (prior to 5.8) makes them "a joke" and "not decent"? Because I'm not seeing that.
As I mentioned, I have been writing software for most of my life and for a good chunk of that have maintained a number of open source projects. Writing good release notes is HARD. You need to package things so that novices / non technical people learn what's important to them, but you should also give sufficient data to advanced users. And that latter part Tesla seems to do a poor job about, and even the former I don't think they particularly excel in.
Examples: 5.8 air suspension changes. 5.5 charging change in the EU. 5.x sleep mode change (for example: how long until the car goes to sleep?).
And for the technical minded among us - the fact that different builds of the same version have identical release notes is really bothering me. So what has changed between 1.xx.yy and 1.xx.zz?
I may be asking for too miuch - again, this is based on my personal background. They certainly provide something unheard of in the car market. Updates, upgrades (sometimes downgrades) and at least SOME release notes...

I may be asking for too miuch - again, this is based on my personal background. They certainly provide something unheard of in the car market. Updates, upgrades (sometimes downgrades) and at least SOME release notes...
I think we're expecting different things here. I would term what you've described as "change log" or "detailed notes". In my mind "release notes" are thinner, sanitized, and don't tell you everything.

For example, I agree (with most?) that suspension changes should have been included in the release notes. Where we might disagree is that I don't think it's appropriate for Tesla to tell us the internal algorithm formulae changes to rated range or SOC calculations in release notes; saying "it changed" is enough and appropriate. Further, "changed __ icon from __ to __" isn't a release notes entry but it's totally appropriate for a change log.

Please also send email to [email protected]
The more people who experienced this they hear from, the more likely they will realize it's not a few crack heads making things up :)

Done. Thanks for the addie. :)

Hi guys,LOVE my Model S but wanted to let you know of some strangeness I experienced in the upgrade process. After 5.8 was installed the car felt very different. My Regen was less and my Steering was softer. I read online that toggling the options on and off and on again and then doing a reboot would restore the settings. I did just that, et voila! My Regen was back to Standard and my steering was back to "Sport". You may want to advise folks to toggle and reboot if they are complaining that "something has changed" in 5.8.

Also, it would appear that 5.8 also fixed my Navigation System. I had the GPS bug where the position of my vehicle was not represented correctly on the screen (it was about two city blocks off) and I even had an appt. at the service center to have it fixed. It looks like I can cancel that appointment. I just drove it all the way to Aptos and back and it worked perfectly the whole time. So that's good news and something you may want to pass along to folks with the "GPS Problem".

Thanks again for all that you are trying to do for the Planet and you can count on my support now and in the future.

Totally agree. Remember to tip your moderators, it's going to get bumpy.

I feel for the mods. I am feeling bad for my own over-reactions. I guess I am still in the break-in period as a new owner. FWIW I installed 5.8 today. And then did the re-boots and a test drive. All is well. I can definitely notice the higher ride height at highway speeds. And I do notice a slight change to the acceleration with small pedal movements. Neither is a killer and I trust TMC on both fronts. I want my car to last a long time.

I feel for the mods. I am feeling bad for my own over-reactions. I guess I am still in the break-in period as a new owner. […]

I've had a pretty tough couple of days here. I was about ready to just call it quits on this forum. Then I got a couple of PM's from the good folks here and it turned it all around. This is a revolutionary car with revolutionary owners. I need to not let the Trolls get to me so much. :cool:

I agree with you, but anytime you are doing something that is out of the main stream you will get all kinds of good and bad reactions. We must not let the group of people that do not understand why we are so committed to undermine your resolve. Keep pushing forward and do not let a few dictate for the many. After all there has never been an independent car company survive since Henry Ford, so there are many who will continue to try to stop progress out of fear. I appreciate everyone on this forum for there perspective and although we may not agree on everything the input is important.

I spent today on a longer distance drive finding places where I could get up to 97 mph to lower the suspension, then getting pissed when traffic made me slow down to less than 65 and the suspension raised, and I had to find a place to do it all over again. This is safer?? Yes I could drive it in the raised condition, but it does not feel right. It made driving a little agrivating when there was a little traffic. I'm looking forward to the RETURN of the normal height and functionality in January!

I spent today on a longer distance drive finding places where I could get up to 97 mph to lower the suspension, then getting pissed when traffic made me slow down to less than 65 and the suspension raised, and I had to find a place to do it all over again. This is safer?? Yes I could drive it in the raised condition, but it does not feel right. It made driving a little agrivating when there was a little traffic. I'm looking forward to the RETURN of the normal height and functionality in January!

How are you determining that the suspension is, in fact, lowering at 97mph? Is it possible that the UI is showing it as lowered without actually lowering the car?

The recent shananigans with the acceleration/regen mappings have made me doubt everything that display tells me! :tongue:

After all, Tesla said that they removed the low setting, not merely changed its lowering speed. And after they claimed no changes were made to the accel/regen, it turned out to be the case, despite many signs to the contrary.

For some reason, this entire thread reminds me of the vitriol surrounding any major operating system release by Apple or Microsoft. Especially reminds me of the release notes that Apple provides with each release, which is basically almost nothing. Something akin to "we improved stuff." Tesla does seem to have some growing pains with its ongoing relationship with its customer base. Now that the car is an ongoing upgrade experience, the relationship is far closer to what Apple and Microsoft has with its costumers than say, Mercedes or Infiniti. Even this part reminds me of the growing pains with Apple and Microsoft and how they learned what to say and what not to say for each release. Say too much and you freak people out. Say too little and you piss people off.

Personally, I like 5.8 a lot. I can't tell the difference in the ride height so far, mainly because of the nature of the roads I've been driving on lately.

How are you determining that the suspension is, in fact, lowering at 97mph? Is it possible that the UI is showing it as lowered without actually lowering the car?

At that speed I would imagine the transition would be significant. I bet aside from feeling the car lower, one would hear less wind noise due to the improved aerodynamics.

Agree, Lloyd, looking forward to January.

Just another owner's observations. My S (standard 85, non-air suspension; coming from 5.0 to 5.8) definitely has a subtly different feel since 5.8:

• 0-60 seems to take a little bit longer
• Regenerative braking doesn't seem as aggressive anymore (which I miss, I liked it)
• Hence, I'm braking more, which has caught me by surprise once or twice in a scary way.
• Subtle differences in range after a charge -- it dropped a tiny bit

But I think the bumpiness comes much more from old timers reacting negatively and aggressively against anyone who says anything that is even mildly critical or could be construed to be such.- - - Updated - - -

I have seen this happen. There are times when folks are blinded by the good things and don't want to admit there could be a problem. But I have also seen reasonable advice given, only to be shot down by people that are unwilling to accept that the change may be something either better, or a fix to something that the rest of the populace has requested. The guy complaining about how long it takes the mobile app to connect post 5.8 comes to mind. His immediate reaction was to bitch and moan, rather than to think for a second that just maybe, this is by design because his car is sleeping and using less energy at rest because that is what we have all been clamoring for. Somepeople just like to complain for the sake of complaining. They post the same thing over and over in multiple threads and are generally a Debbie downer, cooling the room wherever they type.

(emphasis mine) - yeah, that's what this sometimes feels like. And I was hoping more for a site for Tesla enthusiasts discussing their favorite piece of technology - not for a fanboy site shouting down anything that could be construed as being negative.

You are confusing me. So you think that people pointing out issues are cry babies and they do so anonymously here? I don't perceive this as anonymous at all - and I'll be happy to share my identity with anyone interested (and yes, a quick check shows that the first six hits for "dirkhh" on Google are me and the very first one has my full name).

I don't think people that point out issues are cry babies. I think that people that demand a refund or threaten to sue with a class action suit, when the company is making hard choices about how to deal with a media shitstorm of unreasonable scrutiny are cry babies

People also get offended if they report an issue and one of the first responses is "it's your mistake, you're making it up, get used to it".

I added responses in italics. To sum up, I have no problem with people pointing out bugs, features they don't enjoy, features they wish for, things that could work better, etc. I do have a problem with people that fan the flames of negativity. As has been demonstrated in the past, news media do read these forums and will post "information" gleaned from reading what we write. So when Tesla enthusiast forums turn into endless slogs of complaining about niggling little things, it feeds the media's desire to get dirt on the new upstart company. I wouldnt be surprised if genuine Tesla fans getting a little carried away with their complaints ended up affecting stock prices or subconsciously pushing away prospective buyers lurking on these threads. I am responding to dirk because he responded to me, but dirk, I suspect you understand that I am not attacking you or anything you beliee needs improvement specifically.

Just another owner's observations. My S (standard 85, non-air suspension; coming from 5.0 to 5.8) definitely has a subtly different feel since 5.8:

• 0-60 seems to take a little bit longer
• Regenerative braking doesn't seem as aggressive anymore (which I miss, I liked it)
• Hence, I'm braking more, which has caught me by surprise once or twice in a scary way.
• Subtle differences in range after a charge -- it dropped a tiny bit

Have you tried the Toggle/Reboot fix yet? Basically you just Toggle the Regen settings back and forth and then reboot (hold down both scroll wheels at the same time).

Last edited:
Have you tried the Toggle/Reboot fix yet? Basically you just Toggle the Regen settings back and forth and then reboot (hold down both scroll wheels at the same time).

Not yet, I posted before reading the last 150 replies, wherein the discovery was made about the toggle/reboot.

Dumb question: how does one reboot *both* screens? I know you hold down both scroll wheels for one reboot, but how about the other?