Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed a few things in 5.8

- If you get into a sleeping car with music playing, the volume control on the steering wheel takes a few seconds longer to become operational than the center console volume controls.
- The center console map clearly uses scalable vector graphics rather than the static tile images from 4.5
- If you want to get the largest amount of your trip visible in the screen at once, use thumb and pointer (i.e. multi-touch) and rotate the nav directions so that the car is in one corner of the display and the destination is in the diagonally opposite corner (I like bottom left for the car, top right for the destination). As you get closer to your destination its easy to pinch/stretch out to keep the full screen in use.
- backing into a parking spot will often put the heading of the car (and the entire map in heads up mode) backwards. Heading is clearly calculated by using multiple position samples rather than compass direction.

- If you want to get the largest amount of your trip visible in the screen at once, use thumb and pointer (i.e. multi-touch) and rotate the nav directions so that the car is in one corner of the display and the destination is in the diagonally opposite corner (I like bottom left for the car, top right for the destination). As you get closer to your destination its easy to pinch/stretch out to keep the full screen in use.
Great tip. Thanks :smile:

For those who had regen issues requiring a restart: how many of you were fiddling with the car (like opening/closing doors) or had the FOB nearby while installing?

When I started the update, I closed the door and left the garage, taking my FOB with me. Didn't come back until about 30 mins later, and the update was done. Had none of the reported issues others were seeing.

I'm just wondering if either opening/closing doors, or the car sensing the FOB nearby was preventing a reboot after the install.

New characteristic I don't recall being mentioned:

Used to to have to unlock the car to allow the charge port to be opened. Now, even if the car is in sleep mode, the charge port opens just by pressing the button on the HPWC and it's no longer necessary to have the key in proximity.

For those who had regen issues requiring a restart: how many of you were fiddling with the car (like opening/closing doors) or had the FOB nearby while installing?

When I started the update, I closed the door and left the garage, taking my FOB with me. Didn't come back until about 30 mins later, and the update was done. Had none of the reported issues others were seeing.

I'm just wondering if either opening/closing doors, or the car sensing the FOB nearby was preventing a reboot after the install.
Interesting theory. I don't quite see how this would impact the update process... but I guess we are stabbing in the dark here... so let me add to the data pool:
I manually started the install (so the FOB was in the car) but then walked away.

So let's modify this question a tiny bit, if I may:

Is there a correlation between having said "install now" and the issues vs. having done the scheduled install during the next night?

Used to to have to unlock the car to allow the charge port to be opened. Now, even if the car is in sleep mode, the charge port opens just by pressing the button on the HPWC and it's no longer necessary to have the key in proximity.

Ugh. That's bad. UMCs could be stolen this way.

I like the part about not having to unlock the car. I don't like the part about not needing the keyfob in proximity. UMCs can get stolen that way.

Hi Nigel,

I haven't experienced that with my Mobile Connector. Without the key I can't remove the cable when pressing the button on the handle.

Larry

Great thought. I actually have always tried to be 'away' from my car when it updates. I schedule it to happen while in the underground garage of our building (I live in a high rise condo).

So, mine upgraded completely undisturbed. And I didn't have any issues after the update. Of course I did one manual reboot of both screens as I think is prudent. But I didn't fiddle with any selections prior to doing so.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, I had my car in for minor service today at the PHX SvC. They upgraded me for the .22 flavor to .25 flavor of 5.8. No noticeable differences. I thought there was a Google maps issue but that seems like it was a Tesla-wide (if not web-wide) issue.

Service center installed my update and I had the bug with regen. Reboot solved it.

I documented this in another thread and it predates 5.8:

UMC won't open charge port without fob

On 4.5 the behavior of my charge port was spotty meaning that sometimes it would open the port while other times it required fob proximity.

A quick search didn't turn up anyone mentioning a new quirk I found in 5.8, although it may have been in 5.6 and I didn't discover it. When washing the windshield, the car will spray and wipe for the duration of you holding the button in. Then a few seconds later it will perform one more courtesy wipe without your input. I much appreciate this behavior, as one more wipe always seems necessary.

Wattson said:
one more wipe always seems necessary.
heh...

i scheduled mine to start later and was fast asleep with no fobs near the car during installation, but I had regen differences.

pressing the hpwc and the charge port opening when the car is locked in no way means you can unplug the hpwc/umc when the car is locked. 2 separate topics all together. One is for plugging in, the other is for unplugging. One is for opening a hinge by releasing a magnet, the other is releasing the cord from the car. This is a positive improvement.