Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my d in for service today - a possessed charge port door - and they gave me a p85+/non-ap as a loaner that had .139 on it. Nothing special to report, at least in reference to this model. I'm curious to see what's different on my car when I get it back tomorrow... The first fix they tried was to bump it to the latest. I'd love to see a range improvement.

LTE would increase bandwidth consumption because customers would be more likely to use high-bandwidth services (eg: satellite images in maps instead of vector graphics), and less likely to have the car connect to a LTE hotspot.

Personally, I have my iPhone programmed to turn on the Personal Hotspot every time the car's bluetooth connects to the phone, and have the car switch over to that hotspot as I drive. T-Mobile LTE is much much faster in my area than AT&T, and with my T-Mo unlimited data package, I figure I can save Tesla a few bucks while improving my service.

If it had LTE, I would probably have less of an incentive to tether. I'm sure there are other people who tether for similar reasons.

What utility are you using to automatically turn on the hotspot when Bluetooth connects to the car?

Just picked up the car from the service center without knowing they had updated its software to *139.
In mixed freeway/urban driving, it averaged 390 watts per mile in 12 degree weather. Just like the vanilla "P85" loaner I dropped off 30 min earlier.

Not sure if the front motor was off during my drive back but my car averaged 520wh/m over the last 1,300 miles. Today is the first day I see average consumption with a "3" as the first digit. AND... it's 12 degrees outside. Whatever just happened - I want more of that.

One thing to note is that the car was kept inside the service center (at room temperature) all day, so this may skew numbers slightly since the pack and the cabin were warm when I left.

We are experiencing much milder weather here in NorCal and are rarely using climate control. Averaging 356 Wh/mile over almost 1,400 miles.

Ditto. Over 2000 miles with 388wh/mile average (including a few hundred miles of >400wh/mile at the very beginning). These days 350-360wh/mile is achievable with TACC set to 65mph. So I'm expecting under 330wh/mile after torque sleep is activated.

Ditto. Over 2000 miles with 388wh/mile average (including a few hundred miles of >400wh/mile at the very beginning). These days 350-360wh/mile is achievable with TACC set to 65mph. So I'm expecting under 330wh/mile after torque sleep is activated.

Me three. My average in December of ~2,500 miles was 403 Wh/mi. This included a trip to cold Oregon. Since January, I've averaged 351 over ~2,000 miles.
However, I'm thinking the torque sleep should drop our recent averages to below 300 Wh/mi in order to meet the supposed 285-mile range at 65 mph. Time will tell...

The more I think about it, the more it seems that the torque sleep update is important enough to get its own dot-release (6.2) instead of a dot-dot release (2.2.xxx) so perhaps .139 is not the answer to our torque sleep dreams...

Keep in mind that torque sleep doesn't apply to most of the fleet, which is currently RWD. So, not sure I agree it would be a primary version update or not.

Side note, nothing on the P85D or P85 here just yet.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that torque sleep doesn't apply to most of the fleet, which is currently RWD. So, not sure I agree it would be a primary version update or not.

Side note, nothing on the P85D or P85 here just yet.

Good point, but I was thinking that release notes for the same "major" version (5.9, 6.0, 6.1, etc.) rarely change other than "additional improvements", and since the torque sleep update was actually mentioned in several official places such as JB's blog post on range, it deserves to get its own feature mentioned in the release notes.

Anyway, whatever they call it is not as important now as actually getting the update!

For those who have been notified of an update, please post your new version number when it's complete. Thanks!

Interesting that the last couple of times my P85D has received an update notification it has been at 12AM ET, and this time others are seeing one but not me. :p

I guess Tesla is mad about my outing them on the range issue. :(

lol

P85D starting software update right now

11:25 pm central time feb 2nd.

torque sleep or .1 0-60 or both or something else? :)

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg