Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, Tesla is doing the right thing but rolling out smaller, frequent, incremental updates. Just think back to 5.x. The rollouts were halted for months at a time and I, for one, was not happy that my car continued to suffer from insomnia despite a fix being available. If they try to correct everything all at once then a) it takes longer and b) it increases the probably that one if affected something else entirely

Trust me, I'm a Sig. I've been in the software update game since 3.5. Incremental updates are always welcome over major overhauls where the chances that something gets screwed up are infinitely higher.

Right. The more things that are changed, the more unintended consequences are created, and the longer it takes to fix them--it takes even longer to fix them correctly.

I've been quietly whining about being stuck on .139 instead of getting .140 but finally had a chance to do some real world testing today. I did my normal commute today except in Sport / Range mode and saw an average of 255kwh compared to 320kwh before. Torque sleep is yielding over a 20% improvement for me!

I've been quietly whining about being stuck on .139 instead of getting .140 but finally had a chance to do some real world testing today. I did my normal commute today except in Sport / Range mode and saw an average of 255kwh compared to 320kwh before. Torque sleep is yielding over a 20% improvement for me!

Holy crap, 320 kWh ?! ;)

Anyway, the results of my 100+ mile side by side test with the wife-to-be's P85 are in:

P85: 111.3 miles, 35.0 kWh, 315 Wh/mi
P85D: 112.3 miles, 35.4 kWh, 316 Wh/mi

For comparison, the results of the previous test (pre-torque sleep) were:
P85: 111.3 miles, 34.1 kWh, 306 Wh/mi
P85D: 112.2 miles, 39.5 kWh, 352 Wh/mi

That's an 11% improvement over the previous test, less than half of a % difference between the P85 and P85D overall usage. Scaling for the differences between the trips using the P85 as a reference, an overall 15% improvement vs previously.

Now that's what I'm talking about, Tesla.

Right. The more things that are changed, the more unintended consequences are created, and the longer it takes to fix them--it takes even longer to fix them correctly.
Actually... the more frequent the change, the less amount of things that are changed at once, the less likely to introduce unintended consequences.

Agile software development life cycle is based on this principle. You release more frequently. You release "minimal viable product". You don't try to take on massive updates.

Massive updates introduce massive amounts of bugs. Any decent developer can design a standalone feature... its when you mix multiple features with multiple dependencies into massive software updates that you introduce unintended consequences.

Last edited:
Range mode disables the battery pack heating. If your goal is to preheat the battery pack using shore power, you need to turn off range mode when you exit the car, and then turn it back on when you start driving. This is one of the main reasons I don't like the fact that torque sleep is so tied to range mode.

Per Jerome, torque sleep is not tied to range mode.

So now i am wondering if part of the problem is insane mode. I think before we never tried to use normal mode and see the what the consumption is and now suddenly everybody tries sport and range mode.

Of all of you who get that low numbers, can you please report the results in insane and standard mode ? Mine improved but I am still at more than 400 wh/mile on average.

I will do some tests this weekend with highway travelling in any kind of combination , i.e. sport/vs insane vs range vs standard.

Anyway, it is RIDICULOUS that we have to do all those stupid tests because Tesla is to incompetent to simply COMMUNICATE !!! They know all the answers, three lines of information would be enough to stop the guessing.

I think he is referring to the lack of communication and, to be honest, that is a complaint that many have over various issues: firmware upgrades, delivery status, etc.

Right, that was my understanding as well. I don't own a P85D but I can see why owners are upset. An update that addresses a serious issue with efficiency was not even explained in the release notes. I don't understand that.

Just a side note - today we in Japan started receiving the first 6.1 release and sounds like 80% of us who installed the update saw it failed with the following issues.
1. No ride height adjustment for air suspension cars
2. No rearview camera video
3. Error message in Instrument Console saying "Software Update Required Contact Tesla service".
4. Oddmeter now says -----km instead of actual numbers.

soft reset for both screens didn't work. The car is drivable.

Tesla technical support is voice-mail and not returning calls. I guess they need to test the update installation much more throughly.

Just a side note - today we in Japan started receiving the first 6.1 release and sounds like 80% of us who installed the update saw it failed with the following issues.
1. No ride height adjustment for air suspension cars
2. No rearview camera video
3. Error message in Instrument Console saying "Software Update Required Contact Tesla service".
4. Oddmeter now says -----km instead of actual numbers.

soft reset for both screens didn't work. The car is drivable.

Tesla technical support is voice-mail and not returning calls. I guess they need to test the update installation much more throughly.
I had the same odometer display problem, among other display problems, when I first got 6.1 build .113. The problems were fixed when they pushed build .115 to me two days later.

We don't really know that. He wasn't explicit. I posted the following, earlier in this thread:

There's still some ambiguity in Jerome's statement. It may have been unintentional. He wrote: "Torque sleep and improved range for Dual Motor vehicles is included in versions 2.2.139 and later regardless of the selected Range Mode setting. However, the amount of this improvement will be increased by enabling Range Mode which has other vehicle control modifications in addition to the HVAC behavior."

What I'm wondering is, is he saying:

a) that the increased efficiency from torque sleep will be seen whether we are in range mode or not, but we will see even better range, due to the other benefits of range mode, if we use range mode or
b) that the increased efficiency from torque sleep will be seen whether we are in range mode or not, but that we will see even more of that increased efficiency from torque sleep in range mode, along with other additional efficiency benefits of range mode.

I am hoping it is a), but based on the wording, I don't think we can be certain.

Oh, and I don't believe anyone who has been reporting the increased range has done a test yet showing similar or identical results with range mode on and range mode off. There are people like lolachampcar reporting increased range with range mode off, but no one who has done a loop type test with one loop including range mode on and one with it off and results that matched.

Last edited: