Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the update here too. What ever happened to the conventional wisdom that it can take months to roll out an update to all users? I have only owned my P85D for seven weeks and I have received at least four updates in that time.
Wayne, in the early days, updates quite frequent as things were sorted out. With D, it is clear the flurry relates to rolling out and polishing torque sleep. Then I would bet big that updates resume normal pace with less priority for D's.

Last edited:
@andrewket and @stevezzzz lol! I will try to get some Range Mode ON testing in and see what happens. If I don't report back then send a ranger. :tongue:

Yes, and you might want to make sure that you are in cell phone coverage during these tests... My drives that need extra Tesla range are often out of cell phone range. I appreciate you test pilots out there. :eek:

I installed .179 and called my service center to see if they knew whether it was advisable to resume using Range mode. Relayed through the tech who answered the phone, the service manager said No, don't use Range mode yet. I have a request in for a callback (he was busy with another customer) to find out if he knows more.

I installed .179 and called my service center to see if they knew whether it was advisable to resume using Range mode. Relayed through the tech who answered the phone, the service manager said No, don't use Range mode yet. I have a request in for a callback (he was busy with another customer) to find out if he knows more.

*sigh*

Wayne, in the early days, updates quite frequent as things were sorted out. With D, it is clear the flurry relates to rolling out and polishing torque sleep. Then I would bet big that updates resume normal pace with less priority for D's.
I am not just talking about frequency of updates, I also mean the length of time to roll out an update to all vehicles. It sure seems like pretty much everyone is getting the updates within a matter of days or hours, not weeks.

Yes, and we know how well the local service people are updated on new issues. Let's see what the final word is...

Stevezzzz, I am sure that you will ask, from where the information comes.

I am not just talking about frequency of updates, I also mean the length of time to roll out an update to all vehicles. It sure seems like pretty much everyone is getting the updates within a matter of days or hours, not weeks.

I think that may be due to the fact that many of the recent updates have been for the P85Ds only, or they've started with the P85Ds, and there are still a relatively small number of P85Ds out there, so it's not that hard for Tesla to get an update out to all of us at once.

Another possibility is that Tesla may have added capacity to push updates for the P85Ds and right now they are way under that capacity, because they have really just started selling the P85D.

Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth!

I still haven't heard back from the service manager about his recommendation not to use Range mode yet, but I did go out and exercise .179 with Range mode on and Insane selected. Under firmware .167 I had experienced the "Service needed - Power Reduced" error, once, in Range mode. But today's test drive didn't produce anything out of the ordinary, even though I tried to induce a failure by cycling in and out of torque sleep constantly at various cruise speeds from 30 mph to 65mph and various rates of acceleration from modest to fully Insane. It doesn't prove anything, of course, but it's a data point.

For completeness: 15° F, sunny, mostly flat, dry roads (mostly: we've had a lot of snow lately), no wind. Drove 28.5 miles @352 Wh/mi; 19" Hakka R2; air suspension.

Last edited:
Completely unscientific test. Insane Mode. Range Mode ON. 30.3 mi, 12.7 kWh, 418 Wh/mi. 34-36F, drizzle, wet roads. TACC on and off (very smooth), mixture of city/highway, hills, curves, flat, some spirited, mostly normal driving (my usual driving style), used heater like normal (didn't notice any difference). Not ideal conditions at all, but torque sleep definitely enabled at times by look of energy graph dropping off. Too much road noise with wet roads to hear any change in motor noise. No issues, no warnings. Considering the conditions I'd say that 418 Wh/mi was very good. Basically, I could drive with Insane/Range ON all the time like this and not notice any difference in how the car performs, but clearly see a difference in efficiency.