Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we may be talking about different things.

Also note that the lightning bolt first appeared in 4.5 (and that's what I was referring to)...
Firmware 4.5 - Page 6

(See the 2nd screenshot in that post.)

It seems Tesla probably introduced it in 4.5, removed it sometime later, and then is now reintroducing the icon with changed functionality.

Right, it was in 4.5 and on, up until 5.9 when they removed it because they just put them all on the map by default (if I recall, they wouldn't even show on the map previously until you hit the button).

So 5.8 and earlier to see the locations on the map you had to hit the icon in the top right hand corner. In 5.9-6.1 you had all the charging locations always on the map (regardless of what active searches you had or didn't have up) so they removed the icon. It seems that they have now added the icon back to the screen so you can search for nearby chargers instead of having to pull up the menu for visited chargers or drag and zoom on the map.

Hope that makes sense? (as assuming that I am remembering the software version history correctly)

It's like the best of both worlds.

- - - Updated - - -

It should also be mentioned that the charging locations you see on your navigation screen are Tesla-only charging stations. They do not include locations from Blink, ChargePoint, EVGo, etc. They also do not include any CHAdeMO stations, only Superchargers and "destination" HPWCs.

It does include visited chargers though, right? So if you "knew" a charger was there... like your own house... for example... it should show up in the list right?

Blind spot: I was in my lane, not turning or anything and I got the two red lines and tone for impending doom. A complete false alarm.

I too had a complete false alarm. I was in the left lane and perhaps there was a guardrail to my left, but no traffic lane and no cars and I got the red lines and tone to my left.

In my opinion, the blind sport warning should not appear in the instrument cluster. That requires you to look at your instrument cluster while changing lanes, which is not where you should be looking during a lane change. It would appear the other manufacturers have this right - put the indicator on the side view mirrors. That's most likely where you are looking at that moment.

I'd prefer it in the side view mirror, but that is impossible with replacing the actual mirror units and probably changing the wiring harness to the mirror. I'm not crazy about it right now, but maybe I'll get used to it and like it. I need to get a friend to let me try to lane change into him to see what the steering wheel feedback is like.

got 6.2 on sunday, had a couple days now to play with it. you guys have already said a lot but here's two things that i'd like to share:

charger-aware navigation - seems super helpful. i entered a destination, and it told me to stop at two Superchargers, one for 20 mins, one for 15 mins. later, with the car at a very different SOC, i entered that same destination, and it told me the exact same thing - stop at the one SpC for 20 mins, the other for 15. it smartly seemed to be figuring out only how much i'd need to get to the next point, not how much i'd need to refill. just was glad to see that working.

blind spot warning - i really want this to be useful. but the first level "white arc" warning is barely noticeable unless you're looking right at it. i'd have expected a yellow line instead, as a warning symbol.

i've been driving like a moron trying to observe its behavior, trying to keep cars in my right-side blind spot to see when it turns on and off (super smart, i know). what i've noticed is that it doesn't light up just because there's a car back there; it seems to light up when the FRONT of a car is back there. for example, it lights up if the front of a longer vehicle (truck etc) is back there, but once that long vehicle/truck pulls forward a little bit, it no longer activates the white arc warning, even though there is still something in the blind spot.

also the gradient ends of the arc segments do not match other design / visual elements we are used to -- notice that front/back radar proximity warnings have clear, thick arcs with clean ends.

the second level "red arcs" warning is much easier to see than the white one. i did get it to come up once: i was in the right lane alongside a highway barrier. the barrier ended and a new lane opened further to the right. i changed into the new further right lane, and the red arcs lit up, presumably because it sensed the abrupt end of the barrier. i was surprised the beep/alert was not particularly loud like the Forward Collision warning, rather it was much less noticeable.

it's a good start, and will hopefully be refined in future upgrades.

Got home around 6:00 pm, checked about an hour later and update was ready to go. Started the update and a couple of hours later it was done.

Sometime during the middle of the update, I thought I heard music, looked in the garage and the car was completely dark, but streaming audio, think it did that until right before update was done.
I had the same thing. I was checking to see if it was done and it was playing music. Everything was black and inoperative except for the music.

Based on Elon's presentation at the D event, this is what I was expecting for blind spot warning, but maybe it will come with 7.O.

Blind Spot.JPG

just got another update notification at 830. received 6.2 on monday. Car is out of possession at the moment so i cant verify or install anything. will have car back tomorrow morning/noon

I got a new update notification too and kicked the install off 20 min ago. I suspect it's a re-push of the original 6.2 given the troubles I've had with the install yesterday as posted upthread - the TMC-forum-watching guardian angels (Hi!!) must have taken note of my plight :)

updated my P85D to 6.2, no speed or acceleration increases.... disappointing since it was said to be in this release...

same exact times as a few weeks ago, 11.6 @ 115.x MPH with 0-60 in 3.1 and 0-100 in 8.3....

Sounds like Elon's inverter tweet was just another thinking out loud deal which may or may not even happen... his online ramblings are getting old because he's quickly being known to over-promise and under deliver more times than not.

Emergency braking scares me. Haven't experienced it yet, but I can see somebody plowing right into me if it decides there is an emergency when there is not.

The Emergency braking, as announced, was never going to kick in unless a frontal collision was unavoidable. This is from the original press kit:

--
Automatic Emergency Braking
This new Collision Avoidance Assist feature automatically engages the brakes to reduce the impact of an unavoidable frontal collision.
--

As many of us had predicted the Emergency Braking function is not tied directly into the Collision Detection function. I had someone cut me off on the interstate and the familiar Collision Detection alarm went off, but Emergency Braking was not activated.

Not sure who was "predicting" anything about it. There has been some confusion on these boards about it since the announcement, but some of us have been posting that excerpt and explaining it whenever this issue comes up.

he's quickly being known to over-promise and under deliver more times than not.

That is balderdash. A tweet is hardly "rambling". In fact, a tweet by design is too short to go into detail, so we start guessing the other thousand words. He's delivered the vast majority of the time. Just because we spend weeks and 1,000 posts on this forum reading our fantasies into his 100 character tweet does not mean Tesla has under-delivered. The only thing Musk has been off on (consistently) is timing. If the inverter algorithm improvement is not in 6.2, then we should expect it will be in a future release once it is sufficiently tested. And, who knows, it may be in 6.2. No disrespect to Fikse, but it is *REALLY* hard to detect a 1/10 second improvement.

This question obviously isn't just for me. It probably applies to a lot of people because if the route won't change drastically, the nav system isn't going to be useful in many situations for many people. If, however, it will radically alter the route once the superchargers are removed, then the nav system will just be a bit of a pain to use, but at least it --CAN-- be used.

And either way, it sounds like we need to start writing Tesla to ask for an option to override the "supercharger only" route, and be able to accept a direct route, along with whatever warnings they want to throw at us in the process.

Thanks!

If you're going to need to stop and charge for a while at some other charger, wouldn't you normally set the nav to bring you to the charger anyway, instead of your final destination? I imagine that's what Tesla expected. Whole trip planning doesn't work with random chargers, because there is too much variability in how long you are going to need to charge.

I posted early this morning about what I thought could very well be a change to the way the pack is being heated in 6.2:

The huge unexpected positive is that I'm fairly certain this firmware update has significantly improved the pack heating when on shore power. I say that because while it was 29 degrees F here when my wife left this morning, she left without a regen limit. That has never happened before in conditions quite a bit warmer than this. Add to that the following bit of information: we normally preheat the car, with range mode off, to warm the pack, for anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes in the morning, before she leaves. This morning we did not do that, because I didn't want her to try to connect with the app before I saw car-side whether or not the update had completed successfully. I had timed the charge of the batter to end within about 30 minutes of when she was leaving, but I usually come pretty close to that. It has been our experience that no matter what we have done to heat the pack in the past when on shore power, the pack never heats beyond a regen limt of 30 if it is cold enough to limit regen beyond that, as it certainly was this morning.

I realize this is only one data point, but unless this was some weird side effect of the actual firmware update process, and not a feature built into the firmware, I am very pleased about this. It may mean we no longer have to preheat the cabin to warm the pack when on shore power, or that we don't have to preheat it as much, and / or that we can get more regen available from doing so.

I'm hoping to hear others confirm similar experiences. It'll mean even more coming from those who didn't just complete the firmware update.

Well, I can't say any more about the change above, but I drove the car this evening and I noticed another change. It's not inconsistent with the one above.

My wife had returned home from work and her hour drive with the Tesla, so the pack was good and warm. The car sat around for about 45 minutes, and then I took it on a very short trip, where I then let it sit in the cold for close to two hours. The temperature was probably about 35 degrees F, give or take. I didn't preheat the car, and when I started on my very short (5-7 minute) drive back home the regen bar was at about 15. I had range mode on, so I would have expected it to stay there for my entire trip home. Well, I'm not sure at what point it happened, but at some point before I got home the regen line disappeared entirely!

Assuming my car is not malfunctioning, and somehow pack heating and regen changes have been incorporated into 6.2, I'm really not sure how to explain that. Clearly the pack could not have been heated significantly in the very short time I was driving. I know people here have talked about Tesla learning things about the batteries' real capabilities with respect to supercharging and the taper, and how perhaps Tesla could now be somewhat more aggressive. I wonder if perhaps Tesla has decided that for short bursts of regen, the pack can accept that kind of charge while at lower temperatures, without damage, and has modified the regen limits and associated pack temperatures accordingly. If so, that would also explain what I saw this morning, (although that could also be explained by having heated the pack to a higher temperature while on shore power.)

I'll be driving the car tomorrow, and will not have charged it immediately before. It will have been on shore power. I'll preheat the cabin for a while first, as I always do, and see how my regen tomorrow compares with what it has been in the past.

I'd be interested in hearing if others are seeing changes consistent with what I'm seeing.

Ver 6.2 (2.4.124) definitely a one of the best stable release.
Pros:
- Instrument cluster boots faster or i would say restored how it was earlier
- Center Touch screen used to freeze before this release and now no reset in 1 week
- TACC is definitely better and matured

Cons: (not exactly)
- Blind spot warning (this is ok but i hope this feature gets matured like TACC over time. Compared to my wife's Infiniti and real time experience i'm not impressed this feature how it is now)
I see the car in side mirror when the warning is on, what is the point ?
I turned my indicator on when there was a car/traffic in the blind spot but no added alert or warning.
How about prevention compared to intervention ???

- - - Updated - - -

+ Slacker responds faster or restored !!!!!!

Yeah, the current implementation of blind spot detection is not at all reliable. I tested it by driving on 101 and 280 today and the vehicle would not detect over 80% of the vehicles that were in my blindspot. I also tried to get it to trigger by bleeding into other lanes and I got no alerts even when a car was in the blindspot. Ironically, I got two false positives while overtaking cars.