Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with most here and really do not like this new dash display. It looks really dumbed down, nearly as bad as the Toyota Prius, displaying much less information than the current dash. I will definitely avoid this "upgrade" unless it is accompanied by something really spectacular like the increased acceleration of the P85's.
The clock and toy car are really bad... IMHO.

What a waste of center screen real estate. Now I have to look left to see the range on the battery and right for the gear and power.. Even worse is I will have to look at the center screen for this time, because I'm not going to waste one of the two dashboard spaces on a clock. I preferred as much as possible to be directly in front of me.

What possible reason would there be to remove the rated range line from the energy graph? I can compare the number shown to what I know the rated Wh/mile is for a 60, but the visual comparison is much easier.

- - - Updated - - -

i'm a total Tesla newbie (only about 15 hours behind a wheel), but that MCU UI looks the same as the old UI but with dark theme instead of light.
It's a flatter design. No borders around the A/C controls, for example.

Looking at the pictures Cattledog added (great pictures) I can't stop wondering what the toy car accomplishes in MS versions that don't have autopilot sensors. It can't show what is around you or the lane markings on the road, yet it shows the toy car in the middle. At some point they need to switch to different software versions that is best for that specific hardware.

i'm a total Tesla newbie (only about 15 hours behind a wheel), but that MCU UI looks the same as the old UI but with dark theme instead of light.

The IC UI has obviously changed, as some have noted. :)

The touchscreen UI is similiar but certainly different. For one thing, it already improves upon a big pet peeve of mine with the current UI. It doesn't use all the screen real estate. I hate UI that's the have needless margins and large gaps between the elements. The map on the current UI can easily cover another inch of display around the borders after doing away with the embossed borders and gradients.

The lack of an accurate power meter is probably the only real loss of functionality I see here. That's kind of a deal breaker for me for long trips. I like to know exactly how much power I'm pulling on acceleration. Keeping acceleration under ~40kW maximizes capacity, and I see no way to do that based on the images I've seen so far.

Nothing seems missing on the IC as far as I can tell, and everything else seems identical, functionality wise, on the 17". The charge button on the top missing might take a little getting used to, but that's fine. Odd they'd remove it.

And I'm firmly in the camp of minimalist UI and progressive disclosure of information (the act of progressively revealing more detailed information rather than providing it all at once). I work in UI design for unmanned aircraft and I can tell you there's a limited amount of information a person can discern and decipher at one time (and it's pretty small). I like the clean(er) look of the new UI and I'm excited overall with where Telsa is headed with these changes. Hopefully over time we'll see even further refinements and tweaks.

I'd much rather drive this:
behancep1_tesla kopie 2.png

than this...
article-0-127C59A3000005DC-377_634x388.jpg

Cattledog - Can you take the car for a drive and send more pics and video of the UI while driving?

I'm much ;less concerned by the cosmetic changes than I am by the lack of reported functionality improvements. No changes whatsoever to the poor audio player?
I am also disappointed that there is still no tire pressure reading:mad:
I speculate that the speedometer simplified display and toy car is reserving room for the lane keeping graphics, while minimizing clutter in that area. Non AP car should have the option to keep present style display.

Last edited:
If you look at Cattledogs 3rd picture (the one with the power graph on the right of the spedometer, isn't the outside dial going to show you instantaneous power? Looks like it's an instantaneous power meter to me...

It is an instantaneous power meter, but the complaint is that it's no longer part of the speedometer that's always shown on instrument cluster.

Thats not a fair comparison.
The Tesla equivalent of taking the start button out would be taking the steering wheel out.
And to top it all, Microsoft insisted that nobody used the start button.

Hey Tesla engineers, if you're reading this - GOOD JOB ON THE UI. Get the functionality done, and release it. UI can be tweaked later too. You'll never please everyone! Just focus on pleasing me :), and I'm happy with the UI :)

As usual, I'm a nobody. I'm still with Windows 7 and use the Start button all the time. I have never used desktop icons.