Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A video player?

Signs of the Zodiac?

An Orrery?

A Flux Capacitor?

A Stargate?

Would you prefer this version of the clock?

youll_be_late_anyway_clock-r441bf52e98fd4c2281b384704bf91e3a_fup1s_8byvr_512.jpg

If the car is slowing down, then the brake lights should come on. I get that.

But there are instances I see everyday, where that's not what's happening. For example, I'm often in highway traffic that's going fast, but not at a constant speed. Out of the hundreds of cars on that stretch of road, the sole cars with brakes coming on briefly and regularly are the Teslas in front of me. (And the occasional extreme tailgater)

My belief is that many (most?) Tesla drivers are not proficient one-foot drivers and they are unaware exactly how often their driving style lights the brakes and causes unnecessary concern for the cars behind.

IMO, a training aid is needed. The only way to see brake illumination from inside the car today is from the charging screen, which isn't safe to review while driving. So, only half in jest, I suggest a brake "idiot light" on the dash for the first 500 miles driven in each new driver profile.

When I first got my car I got on the hwy at night and trained myself. Just put on the rear camera and drive for a bit. You'll find where they engage in just a few minutes of experimentation

I think it's pretty clear that these "accidental" upgrades are intentional. I can see one or 2 accidents, but after the first one, they would have halted all releases until they could have figured out what was wrong.

They wanted to do this so they could get our opinions, and also "under promise/over deliver" I suspect these releases are not indicative of what we will see in the actual release. This way when they release it and it' way better than we expect we'll be extremely happy.

I seriously doubt it. What is far more likely is fat-fingering some VINs in the authorization process for EAP rollouts.

No sane company would fake-release product updates to solicit feedback in this manner. The feedback being generated here is extremely low signal-to-noise ratio.

Nor would anyone in their right mind fake-release a crappy product so their actual product looks better in comparison.

But why make something that's essentially "perfect" (6.2) and screw it all up and move things off the main screen that are really quite unobtrusive (time/temp/date, etc) and used all the time?

Perfect for you. What you don't know if what feedback Tesla is privy to that they are not sharing, and which could potentially be a driving force behind such a redesign.

And if it is intentional and being driven by something, the obvious inference is that there was a look of feedback that the existing UI is confusing and off-putting. They're clearly going for streamlining it (or, if you're less charitable, "dumbing it down").

What I'm hearing a lot right now is enthusiast power users complaining about the loss of a lot of esoteric information radiators that may be of no interest to a non-enthusiasts.

It might just be growing pains...

If Tesla has the bandwidth, they could offer various widget options so that power users could be happy as well as more mainstream users. (But oh, the support burden of such an approach in a mass-market product!)

When I first got my car I got on the hwy at night and trained myself. Just put on the rear camera and drive for a bit. You'll find where they engage in just a few minutes of experimentation

"Go train yourself how to drive a Tesla properly!" Talk about something the mass-market would love to hear!

(I'm not arguing that it might be valuable or even necessary, but I have no doubt that Tesla does not want to push any message like this...)

- - - Updated - - -

No one.
Except Coca-Cola.
And Microsoft.

Neither was on purpose, and both were harmful to their company (hugely so in Microsoft's case).

Yeah, I'm also of the camp that the "leaks" were intentional. And I'm really looking forward to the improvements they'll make due to our feedback.
Do you think they chose the people to whom it was leaked? As in they knew my wife and I were of weak constitution and would immediately post to TMC? Actually...

- - - Updated - - -

Are you kidding? Do you realize how much stuff we had to move to get to those pitchforks? :)
+1.1

- - - Updated - - -

Or... maybe a space for a Taco Bell ad-- you know, Tesla could monetize that space. It's just going to waste!
Hmmmm....