Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla didn't care about the UI, they wouldn't have beta testing & solicit input from a pre-selected group of customers. They'd just use professional drivers to test the functionality and call it a day. But they don't do that.

A customizable drag and drop UI for a vehicle would be a really bad idea - 'Where did I put that button?' is not the question I want to hear the driver mumble while speeding along in heavy traffic. :)

Agree re drag and drop not right for a car, but standard/advanced mode definitely could work to keep the wider customer base happy.
There should also be a clear Reset button( as a first line of defence for SCs) to set everything back to a default to avoid the "where did that button go?" questions.

In my experience Alpha testing is typically where user feedback is invited for usability , layout, features etc.
Beta testing is more usually a field trial with a select group of users to ensure there are no bugs or compatibility issues with real world configurations.
In other words, assuming this release to indeed be a Beta release, the majority of the features would now be set ... so I think it is fair that ppl here reflect their opinion on what might be quite close to a public release (it's not going to get a ground up rewrite in 2 months) in the maybe vain hope that there is still an opportunity for some revisions.

(Though I have to admit the lines are somewhat blurred these days.)

I would like to see Tesla implement configurable dash layouts much like Cadillac, and I'm sure others, have done. Those who like the minimalist "flat" look can have it and others, who prefer a more traditional look could select that:

Last edited by a moderator:
There has to be some sort of astrological phenomena going on because this forum has gone to 11 in negativity recently.

I'm not sure it is astrological... more like void response. Nothing new happening, tail end of 6.2 (and maybe 6.X) so no new features even dribbling out, some anxiously awaiting X, some anxiously awaiting further auto-pilot, some awaiting further 3 news. This accidental 7.0 alpha/beta leak and the HP tempest (in a teacup IMHO) are the only games in town for forum addicts. So, we spin, spin, spin until there's something real to rave about.

Heh, there's plenty of (re)posting in this thread of photos which are theoretically copyright and where we all know they weren't intended to be in the public domain.

Nothing released to the general community by mistake is technically copyrighted materials - may not have been intended for public though. With either case it is gathering feedback that Tesla could use from this board. This is a tiny part of the overall owners out there and perhaps a more passionate/technical crowd. If Tesla is smart they can use the 100s of post here, pull out the good & bad feedback, and implement changes before releasing an official software update.

My concern is really that I'd hope the auto steer comes out soon - a simple re skin of the UI being released was not even a concern. That as well as the fact that there are much more important things we've been asking for like a TPMS view, improvements to iOS app to use cold weather, etc. Tesla needs better product managers in any Scrum development teams as their backlog prioritization skills stink.

Wow, its shocking to me how adverse people are to folks simply offering an opinion on a forum. That's what forums are for guys. And I do think many of the issues raised here are legitimate and need to be considered before general release. It's not just design, it's functionality (or lack there of) in many cases that is getting the most attention here.

I have no problem with people offering opinions. I was merely offering my informed opinion regarding those who suggested that this was an intentional leak to get customer feedback (or even more extravagantly, leaked a known inferior version so that the ultimate version would look better in comparison).

I have no problem with people offering opinions. I was merely offering my informed opinion regarding those who suggested that this was an intentional leak to get customer feedback (or even more extravagantly, leaked a known inferior version so that the ultimate version would look better in comparison).

I likewise don't have a problem with it. However, I treat them as such. In my view, opinions register in the noise category of SNR, hence my comment. I'm not suggesting that opinions are noisy or not worth reading - I myself have posted 400+ times and most of those are noise in SNR parlance!

Seems to be several posts here indicating folks are somewhat out of line for evaluating what may not even be a final design. That having been said, I'm going to react to what I do or don't like about it. And, in an attempt to "keep the SNR level high", several folks did so providing with specific examples of why, and providing the reasoning for the comments. We also provided constructive feedback regarding what we feel makes up a good UI in general, and one for piloting an EV in specific.

To the extent that I have been one of the "several posts", I have zero opinionated objection to constructive feedback.

There have been more than a few decent pieces of feedback, though some fail to identify (or realize) their biased perspective (experienced users are always biased -- not in a bad way, necessarily, but their experiences generate a false sense of, for example, the intuitiveness of things like dials and gauges with which they are now intimately familiar).

There have, however, been quite a few more "that sux0rs!" or equivalent posts, and the S/N there severely impacts the ability to absorb the more thoughtful feedback.

Given this appears to be an inadvertent push from Tesla we don't have a lot of info to go on. Thus, you need to modulate your personal level of concern over both the UI itself, and the responses to it, appropriately.

But don't take a reasonably well-thought out response and assume that the poster doesn't realize this could not be indicative of the final product at all.

Fair enough, and thoughtfully put.

- - - Updated - - -

In my experience Alpha testing is typically where user feedback is invited for usability , layout, features etc.
Beta testing is more usually a field trial with a select group of users to ensure there are no bugs or compatibility issues with real world configurations.
In other words, assuming this release to indeed be a Beta release, the majority of the features would now be set ... so I think it is fair that ppl here reflect their opinion on what might be quite close to a public release (it's not going to get a ground up rewrite in 2 months) in the maybe vain hope that there is still an opportunity for some revisions.

I agree. If this is Beta, then it's likely pretty much what will ship.

Going back to the drawing board on major UX elements at this point in time really puts you back in Alpha.

Even if they decide they want to take some of the feedback, it may well be that they ship a fixed version of this UX and then patch it later, rather than delaying for additional months.

Or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Heh, there's plenty of (re)posting in this thread of photos which are theoretically copyright and where we all know they weren't intended to be in the public domain.

If you accidentally reveal information to the public that you wish was kept confidential, you have lost all rights to hold it confidential. It ain't anymore, bubbie.

Most NDAs also handle this case where you are off the hook for revealing information that was made public somewhere else legally (even if mistakenly).

If this release was deliberate by Tesla (and I can't see why it would be) then it doesn't seem to have been very well managed.

If it is an inadvertant release then it doesn't seem to have been very well managed.

Ah.

At this point convention would have it that a representative of the Company would stand up to provide a plausible explanation.

How about "Just Elon having a bit of fun with you. Enjoy, the real one will be along soon enough"

I know it's been asked in passing a few times, but I feel it bears repeating:

Apart from the minor cosmetic changes to the MCU apps, no review of improvements to nav or media apps? Do they run exactly the same as 6.2, but with flatter buttons?

I know a lot of folks are hoping for significant improvements in both areas in 7...

It is very nearly impossible to put this genie back in the bottle. Those photos have already appeared in electronic articles about 7.0 now. Like it or not, that ship has sailed.

I agree. If this is Beta, then it's likely pretty much what will ship.

Going back to the drawing board on major UX elements at this point in time really puts you back in Alpha.

Also, with all the public clamor to release the autopilot software, there is approximately zero chance they would delay that while people fiddled with the UI. It is also a bit silly to hold very strong opinions about the usability of a car interface when you have only seen still photographs of same. Its very difficult to know if the design trade-offs were worth it. For instance, I'd take a simplified interface if they solved the responsiveness issues.

Apart from the minor cosmetic changes to the MCU apps, no review of improvements to nav or media apps? Do they run exactly the same as 6.2, but with flatter buttons?

I know a lot of folks are hoping for significant improvements in both areas in 7...

I don't think we know much about the media at all. On FB there were some comments by one of the two posters that subsequently deleted his posts saying that the nav system had been changed, but all he really reported on were cosmetic changes (more 3d effect in the instrument panel display is the one thing I recall).

If all 7.0 brings is a new UI skin, it's a complete fail in my book even if it includes Autopilot. I want tire pressure readings, improved media app, and improved navigation with multiple waypoints. I would also like Speed Assist to come to non-AP cars because that information is already in the navigation database. There are many things higher up on my list than Autopilot.

If all 7.0 brings is a new UI skin, it's a complete fail in my book even if it includes Autopilot.

I think even if it does bring new features, but has that ugly UI, it'll be a failure in my book. I really, really hate the flat, "minimalist" look on my iPhone, hate it on my Windows 10 PC and don't like what I'm seeing here. I suppose I should simmer down until I actually see it in person, but I'm not optimistic.