Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my 85D gas been at the SC since Wednesday getting a 50k mile service and a replacement rear strut for some noise issues, and on Thursday I got an update complete alert as well as one today. Mobile access is disabled so I can't check the version, but I'm surprised to get two builds at the same SC visit. I'm hoping to get my car back tonight.

I wonder if the 2.14.66 rollout is not universal. It seem like a lot of cars got the update on 3/18, and not many since then. I am still on 2.12.126 as well. I wonder if a problem has been found with 2.14.66 ("Short Circuit Breaker").
I don't think so. I was at the service center yesterday afternoon for an unrelated issue (charge door wouldn't stay closed as magnetic disc separated from the door) and they flashed 2.14.66.

I am hoping that the update has helped with the Model X Falcon Wing Doors stopping during close about 50% of the time. The doors worked fine early on, but then began to stop halfway with a message that something was in the way when it was not.

Today, multiple cycles of opening and closing have not resulted in the partial close. I will post again if the problem resurfaces. Hopefully the update addressed the issue.

I don't think so. I was at the service center yesterday afternoon for an unrelated issue (charge door wouldn't stay closed as magnetic disc separated from the door) and they flashed 2.14.66.
Of course you have to realize that the service center will typically install the latest firmware, regardless of whether or not it would have been pushed to your car OTA.

Reactions: Andyw2100
Of course you have to realize that the service center will typically install the latest firmware, regardless of whether or not it would have been pushed to your car OTA.

Exactly!

And just to elaborate on this a bit, based on the data collected in the tracker, and on what people have been reporting, there is no evidence to suggest that when an update is recognized as having a bug, and thus OTA pushes are stopped, that service centers are notified as well, and stop installing those specific updates. Tesla internal communications just aren't that good, or this just isn't deemed important enough.

Now don't get me wrong: I expect if there was a really significant issue or one that posed a safety concern, Tesla would communicate properly, and prevent the update in question from being installed on additional cars. But to date that has not been the issue, as the bugs have, for the most part, been relatively minor. It appears the typical progression is the bug is identified, OTA updates stop, a new version is released via OTA, and usually the following day that new version begins being installed at the service centers. Until the new version hits the service centers, the old, buggy version would still be installed at service centers during that usually short interim period between when the buggy version was no longer pushed OTA and the fixed version was released.

Exactly!

And just to elaborate on this a bit, based on the data collected in the tracker, and on what people have been reporting, there is no evidence to suggest that when an update is recognized as having a bug, and thus OTA pushes are stopped, that service centers are notified as well, and stop installing those specific updates. Tesla internal communications just aren't that good, or this just isn't deemed important enough.

Now don't get me wrong: I expect if there was a really significant issue or one that posed a safety concern, Tesla would communicate properly, and prevent the update in question from being installed on additional cars. But to date that has not been the issue, as the bugs have, for the most part, been relatively minor. It appears the typical progression is the bug is identified, OTA updates stop, a new version is released via OTA, and usually the following day that new version begins being installed at the service centers. Until the new version hits the service centers, the old, buggy version would still be installed at service centers during that usually short interim period between when the buggy version was no longer pushed OTA and the fixed version was released.

Right. I'm with you on the bug (or lack thereof) argument. It's just odd trying to figure out their release methodology. I figured if it was a limited-release test build, only a few users would have received it, as we saw in some of the previous builds. But if it was a general-release build, we should be seeing numbers in the 300+ range on the tracker, as was the case with the original 7.1 release. But this one is somewhere in the middle.

Right. I'm with you on the bug (or lack thereof) argument. It's just odd trying to figure out their release methodology. I figured if it was a limited-release test build, only a few users would have received it, as we saw in some of the previous builds. But if it was a general-release build, we should be seeing numbers in the 300+ range on the tracker, as was the case with the original 7.1 release. But this one is somewhere in the middle.
But every version has a bug. That's why there's always a next version.

An update to 2.14.66 was offered to me OTA on 3/18, but I waited until 3/20 to install. Since install I have felt like the autopilot has been slightly less effective. I only had the car a week prior to the update, but autopilot was working great. I started noticing that after 2.14.66 the car felt like it was bouncing more within a lane, with a couple of instances of a drift almost over the lane without any cars around, and sometimes to the side where there was a car. Is anyone else seeing anything similar?

The problem did occur again.

One other change has occurred recently. My Model X driver seat lowers to the lowest position when the second row is moved forward and back with the Easy Entry button.

...while interesting about model X, and not meaning any offense at all (trying to be very respectful!), hopefully your comments are being put in appropriate MX forums where MX owners may gain benefit from your observations. I have only an MS, so I don't frequent the MX forums and find MX-specific posts interesting, but not always something that seems applicable to MS. I'm not a Mod and have no problem with posting here, just suggesting since TMC has elected to have distinct forums by model and not common forums for items that cross models like some other auto forums do (e.g. Service, detailing, common infotainment & firmware, etc.), for owners that have both models there may be a more appropriate place for MX-specific posts than the MS firmware thread. PEACE!

...while interesting about model X, and not meaning any offense at all (trying to be very respectful!), hopefully your comments are being put in appropriate MX forums where MX owners may gain benefit from your observations...
No problem. I used my service center punch list of 45 items to help edit the check list that could be used during every Model X delivery.

All the problems have been discussed and Tesla Motors received pages of items to correct with a photo image to illustrate each problem. This has been a long term project since the December 31st delivery date. An update of the corrections has taken hours of forum time.

Tesla Motors continues to make changes to parts that have yet to be installed to correct the parts that do not function correctly. There are only a handful of issues left for a better solution.

My GPS has been about 100 feet off after the 2.12.126 (or maybe 2.12.22, it was only a week prior)
I contacted ServiceHelpNA, and they said that they forwarded the issue to the service center, but I have not heard anything. Restarting the console fixes it temporarily, but goes back to being off on after not driving. I didn't really want to take up service center's time, as it is appears to be a software problem.

My GPS has been about 100 feet off after the 2.12.126 (or maybe 2.12.22, it was only a week prior)
I contacted ServiceHelpNA, and they said that they forwarded the issue to the service center, but I have not heard anything. Restarting the console fixes it temporarily, but goes back to being off on after not driving. I didn't really want to take up service center's time, as it is appears to be a software problem.

Check my post in this thread to see if its related: Charging question -- MS ignoring 24amp charging limit

Engineering should already be aware, but its not yet fixed as of 2.14.66.

GPS is super accurate when going forward, and continue forward when you go in reverse.

My car was delivered with 2.10.71 "Expectans Lenimentus" and I haven't had any update notices. Perhaps that one is considered good enough for a car without all the latest tech gadgets. Or maybe I'm just too far down the list to bother with.
I wrote too soon: a couple of hours after I posted this, I checked and found my first ever software update notice. I now have the 2.14.66 update.

This update must be the real deal if they are pushing it even to lowly S60s with no fancy tech gadgets.