Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been logging flows coming from the car and I see hits to Akamai. Most mature public SW deployment/update uses a CDN. As an example, Microsoft patches an absolutely amazing number of computers on the 2nd Tuesday of each month. There should be essentially "zero" bandwidth limitation for Tesla DCs if they are using a CDN. Best reason to do a slow roll, IMHO, is to make sure they did not screw something up that will cause widespread problems.

Interestingly, the Akamai connection I have been watching only does a HEAD request and gets a 400 response (bad request). This does not necessarily indicate a problem but it is somewhat of an unusual thing.

If someone else has done traces during an update it would be interesting to see whether they are delivering the updates over VPN, SSL, or in the clear.
Akamai is a CDN and can definitely handle the 100k+ downloads.

Staged rollouts are common practice, it will pick up steam in the coming days once they validate the release.

Interestingly. Today mercedes Benz released the 2017 E class data that goes for sale in the summer of 2016. It has Drive pilot which sounds equal or better than autopilot. They "say" it can drive up to 81mph on the highway without lane markings and just use cars and medians etc to navigate. It has active lane change assist and will look if the lane is clear then change lanes. It also has remote parking from the app.

Looks like MB has stepped it up and is bringing 7.1 features out this summer. I am sure Elon keeps us ahead with more updates by then but is now hardware limited vs the suite of sensors on the 2017 MB.

Also I would like to add the 7.1 update does better driving on single lane undivided roads at 5mph over limit that it could not navigate at all before without hitting a ditch or oncoming traffic.

Yawn.... Tesla's are doing now, what a mercedes will do in a year.

Question: how do I make summon stop at a specific point? My driveway is less than 39ft wide, so it wants to go on the grass.

It will back out of the garage to the same general distance that you auto-pulled in from, so if you park it 10 feet from the garage opening and have it park itself, when you summon it, the car will only back out to about 10 feet from the garage. Of course, you can also make the car stop by hitting the key fob again.

- - - Updated - - -

Check this thread, the first post has the release note on how to enable it:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/58826-New-Launch-Mode-firmware-2-9-40

...and it is included in Canada.
Your question prompted me to RTFM and I had forgotten about enabling the Max Battery Power mode :redface:

Wow, thanks for the response - I never got firmware 2.9.40 and hadn't been staying to up-to-date on the forum, so I would have completely missed this if you hadn't pointed me in the right direction.

Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but is anyone having problems getting the new homelink options to close the garage door when you drive away? Mine opens fine on arrival but it hasn't closed the garage door after leaving once since checking both boxes... anybody have any ideas?

UPDATE:
Okay never mind, in the MS Classic 7.1 thread I'm being told I have to open the garage door with the homelink button for it to auto-close it on the way out...

Last edited:
The 7.1 update was about 125MB on the wire... * 50,000 cars is 62TB of bandwidth. That's a decent amount, not that I think this was a limiting factor.

The way Tesla's firmware updates seem to work is the car sends a request to Tesla's server, Tesla's server then builds a custom package for your car based on the configuration and module versions, then the car downloads this later when it's done. Definitely an interesting approach, and certainly more difficult to scale than just adding more bandwidth.