Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
California Model S updating now. 125MB file in the initial download. It seems clear that they waited for wifi as it kicked off the second my car got onto it's AP. For the record it was not delivered over VPN. It was delivered via Akamai. My bet is that there are not as many different builds as we might think. Definitely not a build-server per car.

Your means of getting the fastest update is likely to include getting onto wifi. Don't worry about the Akamai bit. They will sort you out as long as you have a typical Internet connection.

Hrm, I just finished updating to 7.1 (2.9.154) on my Model S 85D, in California, and "waited for WiFi" doesn't quite match my experience. I believe my car got (at least some part of) the update over 3G because for the hour before it posted the "a software update is ready" notification I was driving the car around, out of range of any WiFi networks it knows about.

(And for the record I timed the actual installation of the update at approximately 1 hour, 12 minutes.)

So with the floodgates apparently open in much of California (and a bunch of people in Oregon also mentioning on the local mailing list that they got updates), can I ask people to please report things in the tracker? We only got another 30 reports this afternoon and given that approximately a third of all Model S are in California it seems that a lot of you didn't enter your data. Thanks. Much appreciated.

BTW: we're at 256 updates in the tracker so far :) - and extra thanks to the eight of you who were kind enough to note that you are in California in the notes.

This is an amazing community.

HA! As I am typing this my iPhone shows me that my car has an update pending.

Should I do it? It feels like staying on 6.2 really doesn't make much sense anymore... I was kinda holding out for 7.1 hoping for a much improved UI... but as many here predicted, I'm starting to feel left behind...

So with the floodgates apparently open in much of California (and a bunch of people in Oregon also mentioning on the local mailing list that they got updates), can I ask people to please report things in the tracker? We only got another 30 reports this afternoon and given that approximately a third of all Model S are in California it seems that a lot of you didn't enter your data. Thanks. Much appreciated.

BTW: we're at 256 updates in the tracker so far :) - and extra thanks to the eight of you who were kind enough to note that you are in California in the notes.

This is an amazing community.

HA! As I am typing this my iPhone shows me that my car has an update pending.

Should I do it? It feels like staying on 6.2 really doesn't make much sense anymore... I was kinda holding out for 7.1 hoping for a much improved UI... but as many here predicted, I'm starting to feel left behind...
Do it! Do it! Do it! Uh, oh. Sorry; Excited a bit. Just got my update notification and started process. Will update tracker when complete.

Update installing now in Washington... Don't have AP enabled so I think the only thing I get to look forward to is the improved wiper stuff and maybe Slacker radio assuming that's coming to the USA but I swear I had read elsewhere it wasn't right now.

Rest assured...you will have your Slacker radio in the US! That won't be a problem at all.

(What you won't have is anything new, like Spotify. :) )

Do it! Do it! Do it! Uh, oh. Sorry; Excited a bit.

Come to the dark side. We have toy cars.

+1

(on both the "do it Dirk!" and "just got the update" pieces :biggrin:)

You guys are cracking me. But what will Hank think of me? Won't he feel abandoned? I thought the irony of the two people most active on the firmware update tracker still being on 6.2 was priceless...

Oh well

/me walks out to the car and presses "install now"...

Well, you see, autopilot isn't perfect. It covers some situations really well, others adequately, still others poorly, and some not at all. We all believe it will get better over time. I think at this point we're all clear that the current implementation isn't good enough for you. But it is good enough for most people to use it. It's certainly, for almost everybody, better than not having it.
The problem is that the AP in 7.0 is better. So 7.1 is a clear downgrade.

That's not a good direction to take for Tesla....

You guys are cracking me. But what will Hank think of me? Won't he feel abandoned? I thought the irony of the two people most active on the firmware update tracker still being on 6.2 was priceless...

Oh well

/me walks out to the car and presses "install now"...

Huehuehue, peer pressure finally got to you. Welcome to having a Toy Car. :p

I updated the tracker just then as installation completed. 2.9.154, same as everyone else.

The problem is that the AP in 7.0 is better. So 7.1 is a clear downgrade.

That's not a good direction to take for Tesla....

I haven't driven it yet, but I don't think this is accurate. The fact that Autopilot is recognizing more than one car, as well as motorcycles and trucks is a great achievement. Not to mention Summon is great for when some idiot parks close to you in the parking lot.

I think that adding more nags is necessary to be brutally honest. My car has tried to swerve completely randomly out of the lane (mostly on carpool lanes), and if I wasn't holding the wheel, it would've resulted in a possible accident. I've got a 300mi round trip tomorrow, so I will definitely be able to test it out :D

I haven't driven it yet, but I don't think this is accurate. The fact that Autopilot is recognizing more than one car, as well as motorcycles and trucks is a great achievement. Not to mention Summon is great for when some idiot parks close to you in the parking lot.
The practical usefulness of that is pretty much zero. The angle of view of the camera is too narrow to reliably detect cars to the side of you.

I think that adding more nags is necessary to be brutally honest. My car has tried to swerve completely randomly out of the lane (mostly on carpool lanes), and if I wasn't holding the wheel, it would've resulted in a possible accident. I've got a 300mi round trip tomorrow, so I will definitely be able to test it out :D
I have more than 8 thousand miles on the current 7.0 AP, all of that road trips. AP's problematic spots are entirely predictable after a while.

And I'm actually not that worried about nag - I can adapt by gripping the wheel tighter as I'm already keeping hands near the wheel all the time. The main issue is the @*&#^!*&#^ speed limits. Tesla can NOT read signs reliably, and in any case +5mph to the speed limit is way too conservative.

My 2 cents after upgrading:

AP does a better job staying in the center of the lane - especially on turns. I always felt it dove too far into a right turn, only to turn at the last second. It now reacts to the turn more quickly and stays centered much better through the turn. Also, it seems as if it's doing more frequent micro-corrections to lane position where before it might ping-pong slowly. On straight highway, I think it's a bit distracting - especially with hands on the wheel where you feel every correction. It's still does an amazing job though. Love it.

Nagging is increased for me but I don't mind. As another poster mentioned, just keeping a couple fingers draped on the wheel keeps the nag from showing up at all.

Summon is amazing! My two car garage is tight - always a hassle for me to get out of my car if the wife's is already parked. Problem solved! I must have run my car in and out 20 times tonight. It balked a couple times when it was pointed too far toward the edge of the garage. It did much better when angled slightly toward my wife's car (or straight) at the start. In any event, it worked perfectly 90+% of the time - and never hit anything! (boy, was I nervous the first few times...)

I'm a fan of the update so far.