Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright folks, I've upgraded to 7.1 overnight and took a few videos on my commute to work this morning :biggrin:

Awesome videos, as always, Marc! Thanks for making them so soon after receiving the update!

I thought it was great that you recorded that part of your commute that you've recorded before, that has been giving the Auto-Steer trouble, for comparison.

Also, with respect to the perpendicular parking, you were commenting that the software parked a bit too far to the right. Watching the video it's clear that looking at the lines, the car is off-center, and to the right. But others have noted that the software ignores the lines, and centers based on the other cars' positions. Noting that, it appears your car probably wound up pretty close to perfectly centered between the two cars, as it is clear the car to your left is closer to its right line than the car to your right is close to its left line.

Thanks again!

You never "had" it in the first place. Nothing removed. The text is 100% clear on that.

I’m confused why people think they should be removing their hands entirely from the wheel. The notes are pretty clear!!!
Quote: “Autosteer [beta] is a hands-on feature.
You must keep your hands [lightly] on the steering wheel at all times.”

Image: http://i.imgur.com/MuyqaZ5.png
You still haven't read anything of what I've written. I'm not complaining about the nag, that's almost irrelevant (though I do wish they wouldn't do that, because "hands on the wheel" to me means touching the wheel, whereas the car thinks it means violently jerking the wheel to one side) My complaint is, and has always been, the arbitrary restrictions. sure they claim it's only on secondary roads, and still 10km/hr over the speed limit, and if that were actually the case I'd still have no objection, but as the car's onboard maps are atrocious, and it can't tell the speed limit on over 50% of roads, I know for a fact that it will limit me frequently on roads that work perfectly on 7.0 (and I do mean divided highways, I also don't use it on roads it's not supposed to be used on)

So basically, I'm using it exactly as the original 7.0 manual and release notes told me to, I've held up my end of the bargain, I don't want to lose that functionality just because Tesla thinks someone else MIGHT do something they shouldn't. This "upgrade" has nothing in it for me, so I'm not doing it.

Again, you're trying to shame me in to upgrading by telling me I'm using it wrong, that's not going to convince me. If you want to convince me to upgrade, convince me that there's something in it for me. Show me that the system I end up with after upgrading will be better than the system I have to give up to do it.

$1 says this stays beta forever.
There is a definitely chance it stays beta on current cars and until 2.0 sensor hardware comes out.

But it will continue to improve for quite a while still. And eventually some of the restrictions on non divided roads may be lifted. For now, since it sometimes swerves into on coming traffic, I think having some limitations makes a lot of sense.

Awesome videos, as always, Marc! Thanks for making them so soon after receiving the update!

I thought it was great that you recorded that part of your commute that you've recorded before, that has been giving the Auto-Steer trouble, for comparison.

Also, with respect to the perpendicular parking, you were commenting that the software parked a bit too far to the right. Watching the video it's clear that looking at the lines, the car is off-center, and to the right. But others have noted that the software ignores the lines, and centers based on the other cars' positions. Noting that, it appears your car probably wound up pretty close to perfectly centered between the two cars, as it is clear the car to your left is closer to its right line than the car to your right is close to its left line.

Thanks again!

Pleasure! I really enjoy taking these videos. As a matter of fact, I just started a thread in the "Videos" section of the forum (will add it to my signature shortly).

As for perpendicular parking, that's a good point - I should've walked out of my car and taken a photo of it and the 2 cars on either side to get a better sense of how well it parked. Next time!

I woke up this morning and excitedly went to check my car which had the update scheduled to occur overnight. Neither computer screen lit up and I had a notification on my phone saying the update had failed. It did respond to the fob. Called Tesla who said the car had "shutdown" and is arranging a tow. I'm sure they will get it fixed, but disappointing to not be able to play with the new features.

You still haven't read anything of what I've written. I'm not complaining about the nag, that's almost irrelevant (though I do wish they wouldn't do that, because "hands on the wheel" to me means touching the wheel, whereas the car thinks it means violently jerking the wheel to one side) My complaint is, and has always been, the arbitrary restrictions. sure they claim it's only on secondary roads, and still 10km/hr over the speed limit, and if that were actually the case I'd still have no objection, but as the car's onboard maps are atrocious, and it can't tell the speed limit on over 50% of roads, I know for a fact that it will limit me frequently on roads that work perfectly on 7.0 (and I do mean divided highways, I also don't use it on roads it's not supposed to be used on)

So basically, I'm using it exactly as the original 7.0 manual and release notes told me to, I've held up my end of the bargain, I don't want to lose that functionality just because Tesla thinks someone else MIGHT do something they shouldn't. This "upgrade" has nothing in it for me, so I'm not doing it.

Again, you're trying to shame me in to upgrading by telling me I'm using it wrong, that's not going to convince me. If you want to convince me to upgrade, convince me that there's something in it for me. Show me that the system I end up with after upgrading will be better than the system I have to give up to do it.

Here's an idea that might wind up helping you, and also could help others, and Tesla.

Perhaps you could list a few of the divided highways you travel that you fear 7.1 will misidentify as undivided highways. Then others here who have upgraded can let you know whether or not the car correctly or incorrectly identifies those highways. If 7.1 does incorrectly identify those highways, you or the person that discovered it or both of you can report it to Tesla. We can then see if Tesla manages to somehow correct their information in future versions of the software.

This would help get the information corrected for everyone, and would perhaps allow you to comfortably update in the future.

If Tesla has no mechanism in place to accept and incorporate this information, doing this might help move them in that direction, which is also in all of our interests.

Pleasure! I really enjoy taking these videos. As a matter of fact, I just started a thread in the "Videos" section of the forum (will add it to my signature shortly).

As for perpendicular parking, that's a good point - I should've walked out of my car and taken a photo of it and the 2 cars on either side to get a better sense of how well it parked. Next time!

Nice job Marc. I really enjoyed those videos.

Here's an idea that might wind up helping you, and also could help others, and Tesla.

Perhaps you could list a few of the divided highways you travel that you fear 7.1 will misidentify as undivided highways. Then others here who have upgraded can let you know whether or not the car correctly or incorrectly identifies those highways. If 7.1 does incorrectly identify those highways, you or the person that discovered it or both of you can report it to Tesla. We can then see if Tesla manages to somehow correct their information in future versions of the software.

This would help get the information corrected for everyone, and would perhaps allow you to comfortably update in the future.

If Tesla has no mechanism in place to accept and incorporate this information, doing this might help move them in that direction, which is also in all of our interests.
Tesla hasn't corrected any of the dozens upon dozens of places I reported speed limit issues, I highly doubt they'll fix any of the places that it misidentifies divided roads either.

There's also no current way of knowing which roads it will be without downgrading my car first.

I'm willing to do some beta testing, but I'm not willing to lose features just so that I can provide feedback that I can almost guarantee will be ignored.

You never "had" it in the first place. Nothing removed. The text is 100% clear on that.

I’m confused why people think they should be removing their hands entirely from the wheel. The notes are pretty clear!!!
Quote: “Autosteer [beta] is a hands-on feature.
You must keep your hands [lightly] on the steering wheel at all times.”

Image: http://i.imgur.com/MuyqaZ5.png

View attachment 107763

That's just legal garbage. There's no point to autopilot if you have to keep your hands on the wheel. It's like saying you should drive exactly the speed limit on the highway. Yeah, that's what the law says but you're an idiot if you do it.

Tesla hasn't corrected any of the dozens upon dozens of places I reported speed limit issues, I highly doubt they'll fix any of the places that it misidentifies divided roads either.

There's also no current way of knowing which roads it will be without downgrading my car first.

I'm willing to do some beta testing, but I'm not willing to lose features just so that I can provide feedback that I can almost guarantee will be ignored.

I've seen you comment to others that they have not read what you wrote. It would appear that in this case I could say that to you.

For starters, the speed limit issue and the "what kind of road are this" issue are very different. The former the car is obtaining information in real-time, based on what the camera "sees." The latter the car must be referencing some sort of a database. So these really are two very different sets of circumstances, which is why I limited my proposal to the latter.

More importantly, where in what I suggested did I come close to saying that you should update to be able to determine which roads were problematic. I specifically did --NOT-- say that.

I suggested that you provide a list of a few highways that you travel that you are concerned will be misidentified. You wrote: "I know for a fact that it will limit me frequently on roads that work perfectly on 7.0."

I merely suggested that you identify a few of these roads, and then allow people who have already upgraded to see whether or not version 7.1 of the firmware correctly or incorrectly identifies these roads. Assuming you are correct, and some of the roads are misidentified, feedback to Tesla can be provided, and then we can see what Tesla does with the information.

What possible objection could you have to identifying a few of the roads you think Tesla will misidentify, and allowing others to check whether or not they are, in fact, misidentified?