Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been noticing a lot of "false" positives with the parallel parking feature in 7.1. What I mean is that the parking symbol gets displayed on the IC even though there is not a valid parallel parking spot. This is easy to overlook because it happens in spots where I am not even thinking of parking. I was just startled to look down at the IC and see the indicator when it clearly did not apply.
Examples:
  1. Stopping at a traffic light next to the curb on the right. Parking indication to my right. No cars to my right and I am actually close enough to the curb to be parked if it were legal.
  2. Stopping at a traffic light in a left turn lane on a street with a center divider. Parking indication to my left. No cars to my left and again close enough to the curb to be parked, if it were legal.
  3. Stopping in traffic next to cars parked on right. Parking indication to my right. As best I could tell from the side mirror, the gap between cars was too small for a subcompact, let alone a Tesla.
When I'm quick enough to remember, I have been submitting bug reports from the car as these occur. And no, I did not try to engage autopark to investigate what would happen next. :wink:

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Easy to miss because you are not trying to park.
I have had this happen, specifically #2 above. I mentioned it somewhere, but can't remember which thread now. Yet I can't get it to perp park at all.

I've been noticing a lot of "false" positives with the parallel parking feature in 7.1. What I mean is that the parking symbol gets displayed on the IC even though there is not a valid parallel parking spot. This is easy to overlook because it happens in spots where I am not even thinking of parking. I was just startled to look down at the IC and see the indicator when it clearly did not apply.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Easy to miss because you are not trying to park.
Oh yeah... the best one I've found (repeatable) is the drive thru lane at my favourite Tim Horton's (eh). It suggests I might like to jump onto the curb and park between the menu board and the building.

I emailed servicehelpna to tell them that I didn't want to downgrade to 7.1's AP restrictions based on the fact that my car never knows the correct speed limit, and the maps are so outdated that it couldn't possibly know if roads are divided or not. They replied the next day and said I should send any examples I had of incorrect speed limits. I told them I had sent dozens by "bug report" and they then basically told me that it hadn't been addressed because nobody reads the bug reports, and I should email them dates/times and locations instead. I've now sent in quite a few, they've "forwarded them to development" (which is probably code for "nobody cares")

Once I see some movement on improving the maps and speed limits, and much better reports on the AP in general, I'll consider changing software versions. Until then, I'll enjoy the car the way *I* want to.

Examples:
  1. Stopping at a traffic light next to the curb on the right. Parking indication to my right. No cars to my right and I am actually close enough to the curb to be parked if it were legal.
  2. Stopping at a traffic light in a left turn lane on a street with a center divider. Parking indication to my left. No cars to my left and again close enough to the curb to be parked, if it were legal.
  3. Stopping in traffic next to cars parked on right. Parking indication to my right. As best I could tell from the side mirror, the gap between cars was too small for a subcompact, let alone a Tesla.
When I'm quick enough to remember, I have been submitting bug reports from the car as these occur. And no, I did not try to engage autopark to investigate what would happen next. :wink:

I think this is normal. Keep in mind the car doesn't really know that there is a parking spot. It knows that as you drove by slowly, using the ultrasonics it could tell there was a space that the car could fit. The car can't tell that you're at a traffic light, etc.

I'm still on 2.9.154, and this morning on the drive to and from Costco on undivided roads I noticed some new behavior on a road that used to give TACC fits. Up until this morning, ever since 7.0, TACC has refused to hold speed on a particular stretch of newly-paved, well marked, two-lane road near my house. You'd set it for SL+5 and it would act like a drunk person, slowing down a bit, speeding up, slowing down a lot, speeding up a bit, etc., all while Autosteer was doing a perfect job of following the lane markings; it was very repeatable and there was no reason for it except my surmise that the new roadway wasn't properly represented in the nav database. This morning TACC behaved perfectly on that stretch, as well.

The other new thing is that the 7.1 limit to speed-limit-plus-5 on undivided roads has suddenly disappeared. I mean, completely: TACC allowed me to set 55mph in a recognized 35mph zone, and it would have done 55mph if I'd let it. Same for all the roads around my home: I tried it on four different roads, including residential streets with no markings whatsoever (no Autosteer: just TACC). I never once got the "speed limited on this road" warning, nor any hint that TACC wanted to slow down when the speed limit dropped.

Has anyone else see this today?

I'm still on 2.9.154, and this morning on the drive to and from Costco on undivided roads I noticed some new behavior on a road that used to give TACC fits. Up until this morning, ever since 7.0, TACC has refused to hold speed on a particular stretch of newly-paved, well marked, two-lane road near my house. You'd set it for SL+5 and it would act like a drunk person, slowing down a bit, speeding up, slowing down a lot, speeding up a bit, etc., all while Autosteer was doing a perfect job of following the lane markings; it was very repeatable and there was no reason for it except my surmise that the new roadway wasn't properly represented in the nav database. This morning TACC behaved perfectly on that stretch, as well.

The other new thing is that the 7.1 limit to speed-limit-plus-5 on undivided roads has suddenly disappeared. I mean, completely: TACC allowed me to set 55mph in a recognized 35mph zone, and it would have done 55mph if I'd let it. Same for all the roads around my home: I tried it on four different roads, including residential streets with no markings whatsoever (no Autosteer: just TACC). I never once got the "speed limited on this road" warning, nor any hint that TACC wanted to slow down when the speed limit dropped.

Tacc was never restricted. Only auto steer with tacc was restricted.

tacc slows down for curves. It probably thinks there are curves coming up.