Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone mentioning it here says I should be able to upgrade. The only reasonable explanation I can imagine is if it is because my car is non-tech, which may have a different console.

Even if I can upgrade, I'm sure I'd get it back with v8 installed.

We've never heard non-tech package cars not being LTE upgradeable. The 3G cellular daughtercard on the MCUs are the same.

But yeah, you'd definitely get v8 installed with the upgrade. No stopping that.

Reactions: jerry33
I also got 2.44.130 last night. Was on 2.42.40 before. Haven't had much time to search around. One difference I did notice was on USB playback. On prior version, if a certain song was playing when I parked the car, upon my return the same song wold play but restarted from the beginning of the song. This morning I noticed the song picked up where it was when I left the car. This is the way the system worked back in the good old 6.0 and 7.1 days, and I'm glad it is working this way again. Also seems like the USB drive (I have a 1TB hard drive with almost 8000 FLAC files) loads up more quickly,

I do not have any audio books or podcasts to test re whether this works on them too.

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I installed 2.44.130 last night. Hopefully it fixes a bug I just noticed in 2.42.40 to do with connectivity to the Phone. If you are listening to music via Bluetooth (I was listening to a Podcast) and you start talking on the phone, if you get out of the car (I had to retrieve a box) and get back in, the phone call is disconnected in favor of the music. Edge use case to be sure, but talking on the phone should always take priority over music.

I also got 2.44.130 last night. Was on 2.42.40 before. Haven't had much time to search around. One difference I did notice was on USB playback. On prior version, if a certain song was playing when I parked the car, upon my return the same song wold play but restarted from the beginning of the song. This morning I noticed the song picked up where it was when I left the car. This is the way the system worked back in the good old 6.0 and 7.1 days, and I'm glad it is working this way again. Also seems like the USB drive (I have a 1TB hard drive with almost 8000 FLAC files) loads up more quickly,

I do not have any audio books or podcasts to test re whether this works on them too.

Well, had a "load error" message yesterday on my USB system. Once I got it going again, it was back to the old problem of restarting the songs at the beginning.

I haven't had time to try a reboot on the control pad. Will try and get back to see if that fixes anything.

2.44.130, Homelink box no longer appears but chime works & garage door opener so far showing completely random behavior, reboot hasn't helped.
(sorry I don't drive the car all that often)
Wife just came home & the MCU rebooted as she pulled onto the driveway :mad:

Last edited:
2.44.130, Homelink box no longer appears but chime works & garage door opener so far showing completely random behavior, reboot hasn't helped.
(sorry I don't drive the car all that often)
Wife just came home & the MCU rebooted as she pulled onto the driveway :mad:
I had issues with Homelink in 8.0 and a new door opener, but for me it had to do with saving the location. Make sure that your map shows you in the correct place before you save the location. I've seen the arrow on the map being several houses down the street at times, and one time I saved my Homelink location when it was wrong like that. Of course, that will mess it up... Re-setting it right in front of the door when the location looked right fixed it. But that doesn't explain reboots...

• Helpful
Reactions: Lump
I had issues with Homelink in 8.0 and a new door opener, but for me it had to do with saving the location. Make sure that your map shows you in the correct place before you save the location. I've seen the arrow on the map being several houses down the street at times, and one time I saved my Homelink location when it was wrong like that. Of course, that will mess it up... Re-setting it right in front of the door when the location looked right fixed it. But that doesn't explain reboots...

Homelink problems started the morning after 2.44.130 was installed on 11-14-17, the dialog box wasn't visible so we had to close the door using a remote mounted on the wall when departing & arriving, yesterday the MCU rebooted as soon as my wife pulled onto the driveway. Today for some reason dialogue box is function correctly but while driving she got the "key not in car, car will not start message" while taking the kids to school & panicked for a minute, honestly I am tired of trying to figure out what is wrong...its been 3 1/2 years of this!

Last edited:
You can always tap the house icon to get the Homelink menu to manually open/close a door. The "key not in car" message happens from time to time - just shift the position of the key in your pocket or put it in the console or cup holder. The reboot - don't know...

• Helpful
Reactions: Lump
You can always tap the house icon to get the Homelink menu to manually open/close a door. The "key not in car" message happens from time to time - just shift the position of the key in your pocket or put it in the console or cup holder. The reboot - don't know...
Sorry, I should have mentioned, the house icon had disappeared completely so manual operation wasn't available.

I spent some more time at the Tesla store playing with v8. (Still dismissing updates. I keep trying to convince myself I'll get used to v8.)
I always conclude the earlier versions were much easier to understand and use.

I brought a USB stick to the store to see how the later update behaves. "Folders," chose my folder, alphabet, song, no problem. Song playing, where to I get the browse list? Hmm. I think I touched "recently searched" or something, then back to USB, then I got back to "Folders," folder, alphabet, song - all over again? Then found that while a song is playing you can get the browse list by touching USB again even though it is already highlighted. In my "archaic" v7, there are "Now Playing" and "Browse" tabs, pretty easy to figure out.

There are the other examples, like where's the app going to populate (top or bottom), map - if on top - hides app icons when I touch the map and icons come back (after about 1 second) when I touch again. Unless your driving then it hides automatically... huh? (I didn't get to drive, but read this in a post I think.)

Early on the interface was extremely easy to use and intuitive. It took very little time to get used to, and using it while driving was not an issue. I sat in the (v.8) car with a sales employee (not a newb), both of us trying to figure out some of these inconsistencies. Touch the "charger" icon, map zooms out some and displays about 7 superchargers in order by distance - but not all the superchargers within range. I like my long list of SCs. Then the icons faded without me noticing, where'd they go? Two taps and I close the list. I zoom out then succeed in getting a longer list, neither sorted by distance nor name.

How are the radio stations sorted? We figured it out: alphanumerically by the broadcast frequency, so AM stations are in the middle of FM stations. 107.9 < 1150 < 89.9
The point of this post is I don't think we should have to "figure it out."

I'm starting to think the programmers are putting all focus on visual and none on ease of use anymore, since "who's still driving their car anyway?"
A lot of us actually.

I spent some more time at the Tesla store playing with v8. (Still dismissing updates. I keep trying to convince myself I'll get used to v8.)
I always conclude the earlier versions were much easier to understand and use.

I brought a USB stick to the store to see how the later update behaves. "Folders," chose my folder, alphabet, song, no problem. Song playing, where to I get the browse list? Hmm. I think I touched "recently searched" or something, then back to USB, then I got back to "Folders," folder, alphabet, song - all over again? Then found that while a song is playing you can get the browse list by touching USB again even though it is already highlighted. In my "archaic" v7, there are "Now Playing" and "Browse" tabs, pretty easy to figure out.

There are the other examples, like where's the app going to populate (top or bottom), map - if on top - hides app icons when I touch the map and icons come back (after about 1 second) when I touch again. Unless your driving then it hides automatically... huh? (I didn't get to drive, but read this in a post I think.)

Early on the interface was extremely easy to use and intuitive. It took very little time to get used to, and using it while driving was not an issue. I sat in the (v.8) car with a sales employee (not a newb), both of us trying to figure out some of these inconsistencies. Touch the "charger" icon, map zooms out some and displays about 7 superchargers in order by distance - but not all the superchargers within range. I like my long list of SCs. Then the icons faded without me noticing, where'd they go? Two taps and I close the list. I zoom out then succeed in getting a longer list, neither sorted by distance nor name.

How are the radio stations sorted? We figured it out: alphanumerically by the broadcast frequency, so AM stations are in the middle of FM stations. 107.9 < 1150 < 89.9
The point of this post is I don't think we should have to "figure it out."

I'm starting to think the programmers are putting all focus on visual and none on ease of use anymore, since "who's still driving their car anyway?"
A lot of us actually.
Don't use folders. Before, Artists and Albums are not usable, but in this release, they are much easier to use. In folders songs get sorted alphabetically, but in Albums they are in original order. Also if you want to go back to the song list view or further back to album/artist view, you can just tap on the album artwork to go to song list, and then tap back button (forgot how it looked like but I think it was like <<) to go back to album/artist.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
Don't use folders. Before, Artists and Albums are not usable, but in this release, they are much easier to use. In folders songs get sorted alphabetically, but in Albums they are in original order. Also if you want to go back to the song list view or further back to album/artist view, you can just tap on the album artwork to go to song list, and then tap back button (forgot how it looked like but I think it was like <<) to go back to album/artist.
I need to use a folder because I have a specific list of songs from various artists that I need to know for the rock band, bass and vocals. I guess normally one would use a playlist. But when I need to add a song, I just put it in the folder and done.
I suppose if I were listening to an album instead, it might occur to me to tap the album to see the album's song list, but using a folder it makes less sense to tap the album art to go to the song list.
Now I know I can tap the art to get the list. With "Now Playing" and "Browse," there is no learning curve; it's just there.

Top Picks (or whatever it says) used to be one entry I could ignore. In v8 it's about 8 pictures I have to scroll past every time I want to look for something. It reminds me of an ad banner.

Sorry to keep harping on v8, I want to like it but I still don't.

Reactions: hiroshiy