Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried this last night and hoped that it wouldn't return but I had the same thing happen today after lunch. I entered the car and the radio came on at volume 11. It was very startling and a bit embarrassing since my driver door was still open and there were plenty of bystanders nearby. Am I the only one experiencing this? Do you think the service center would be of any assistance?
The first thing to do is call the hotline. Also, when it happens, press the voice command button, say "Note", and describe the issue (keep it very short). This will send a message to Tesla along with the time frame so they can look at the logs.

My GPS was acting up putting me all over the world (including Antarctica!), and thus making the screen jump between night and day modes randomly, and causing other issues. So I dropped my car off at the factory service center yesterday, and they gave me a loaner that is almost brand new.

Anyway, what I wanted to mention is, after I adjusted the steering wheel and seats to my comfort, to my surprise, I was able to see the entire IC without any obstruction. I was able to clearly see the headlight icon, which was almost always blocked by the wheel in my car, as well as the battery SoC, which was also often blocked in my car. Here I don't have to tilt my head at all. At first I thought may be because it is a slight difference in the seat/steering position. But I even tried to movie these around a little, and still the entire IC was always visible fully. Any blocking happened only at some extreme positions very uncomfortable for me. I couldn't figure the exact difference - size of the screen, size of the bezel, size of the steering wheel, or may be the steering can retract more here or whatever else.

Like many others, I have been complaining about location of the headlight icon being blocked since 7.1. Now I think may be it is only the classic owners who could have this problem, and Tesla just overlooked us.

Also to add, for the first time today, I returned to my car to have the FM radio blaring at 11 volume and since I never use FM, it was tuned to the "white-noise station." Very unexpected, as this has never happened to me. I had only previously used USB and Bluetooth earlier in the day to listed to music and the EM biography audiobook. How and why it decided to switch to the radio and turn it up to 11 is puzzling.

I'm not telling anyone how to use the interface or that they "don't actually need to see the numbers", etc.

But I am free to espouse my opinion on the interface, which is all I did.
But isn't someone saying that others "don't actually need to see the numbers" just their opinion also? You're saying Tesla ****ed up the interface in every release, or that the interface sucks. It's the same thing. You're disagreeing with Tesla, and the other person is disagreeing with someone on TMC.

Personally, I find that terms such as "for me" or "in my opinion" vastly clarify that a statement is an opinion. Without those terms, they come off as absolutes and fall into the trap of stating opinion as fact.

"I personally think Tesla has the best waypoint-inclusive navigation system in the industry."
"Tesla has the best waypoint-inclusive navigation system in the industry."

"To me, the new Tesla vampire blood red is the worst color ever put on a car."
"The new Tesla vampire blood red is the worst color ever put on a car."

In those pairs of statements, I find that one sounds reasonable and the other hard-lined. One is easy to read and the other brings up an argumentative response. But maybe I stand alone on that.

Reactions: bmah
I think the low contrast on speedometer markings is an issue irrespective of how good your eyes are because low contrast automatically implies that there will more angles of sunlight at which it will be not visible. That being said, I am not sure why we need to see those markings so accurately while driving. The speed shows in huge fonts in the center anyway. As for the power, why do we need to see the accurate value while driving? May be for fun once in a while, but otherwise, just an estimation based on the blue, orange, and green dials was enough, I thought.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to attack anyone or anything. I do not have any driving experience outside of this car, so I am wondering if there is something I should be looking at and/or measuring that I am not.

Just for the record, I never asked anybody to do anything in any particular way, if you read my entire post. Taking one sentence out may look misleading by itself.

Just for the record, I never asked anybody to do anything in any particular way, if you read my entire post. Taking one sentence out may look misleading by itself.

I think Jerry and I were reacting to this---
That being said, I am not sure why we need to see those markings so accurately while driving. The speed shows in huge fonts in the center anyway. As for the power, why do we need to see the accurate value while driving?

-- questioning why we even need the numbers at all. Along the lines of what @ohmman said, if you had alternatively said:

That being said, I don't need to see those markings so accurately while driving.

would have been a very different statement, not projecting how you use or perceive the interface onto other people.

Also to add, for the first time today, I returned to my car to have the FM radio blaring at 11 volume and since I never use FM, it was tuned to the "white-noise station." Very unexpected, as this has never happened to me. I had only previously used USB and Bluetooth earlier in the day to listed to music and the EM biography audiobook. How and why it decided to switch to the radio and turn it up to 11 is puzzling.
You must have energy savings on. I believe that if it does the "wake up and blare" thing and doesn't remember what was on, it defaults to your favorites. First in favorites is your radio stations. If you ever favorited a station, even if you don't remember or did by accident, voila. You have to unfavorite. Doesn't solve the blaring but at least uses next category (streaming). I recommend slayer station as it wants to be on 11. :eek:

I think Jerry and I were reacting to this---

-- questioning why we even need the numbers at all. Along the lines of what @ohmman said, if you had alternatively said:

would have been a very different statement, not projecting how you use or perceive the interface onto other people.
Right. And you could have said "I don't like UI" vs "it sucks".

You must have energy savings on. I believe that if it does the "wake up and blare" thing and doesn't remember what was on, it defaults to your favorites. First in favorites is your radio stations. If you ever favorited a station, even if you don't remember or did by accident, voila. You have to unfavorite. Doesn't solve the blaring but at least uses next category (streaming). I recommend slayer station as it wants to be on 11
I haven't had 'energy savings' turned on for years. But I'll check and see if somehow it got flipped back on.

Yes, I could have, but again, there is a big difference between stating an obvious opinion ("it sucks") versus telling other people that they actually don't have a problem (i.e. "do we really need the numbers at all?"). See: Gaslighting - Wikipedia
Hmm. Gaslighting is a intense campaign to get someone to believe something that isn't true. Asking a simple question "do we need?" Is not.

I read @iffatall post as opinion and your "it sucks" as attempting to state a fact. It just seems ironic that you are picking on @iffatall

Thanks for being clear that you think that, and not that it's the globally accepted case. ;)

I believe the presumption here is that when someone posts an opinion, it's that person's opinion. :)

You clearly didn't read the quoted post or understand the context of my post. So please don't yell at me.

Not yelling, emphasizing to make a point! :)

I like it with v8 that the passenger in the front doesn't have to do anything special to keep the car alive... after the driver exits for a brief while... They just have to continue occupying the passenger seat.

So simple. Applies to all cars, even Classic.

It's software changes like this that are easy wins!

Reactions: Jeeps17 and MP3Mike