Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh great, another UI refresh.. you know what that means. :rolleyes:
Lemme guess.

1) a bunch of change averse people getting ticked off
2) a few change incapable people’s heads flying off
3) some new features that work
4) some new features that don’t work
5) some feature regression
6) unmeasurable and unsubstantiateable perceptions of change: “the regen is weaker/stronger” or “audio is better/worse”
7) insufficient release notes
8) some proud holdouts who compete to see how long they can stay on old SW.
9) several 100+ page threads.

I like change, but only if its for the better. Improvement is good, degradation is bad.
So, far on my "classic" S the best UI was version 6.5.
- Version 7.x brought a significant degradation in visual quality ("modern" style, aka market speak dumbed down flat visuals back-to-the-80s, because script kiddies cant write fast code so they need to get rid of the 3D look)
- Version 8.x is all about Autopilot and for sake of similarity (code simplification) made the UI look for classic cars less useful, displaying a large pointless toy-car image in the center instead of useful information, which is now showed away, smaller more hidden
- apart from style, the visual output has also been reduced in material ways: you can no longer get precise readout on the energy graphs, less information about climate setting (custom) etc.

This is all what sticks around as degradation, in addition of course, we get the new bugs and regressions added as usual in any x.0 version, but those should be ironed out in later dot releases, so by 9.2 we should have a stable but even less useful UI for classic cars as the trend is clear to care about only the latest hardware version and make software simpler.

Hi

Just curious. I don’t have a classic, I have a 2015 AP1. I had 6.2 for a short time, not long enough to be able to compare to 7.0. I recall good things of 6.2, but eg the r.dio and TuneIn version were far less practical imho. It took time but today’s Spotify and TuneIn, and integrated search are quite ok for me. Though agreed not perfect and with many bugs still not fixed.

Here is my question:
It sounds from the above comments that the recent updates, which brought a snappier UI and improved browser did not bring such improvements to the Classic? I did read one comment that the new navigation was snappier.
I thought there was one UMC1, same HW since 2012 up to earlier this year, when UMC2 appeared. Or are there different performances versions in the UMC1?

My concern is I advise people around me that classic are the same as mine without the AP feature.

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Lemme guess.

1) a bunch of change averse people getting ticked off
2) a few change incapable people’s heads flying off
3) some new features that work
4) some new features that don’t work
5) some feature regression
6) unmeasurable and unsubstantiateable perceptions of change: “the regen is weaker/stronger” or “audio is better/worse”
7) insufficient release notes
8) some proud holdouts who compete to see how long they can stay on old SW.
9) several 100+ page threads.

I'm in #8. Still on 7.1. Still have UI where things don't diisappear, I don't see other people's music favotites (and don't care what others like), and don't have AP nags every 20 seconds.

Reactions: Brass Guy
I like change, but only if its for the better. Improvement is good, degradation is bad.
So, far on my "classic" S the best UI was version 6.5.
- Version 7.x brought a significant degradation in visual quality ("modern" style, aka market speak dumbed down flat visuals back-to-the-80s, because script kiddies cant write fast code so they need to get rid of the 3D look)
- Version 8.x is all about Autopilot and for sake of similarity (code simplification) made the UI look for classic cars less useful, displaying a large pointless toy-car image in the center instead of useful information, which is now showed away, smaller more hidden
- apart from style, the visual output has also been reduced in material ways: you can no longer get precise readout on the energy graphs, less information about climate setting (custom) etc.

This is all what sticks around as degradation, in addition of course, we get the new bugs and regressions added as usual in any x.0 version, but those should be ironed out in later dot releases, so by 9.2 we should have a stable but even less useful UI for classic cars as the trend is clear to care about only the latest hardware version and make software simpler.

i agree with all your points. UI keeps getting worse. Like you I kept my classic on the original, much more useful UI with big speedo in the middle, until I sold it. I warned the buyer that the new UI would suck if they updated.

much more useful UI with big speedo in the middle, u

AFAIK, the Classic non-AP cars still have the big speedo in the middle with the blue, green, and orange speed and power/regen indicators.

visuals back-to-the-80s, because script kiddies cant write fast code so they need to get rid of the 3D look)

Has nothing to do with writing fast code... they went down the Skeuomorphism-is-evil road led by Jony Ives and removed every shadow, button, outline and UI element 'just because'.

I have that still with new nav: button toggles between total route, current leg, north up and location centered, and direction up and centered. I'm quite pleased with the choices.

What version doesn't have it?
Actually I don't have nav. (2023 no tech-package) If you scroll the map to an area of interest then pinch-zoom, if the map rotates a little, a compass needle used to pop up in the lower left. Without the needle if you touch North-up, it re-centers the map on your current location; so you have to scroll and zoom again.

My version 1 MCU (2013 non-AP Model S) crashes every time I visit a couple of web sites using the browser. I visited just two web sites yesterday, after which time the entire MCU become unresponsive and rebooted a few minutes later. This started happening after receiving a software update a few months ago. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

My version 1 MCU (2013 non-AP Model S) crashes every time I visit a couple of web sites using the browser. I visited just two web sites yesterday, after which time the entire MCU become unresponsive and rebooted a few minutes later. This started happening after receiving a software update a few months ago. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
Which websites and I’ll check (as long as it’s not youp0!n) :)

AFAIK, the Classic non-AP cars still have the big speedo in the middle with the blue, green, and orange speed and power/regen indicators.

True. We still have that.

ZsoZso said they removed it and put a useless toy car in the middle, and from pics of people's screens who took the update at the time I remember thinkig that's what I'd get: a rendering of my car in the middle of the screen with no lanes or other cars since there were no sensors to detect them. So I am now confused.

ZsoZso said they removed it and put a useless toy car in the middle, and from pics of people's screens who took the update at the time I remember thinkig that's what I'd get: a rendering of my car in the middle of the screen with no lanes or other cars since there were no sensors to detect them. So I am now confused.

The large battery icon in the center was replaced w/ a car icon. Otherwise the same. Same orange/green power/regen meter etc.

Wunderground.com and then US.CNN.COM. Wunderground caused it to crawl and then it crashed while loading CNN.
I've never had luck with Wunderground on the browser, even on firmware versions dating back 4+ years ago. That's one of the only pages I cared to load, thinking I could get Wundermap to show me real-time radar, or at least update me on my home weather station. No dice.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I've never had luck with Wunderground on the browser, even on firmware versions dating back 4+ years ago. That's one of the only pages I cared to load, thinking I could get Wundermap to show me real-time radar, or at least update me on my home weather station. No dice.
Yes, that exactly describes why I try and load that site. I believe I got it to load successfully once in the past, but it was painful.