Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Release Slowdown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 2017, it seems like Tesla had a release version every two weeks. Although 2017.50.3 was released during Week 52, Tesla released no firmware with a 2017.52 version number. Given that, I kind of expected a 2018.2 version, but time is running out on that if week 2 runs from January 8, 2018 January 14, 2018. Maybe the next release will mark 8.2 or 9.0 ::fingers crossed::.

We need to cut them some slack, releasing every 2 weeks may be the norm for a free to play phone game, but it is already super aggressive for software that controls hundred of thousands of machine with people inside on public uncontrolled environments. Many companies enter code freeze during the holiday and we expect them to take some time off to recharge too. That being said, I am hoping for something amazing like a better browser or adjacent lane vehicle display / sign recognition, won't be upset if it takes a few more weeks.

In 2017, it seems like Tesla had a release version every two weeks. Although 2017.50.3 was released during Week 52, Tesla released no firmware with a 2017.52 version number. Given that, I kind of expected a 2018.2 version, but time is running out on that if week 2 runs from January 8, 2018 January 14, 2018. Maybe the next release will mark 8.2 or 9.0 ::fingers crossed::.

There’s still time on 2018.2. I remember a .x release missing its ostensible week by about a week for one of the 2017 releases. I’m expecting one by next Saturday.

Don't conflate the rate of software releases with the rate of releasing new features/functionality, fixing bugs, etc.

Bruce.
I’m not. The rate of releasing material new features has slowed down even more if you look at the increased time per major point release (ie 6.0 to 7.0 to 8.0......hopefully 9.0).

I’m not. The rate of releasing material new features has slowed down even more if you look at the increased time per major point release (ie 6.0 to 7.0 to 8.0......hopefully 9.0).

My point (not well stated) was that the rate of releases doesn't really correspond to anything that we as users would see. Witness how many versions have release notes of "Minor bug fixes and improvements". So if one were to complain about features not being released quickly enough, that's fine. But the rate at which someone turns the release handle doesn't really mean a lot if there's no new features, fixes, etc. to push out.

That having been said, there seems to have been a sighting of a 2018.4.1:

New firmware update 18.4.1

Bruce.

So I have seen where an even number release is pushed during the subsequent week; however, I haven't seen where an even number release was skipped or pushed in the following even numbered week. For example, if 2018.8 was released today, it would be being released in week 10. If 2018.10 was the next release, then 2018.8 was skipped all together.

So I have seen where an even number release is pushed during the subsequent week; however, I haven't seen where an even number release was skipped or pushed in the following even numbered week. For example, if 2018.8 was released today, it would be being released in week 10. If 2018.10 was the next release, then 2018.8 was skipped all together.
I only remember one which was 2017.52. At first I though maybe only 51 weeks in the year but there were 52 (pretty sure now).