Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware update added noises when changing gears, dont like it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a couple of days ago we’re backing out of the garage and the car is making noises when changing P to R and D. Evidently this resulted from the “update” earlier in the week. We’ve done just fine without this stupidity up until now, and fortunately it wasn’t to hard to whack. I’m under the impression that this type of daft crap results from owner suggestions. Anyone know if this is true? Are owners tweeting to Musk, and then he issues orders to Engineering to implement?
I rate this as zero value-add to the car.

2023.12.5 added that noise when shifting, but also introduced a bug where after using reverse, the previously selected overlay screen is not returned when the cameras turn off when shifting out of reverse.

It did add a useful feature in being able to use the left scroll wheel to change the fan speed without looking at anything.

The driving skill level of the general population varies about as much as any other metric. And as EVs become more mainstream, manufacturers unfortunately must increasingly cater to the lowest common denominator to avoid being sued into oblivion.

Turn it off if you don't like it and be grateful that you're still allowed to. Recall all the seatbelt chimes, door ajar warnings, airbag labeling, key-in-ignition buzzers, and infotainment-in-motion restrictions that you've adapted to over the years for exactly the same reasons.

So a couple of days ago we’re backing out of the garage and the car is making noises when changing P to R and D. Evidently this resulted from the “update” earlier in the week. We’ve done just fine without this stupidity up until now, and fortunately it wasn’t to hard to whack. I’m under the impression that this type of daft crap results from owner suggestions. Anyone know if this is true? Are owners tweeting to Musk, and then he issues orders to Engineering to implement?
Federal regulation.

Thankfully it can be permanently turned off. I did immediately.

Reactions: pikeman
It'll make more sense in a few months when Tesla switches the gearshift direction. Anything built after September will have the shifter setup as "up" for Drive and "down" for Reverse.
Very optimistic of you to think that cars made in September will even still have shifters. If the Highland drone shots are correct its all going on the screen in the 3 just like the S/X. Bleh.

Correct. The concern is that relocating the gearshift to a novel (and virtual) location, eliminating tactile feedback, and swapping D and R to be opposite that of any other car in the world might confuse some drivers.

The hope is that the clear difference between a bleep and a bloop will be the only thing needed to make the new system completely intuitive and safe.

Correct. The concern is that relocating the gearshift to a novel (and virtual) location, eliminating tactile feedback, and swapping D and R to be opposite that of any other car in the world might confuse some drivers.

The hope is that the clear difference between a bleep and a bloop will be the only thing needed to make the new system completely intuitive and safe.
Too many coded beeps bleeps and bloops for a car with voice capability. How about the car saying "Forward", "Neutral" and "Reverse" in whatever language you have selected for the UI? It could mute the entertainment audio briefly and force a minimum volume level for the announcement.

Reactions: jhn_ and pikeman
Too many coded beeps bleeps and bloops for a car with voice capability. How about the car saying "Forward", "Neutral" and "Reverse" in whatever language you have selected for the UI? It could mute the entertainment audio briefly and force a minimum volume level for the announcement.
Wow, what a horrible idea. I mean, just practically they can't do that now anyway because the voice commands require a data connection to process. Even if they were locally processed and reliable though, this sounds even more frustrating to use than the screen shifting crap-show. Would also make the car completely inaccessible to any speech-impaired drivers.