Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 2022 VINs (and changes) discussion / Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed that the Tesla site now changes the range estimate when the induction wheels are selected? For the MYLR, it used to be the same for Gemini/Induction, it now shows 318 for the Induction, and 330 for the Gemini.. And it decreases another 4 miles for each when the 7-seater option is selected.

Being that they don’t change from year to year and rather they change mid year when new features are added, what are we thinking the value difference is? I’m asking because I’m set to pick up my 2021 Saturday. My opinion is not much but I’m no expert…

I say nothing material. Others are convinced 2022s are worth gold.

If you have to wait 4+ weeks until a 2022 frees up what’s that worth? Mileage and no accident seems to be the deciding factor on resale. Model year matters but if you have high mileage (or low) and/or an accident it doesn’t matter at all.

I’m strongly in the take the 21 and run group. If they had a 22 in the back and it was a straight swap? Take the 22. But that’s not the case. You’ll be back in the waiting game. And if the tax credit passes they’ll be a flood of people in that same queue who release their orders.

Has anyone else noticed that the Tesla site now changes the range estimate when the induction wheels are selected? For the MYLR, it used to be the same for Gemini/Induction, it now shows 318 for the Induction, and 330 for the Gemini.. And it decreases another 4 miles for each when the 7-seater option is selected.
Yes…it’s been noticed here and on various sites plus YouTube.

Reactions: impastu
Being that they don’t change from year to year and rather they change mid year when new features are added, what are we thinking the value difference is? I’m asking because I’m set to pick up my 2021 Saturday. My opinion is not much but I’m no expert…
Same exact dilemma. Set to pickup this Saturday after receiving a 2021 VIN on 10/31. Tough call!

Just ask yourself if you'd pay the same today for a 2020 vs a 2021 all else equal. The wait will likely be a few weeks and I am not in a position to NEED the new car so why wouldn't I wait? I get it's exciting to get a new car but I'm happy to hold out a little while for a proven increase in value. If we were talking a potential months long delay of an LR I'd have a different opinion but the MYP (in my case) still shows December delivery for a new order today.

Just ask yourself if you'd pay the same today for a 2020 vs a 2021 all else equal. The wait will likely be a few weeks and I am not in a position to NEED the new car so why wouldn't I wait? I get it's exciting to get a new car but I'm happy to hold out a little while for a proven increase in value. If we were talking a potential months long delay of an LR I'd have a different opinion but the MYP (in my case) still shows December delivery for a new order today.
I'm one of those who is assigned a car (MYLR) from the last of the 2021s. I've already been through the experience of going on a brief order hold and consequently going to the back of the line.

I'd slightly prefer to have a 2022, but I'd strongly prefer to wait a few weeks not to miss out on $7500 to $10000 of possible tax credit (N.B. I don't like/agree with the tax credits, but I especially don't like to pay taxes towards someone else's EV while paying full price myself).

However, the current EDD for a new order in my configuration is Septembrr 2022. I don't want to risk going to the back of that line based on speculative scenarios regarding unfinished legislation. So l I think I'll go ahead with the scheduled delivery. But it does take away a little of the excitement.

At least I'll get my AZ 5-year EV tags for just $175 ! That's one reward for the 2021 purchase.

Toronto, ordered myp white with tow oct 1 and got vin yesterday as 2021 and delivery date Nov 16. Maybe I should reject this, still deciding
Definitely I’d reject because performance trim has short wait times due it being more profitable I guess is their objective. Most buyers might be more inclined to pay more for 2022 than 2021 when it comes time to sell as well. But, no one really knows, all speculation at this point.

Oh nice! I’m coming from GLE. It’ll be different they’d for sure, good and bad lol. I wish Elon would just offer CarPlay.
Having come from a Tesla M3 and several CarPlay cars, I much prefer Teslas native interface. Much smoother than CarPlay, and any audio or secondary items I want (Waze police reports) work just fine on Bluetooth or phone speaker.

Definitely I’d reject because performance trim has short wait times due it being more profitable I guess is their objective. Most buyers might be more inclined to pay more for 2022 than 2021 when it comes time to sell as well. But, no one really knows, all speculation at this point.
In the MYP thread there’s people with OD in August with no VINs so I believe short wait times are a thing of the past.