Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 2022 VINs (and changes) discussion / Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same exact dilemma. Set to pickup this Saturday after receiving a 2021 VIN on 10/31. Tough call!
I'm picking mine up on Friday in Tampa, have zero concerns about waiting for a 2022 or tax credit. Tesla, and Congress can alter its policies or bills at any time. My order was placed on 7/16. Word on the street at that time was certainty that an EV bill would pass retroactive to 1/1/2021. That didn't happen.

Tesla can count their orders on hold, their stockpile of 2021 castings plus production untill retooling. (No way they produce two different MYLRs domestically). That, plus bill provisions will dictate what Tesla will do about holds. If the "holds" far outstrip 2021 production detail estimates, I would expect a severe change in policy from Tesla. Some have $49.9k MYLRs on hold. Its fanciful to think we are special enough to get a 2022 for $50k.

I'm all in with color for $54.9k. That's the deal I made in July for a 2021 MYLR with an October delivery. And here I am on Nov 3rd counting the hours.

I'm all good.
😎

Definitely I’d reject because performance trim has short wait times due it being more profitable I guess is their objective. Most buyers might be more inclined to pay more for 2022 than 2021 when it comes time to sell as well. But, no one really knows, all speculation at this point.
Also have to take trade in and financing rates into consideration. If it’s the same car, which it likely is. I’d be paying more for just the model year number

Toronto, ordered myp white with tow oct 1 and got vin yesterday as 2021 and delivery date Nov 16. Maybe I should reject this, still deciding

Also Toronto. I ordered a MYP a couple weeks before you and still no VIN for me. EDD Nov 9 - Dec 9. Guess it's the colour. Mine is blue on white. I would definitely reject for a 2022. I 100% knew I wanted a 2022 when I ordered.

I think for people who are going to keep the car for 8-10 years, there’s be no diff in a 2021/2022 car as of today unless Tesla brings some drastic changes to the 2022 versions. For the groups that are planning on selling or trading in within the next 3-5 years, then perhaps there is more sense in a 2022 model as it’ll likely be worth more. I’m planning on keeping it til it dies on me however long that’ll be so I picked up yesterday and honestly, I’ll forget all about the years in due time. Ask me what year my Mazda is and I wouldn’t be able to tell you

Also Toronto. I ordered a MYP a couple weeks before you and still no VIN for me. EDD Nov 9 - Dec 9. Guess it's the colour. Mine is blue on white. I would definitely reject for a 2022. I 100% knew I wanted a 2022 when I ordered.
my SA confirmed today zero change to 2022 other than the number in registration.

keep in mind if you are financing, October rate for 96 months is 2.85%, November is 3.15% already and looks like it's trending upwards.

Reactions: impastu
They released my VIN twice yesterday and the system reassigned it to me both times so now I get to go on hold for a week until someone else snags it.
My VIN for a 2021 was released on Monday, was supposed to take delivery this week. Today, my EDD has been updated to Dec 7-Dec 31 so it looks like my car was already snagged by someone else and I’ll get a 2022. When I placed my order in August, my original EDD was January and my SA told me I would be getting a 2022 so I’ve expected a 2022 from Day 1. Tesla better not have a problem with this!

g in within the next 3-5 years, then perhaps there is more sense in a 2022 model as it’ll likely be worth more. I’m planning on keeping it til it dies on me however long that’ll be so I picked up yesterday and honestly, I’ll forget all about the years in due time. Ask me what year my Mazda is and I wouldn’t be able to tell you

yep, that's my thought to. Been driving my current to be traded in car for 12 years. SA also confirmed the current 2022 have zero feature difference as well other than the registration year number.

yep, that's my thought to. Been driving my current to be traded in car for 12 years. SA also confirmed the current 2022 have zero feature difference as well other than the registration year number.

Correct... and in 3-5 years maybe a 2022 will be worth more than a 2021, maybe it won't be. Mileage might become a larger factor with EV's as they age, in other words a lower-mileage 2021 might be worth more than a higher mileage 2022.

Correct... and in 3-5 years maybe a 2022 will be worth more than a 2021, maybe it won't be. Mileage might become a larger factor with EV's as they age, in other words a lower-mileage 2021 might be worth more than a higher mileage 2022.
That argument is invalid for a today buyer of 2021 vs 2022 though. Regardless of which model year you buy it will be in identical condition and mileage when you go sell. It's the same price for me today and is guaranteed worth more money when I go to sell than if it were 1 model year older, even if that's only separated by 1 manufacturing day.

The next chapter of this will be when Tesla makes a couple of significant running changes during the 2022-VIN production. New castings, some upgraded interior treatment, headlights, whatever...

Then I predict some frustrated posts from people who went through the current machinations to refuse the 2021 VIN match, waited in some cases a long time for the re-matched 2022, only to then read about mid-2022 upgrades suddenly appearing a week after their payment/delivery.

Don't get me wrong, I understand wanting the 2022. It's on my mind too, along with the elusive shimmering spectre of an ~$8000 tax break next spring. I thought hard about it but I'm choosing not to play EDD roulette any longer, especially with MYLR. I'm taking my 2021 chips and I'll cheer on the folks who keep playing.

Last edited:
Electric car technology is advancing steadily forward so there will always be a new “thing” you can wait for. You just have to accept that and determine when the price/feature point is acceptable to you and buy then. Even knowing in future it will always be better.

That argument is invalid for a today buyer of 2021 vs 2022 though. Regardless of which model year you buy it will be in identical condition and mileage when you go sell. It's the same price for me today and is guaranteed worth more money when I go to sell than if it were 1 model year older, even if that's only separated by 1 manufacturing day.

I got $2400 for trade in for my 2007 bmw 335i. If it was a 2008, maybe they would have given me $2450? Who knows. But delaying it could have financial penalty (at least in Canada, it’s been going up) also could be a reduction to trade in as well if you have to renew another month.

For these reasons I decided to take the 2021 on Nov 16, I lost another $400 already last week when I renewed my trade in for October.

If it holds up, likely planning on keeping this for 14 years+ like the 335 and don’t see much point in delaying it further and making my cost go up further for a vehicle with no new features

Last edited:
my SA confirmed today zero change to 2022 other than the number in registration.

keep in mind if you are financing, October rate for 96 months is 2.85%, November is 3.15% already and looks like it's trending upwards.

Yeah, I know there's no change, but I plan on switching out the car in 3-4yrs probably. I'd rather have something that looks 1yr newer on paper even if there's no difference. And not like I'm making any sacrifices to do it. Rate doesn't matter to me so I'm good there :)

Yeah, I know there's no change, but I plan on switching out the car in 3-4yrs probably. I'd rather have something that looks 1yr newer on paper even if there's no difference. And not like I'm making any sacrifices to do it. Rate doesn't matter to me so I'm good there :)
I’d wait for 2022 as well if I was only planning on keeping it for 3-4 years.

I lost $400 on trade in this month plus the rate increase of 0.25% which is $500~ for 96 months. If I taken delivery in October, the cost of my vehicle would have been $900 cheaper. Multiple this by a couple months and it could add up. I’m coming from an ice vehicle which cost more operate as well

I’d wait for 2022 as well if I was only planning on keeping it for 3-4 years.

I lost $400 on trade in this month plus the rate increase of 0.25% which is $500~ for 96 months. If I taken delivery in October, the cost of my vehicle would have been $900 cheaper. Multiple this by a couple months and it could add up. I’m coming from an ice vehicle which cost more operate as well

Definitely makes sense in your case and you're keeping it long term too. I also have other vehicles so I'm not currently in a rush to get it. I know there's always something new on the horizon, but the timing seemed to work out to get a 2022 model year car in my situation.

Reactions: impastu and DK7519
I got $2400 for trade in for my 2007 bmw 335i. If it was a 2008, maybe they would have given me $2450? Who knows. But delaying it could have financial penalty (at least in Canada, it’s been going up) also could be a reduction to trade in as well if you have to renew another month.

For these reasons I decided to take the 2021 on Nov 16, I lost another $400 already last week when I renewed my trade in for October.

If it holds up, likely planning on keeping this for 14 years+ like the 335 and don’t see much point in delaying it further and making my cost go up further for a vehicle with no new features
I don't think anyone is arguing it if you hold cars that long. I get too bored after a few years so I find something new. Money smart? Absolutely not. But it's what I like and I've justified the expenses to myself. Carmax told me my 2021 was worth $4-5k more to them than an identical 2020 when I sold it to them a few weeks ago, maybe an edge case being 11mo old but it's my personal experience. I also don't have a trade in the mix.

I don't think anyone is arguing it if you hold cars that long. I get too bored after a few years so I find something new. Money smart? Absolutely not. But it's what I like and I've justified the expenses to myself. Carmax told me my 2021 was worth $4-5k more to them than an identical 2020 when I sold it to them a few weeks ago, maybe an edge case being 11mo old but it's my personal experience. I also don't have a trade in the mix.
I’d hold myself for 2022 if paying cash up front and no trade in as well. Might as well collect more interest and get a newer model. My scenario is more for the ones with financing + trade

Reactions: Tqdrivenws6