Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 3rd party extended warranty for Tesla’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you so much for offering this product to Tesla owners! I am very interested in this product but have a few important questions...

Does this warranty offer the same type of coverage as the Tesla ESA?

For example the Tesla ESA covers the Air Suspension and drive-train components such as half shafts. Do you cover these components? The coverage of these components is essential as just about all manufacturer Extended Warranties cover these components so I wanted to check and make sure.

@PhilDavid thank you for your kind words! Personal mission of ours is to enhance the consumer/ownership confidence within the Tesla/EV community.

To answer your question, we strived to create this contract to be as close to Tesla's ESA as possible. X-Care would cover Air Suspension (we actually highlight that item on the site) and it would cover the half shafts as well since that is not specifically excluded in the exclusions list (second page of digital brochure attached). It would not cover the actual motor, inverter or battery since that is covered under Tesla's battery/drivetrain warranty.

Attachments

• X-Care EV Brochure.pdf
    566.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Reactions: KidDoc
@PhilDavid thank you for your kind words! Personal mission of ours is to enhance the consumer/ownership confidence within the Tesla/EV community.

To answer your question, we strived to create this contract to be as close to Tesla's ESA as possible. X-Care would cover Air Suspension (we actually highlight that item on the site) and it would cover the half shafts as well since that is not specifically excluded in the exclusions list (attached). It would not cover the actual motor, inverter or battery since that is covered under Tesla's battery/drivetrain warranty.

This is awesome news. Glad to hear your warranty is comprehensive.

The last question is... What protection does customers who purchase your warranty have god forbid that you decide to close up shop after selling warranties? I hate to ask this questions but I'm sure many other potential customers may have this concern too as I'm not familiar with your company.

The benefit of buying the Tesla ESA is you know the company will be there to support and service the car. What peace of mind would your customers have after they buy your warranty that the company they bought the warranty from might just disappear? Is the service guaranteed by anyone else?

This is awesome news. Glad to hear your warranty is comprehensive.

The last question is... What protection does customers who purchase your warranty have god forbid that you decide to close up shop after selling warranties? I hate to ask this questions but I'm sure many other potential customers may have this concern too as I'm not familiar with your company.

The benefit of buying the Tesla ESA is you know the company will be there to support and service the car. What peace of mind would your customers have after they buy your warranty that the company they bought the warranty from might just disappear? Is the service guaranteed by anyone else?

@PhilDavid This is a perfectly fair and great question. Yes, X-Care is backed by Endurance Dealer Services, one of the largest providers of vehicle service contracts in the nation, and AmTrust Financial, a multinational insurance holding company and rated "A-" (Excellent) by A.M. Best.

While I do appreciate the effort, it's certainly not worth it for some people. Tesla's Extended Warranty ($4750) is 4yr/50k and starts after the expiration of the New Vehicle Limited warranty. Also, Tesla's exclusion list is about a quarter of the length of X-Care. No deductible either. Here's my quote from the X-Care website. $4000 for coverage up to 72k miles.

image.png

While I do appreciate the effort, it's certainly not worth it for some people. Tesla's Extended Warranty ($4750) is 4yr/50k and starts after the expiration of the New Vehicle Limited warranty. Also, Tesla's exclusion list is about a quarter of the length of X-Care. No deductible either. Here's my quote from the X-Care website. $4000 for coverage up to 72k miles.

image.png

@dbldwn02 Tesla's ESA actually does have a $200 deductible per service visit and if you look at the ESA contract, you might be surprised at the exclusions listed/pleasantly surprised the exclusions that X-Care has listed.

In many cases, people are limited on who can purchase the ESA "Vehicle ESA applies to a Vehicle sold by Tesla directly to You (or a subsequent owner to whom this ESA is validly transferred during the Agreement Period or sold by Tesla during the Purchasing Period)" - this is an option for people who either bought private party (3rd owner or past the timeline), from a dealer, or past the 30 day window when their original warranty expires. I am not saying X-Care is great for literally everyone, and I personally think that Tesla's ESA is great which is why we modeled after it. And to add, we are the only Service Agreement for Model 3 post factory warranty.

But you are right, I think this is probably not the best coverage option for a car with your details - which is why I am releasing a new offering that would fit better. Check back in a couple days and you should be able to see it - then please let me know what you think. You might be pleasantly surprised. We are a customer experience driven business and will offer products and changes based on the feedback that we hear.

@dbldwn02
But you are right, I think this is probably not the best coverage option for a car with your details - which is why I am releasing a new offering that would fit better. Check back in a couple days and you should be able to see it - then please let me know what you think. You might be pleasantly surprised. We are a customer experience driven business and will offer products and changes based on the feedback that we hear.

Cool. Thanks for the clarification! I look forward to a better deal than what Tesla has to offer.

Reactions: XCare EV
@dbldwn02 Tesla's ESA actually does have a $200 deductible per service visit and if you look at the ESA contract, you might be surprised at the exclusions listed/pleasantly surprised the exclusions that X-Care has listed.

In many cases, people are limited on who can purchase the ESA "Vehicle ESA applies to a Vehicle sold by Tesla directly to You (or a subsequent owner to whom this ESA is validly transferred during the Agreement Period or sold by Tesla during the Purchasing Period)" - this is an option for people who either bought private party (3rd owner or past the timeline), from a dealer, or past the 30 day window when their original warranty expires. I am not saying X-Care is great for literally everyone, and I personally think that Tesla's ESA is great which is why we modeled after it. And to add, we are the only Service Agreement for Model 3 post factory warranty.

Are their options to increase the deductible, or pay a down payment? Is there a monthly payment plan or is does the total cost have to be paid upon checkout? Thanks.

Are their options to increase the deductible, or pay a down payment? Is there a monthly payment plan or is does the total cost have to be paid upon checkout? Thanks.

Unfortunately not. As far as monthly plan goes, we do not have that as of yet (we are looking into possible solutions for that though). As of now, X-Care can only be purchased via a credit or paypal.

It is just one coverage plan with the $100 deductible. But thanks for that feedback and will look into these options.

Last edited:
Thank you! We are happy to announce this offering today for the entire Tesla community. We too feel this is a major step of maturity in the EV and Tesla space.

Product Highlights
- $100 Deductible
- Exclusionary Coverage
- Highlighted Items; MCU, Instrument Cluster, Internal Charger, HVAC, Door Handles/Falcon Wing Doors, Sensors/Cameras, Air Suspension, Sunroof, etc.
- Emergency 24/7 Roadside Assistance
- Trip Interruption Coverage

See, learn, and purchase X-Care EV Protection directly online at www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to [email protected]

i have read though your exclusionary coverage and some things are not adding up.
Falcon wing doors can also be the result of frame, yet you guys dont cover that, which in turns means, you wont cover FWD.
So do you mean to say you just cover for the Motor assembly of said doors?

Also what internal charger are you guys talking about?
It says again in exclusions you guys dont touch battery, charge controller, drive train, its actually quite a long list of what you guys dont cover vs what you do.

Basically to my understanding you guys are covering just the MCU, the drivers display, possibly some motors for doors, the door handle assembly, to be honest in the list you gave above, there is no ETC... thats all u guys are really covering.

Maybe you can clarify exactly what you guys do cover, as it seems like you almost dont cover much besides whats listed above that isnt the result of frame or poor quality finishes on the tesla.

Reactions: MP3Mike
i have read though your exclusionary coverage and some things are not adding up.
Falcon wing doors can also be the result of frame, yet you guys dont cover that, which in turns means, you wont cover FWD.
So do you mean to say you just cover for the Motor assembly of said doors?

@Naekuh All fair questions and happy to clarify. I am not too sure what you are referring to with "Frame" and "Falcon Wing doors" but "frame", or in the case for Teslas "Subframes" (since its a unibody chassis and does not have a "Frame") is not involved with the Falcon Wing Door assembly. Components that are involved with the Falcon Wing Door assembly are; hinges, actuators, latches, sensors, interior door handles, regulators, and electrical harnesses. All of this would be covered under X-Care.(https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/catalog - see part 11 for closure components on Model X FWD)

Also what internal charger are you guys talking about?
It says again in exclusions you guys dont touch battery, charge controller, drive train, its actually quite a long list of what you guys dont cover vs what you do.

The internal charger (onboard charger) is the actual component that allows to convert and dump energy into your battery. This is the component that allows your vehicle to charge when you plug it into an AC charge source. Pretty crucial item. The reason why we listed as "Internal charger" versus just saying "Charger" because the wall connector is not covered and many people may confuse the two. (wall connector not protected by any factory warranty) https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/categories/2082/subcategories/33237

We used the Tesla ESA as a benchmark for exclusions. The Battery and Drivetrain is covered under a separate 8 year warranty by Tesla which is transferable to any new owner. If you were to look at the ESA document, you will see a significant amount of exclusion similarities.

Basically to my understanding you guys are covering just the MCU, the drivers display, possibly some motors for doors, the door handle assembly, to be honest in the list you gave above, there is no ETC... thats all u guys are really covering.

Maybe you can clarify exactly what you guys do cover, as it seems like you almost dont cover much besides whats listed above that isnt the result of frame or poor quality finishes on the tesla.

Anything that goes wrong outside of an item that is specifically mentioned in the exclusions, would be covered by X-Care (similar wording to the Tesla ESA). The largest items and most recurring that owners have spoken about are; MCU, Instrument cluster, window regulators, Sensors, cameras, harnesses, air suspension/suspension, pano roof issues, door handles, falcon wing doors issues, charging issues, charge port doors, your internal heating systems/AC system (HVAC Systems), Electronic controls module, and the list goes on, all of which would be covered under X-Care.

"Inclusionary Service Agreements" tend to be less reliable because they only cover what is specifically mentioned, rather than covering everything unless specifically excluded. In a product with tens of thousands of parts, a consumer would prefer the latter because it increases scope of coverage.

Fitment and quality wouldn't be covered in Teslas ESA either nor any "extended warranty" or "service agreement" from what I have seen - but if that is listed elsewhere, please let me know and I would love to review it.

I hope this helps answer about the coverage. Our goal with X-Care was to increase consumer confidence in the pre-owned and EV market. A coverage option that dealers and consumers can purchase should help private individuals selling their cars, and consumers feeling safe about buying a used car from a dealer (in most cases where you aren't able to buy Tesla's ESA). We wouldn't build a product that would potentially hurt said confidence.

On a more personal level, I own a very early Model 3, Model S and worked for Tesla for nearly 7 years building a global organization. It is my goal to aid the success in the brand and the entire industry for electric vehicles in every way that I can. I believe X-Care is a major step in the maturity for electric vehicles and Tesla.

If you would like to discuss further, I am more than happy to. Here is my email - [email protected]

I'm following this with great interest. However, I fail to see why I would buy this before the factory warranty expires. What would this cover on top of the 4 year / 50k mile warranty?

@IchDochNicht This is a great question that I have listed in the FAQ's on the website - www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care

it comes out to be cheaper if you buy it ahead of time. We have 84 and 96 month terms with 100,000 mile if you just took delivery. That way, you can start using X-Care once your factory warranty expires.

Example: if you just took delivery of a 2019 Model S (with 0-5,000 miles), you can get a 8 year and 100,000 mile X-Care EV Protection for $4,099. But a 2015 Model S with 50,000 miles (assuming 4 years and 50k miles to be outside of factory warranty window), It will cost you $4,699. These two are the exact same coverage plan and both would expire when the vehicle is 8 model years old or 100,000 miles.

I hope that this helps!

For my 2015 Model S with 45K miles (still under 4 year warranty for 6 months), the quote was more than Tesla's ESA for fewer miles/months of coverage, since I'm not yet at 4 years/50K miles.

Is there anything this Xcare plan covers that Tesla's ESA does not?

For my 2015 Model S with 45K miles (still under 4 year warranty for 6 months), the quote was more than Tesla's ESA for fewer miles/months of coverage, since I'm not yet at 4 years/50K miles.

Is there anything this Xcare plan covers that Tesla's ESA does not?

The additional 4 year and 50,000 miles for you car is $4,699 (ESA would be $4,750) but yes you are right, if you purchased right this second, you would get an additional 5k miles and 6 months, you could also just wait until your right under 50k or another 6 months and purchase X-Care and it would be cheaper. (rate would change once your vehicle is over 50,001 miles - just FYI)

As far has coverage items (components) Tesla's ESA is pretty robust as is ours. Both are exclusionary coverages and both are great. Both include 24/7 roadside assistance. There are a some added benefits with X-Care stated below.

• Tesla's ESA has a $200 deductible while X-Care is only $100 deductible

• X-Care also comes with trip interruption coverage which i think is pretty cool.
    • Trip Interruption: In the event of a Breakdown of a covered component or part, We will reimburse You up to a maximum of two hundred ($200) dollars per day for a maximum of five (5) days, not to exceed a total of one thousand ($1000) dollars, for expenses incurred by You for meals and/or lodging, provided: You cannot operate Your covered Vehicle due to a Breakdown covered by this Contract and are more than one hundred (100) miles away from home, and expenses are incurred between the time of Breakdown and the time repairs are completed. (The date of Breakdown shall be considered the first day). One (1) day’s Trip Interruption expense shall be allowed for each eight (8) hours, or portion thereof, of required manual flat-rate labor time.

• For an additional $350, you have the ability to use your vehicle for Lyft/Uber or any other commercial/livery service and be X-Care protected. That is a denial in the Tesla ESA

• Helpful
Reactions: KyleDay
The additional 4 year and 50,000 miles for you car is $4,699 (ESA would be $4,750) but yes you are right, if you purchased right this second, you would get an additional 5k miles and 6 months, you could also just wait until your right under 50k or another 6 months and purchase X-Care and it would be cheaper. (rate would change once your vehicle is over 50,001 miles - just FYI)

As far has coverage items (components) Tesla's ESA is pretty robust as is ours. Both are exclusionary coverages and both are great. Both include 24/7 roadside assistance. There are a some added benefits with X-Care stated below.

• Tesla's ESA has a $200 deductible while X-Care is only $100 deductible

• X-Care also comes with trip interruption coverage which i think is pretty cool.
    • Trip Interruption: In the event of a Breakdown of a covered component or part, We will reimburse You up to a maximum of two hundred ($200) dollars per day for a maximum of five (5) days, not to exceed a total of one thousand ($1000) dollars, for expenses incurred by You for meals and/or lodging, provided: You cannot operate Your covered Vehicle due to a Breakdown covered by this Contract and are more than one hundred (100) miles away from home, and expenses are incurred between the time of Breakdown and the time repairs are completed. (The date of Breakdown shall be considered the first day). One (1) day’s Trip Interruption expense shall be allowed for each eight (8) hours, or portion thereof, of required manual flat-rate labor time.

• For an additional $350, you have the ability to use your vehicle for Lyft/Uber or any other commercial/livery service and be X-Care protected. That is a denial in the Tesla ESA

Is your deductible per visit or per each covered issue?

@PhilDavid This is a perfectly fair and great question. Yes, X-Care is backed by Endurance Dealer Services, one of the largest providers of vehicle service contracts in the nation, and AmTrust Financial, a multinational insurance holding company and rated "A-" (Excellent) by A.M. Best.

I appreciate the additional information but for the sake of this argument let's say, that god forbid, the xcelerateauto warranty company stops doing business and disappears. What would that mean to customers who paid for this warranty with regards to it being "backed by Endurance Dealer Services?" Is another third party then guaranteed to step in and honor warranty claims?

We'd love to consider buying your warranty but want to be absolutely sure we will not face a situation where the warranty company disappears and any claims are therefore not honored.

Also for warranty claims, do you directly pay Tesla?