Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First batch of Model 3s produced will be "Long Range" versions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That does not make sense to me. The amount of cells that It takes to make a 55 vs 75 Kwh battery is huge. I think that one of the biggest bottlenecks will be the batteries the Gigafactory is not fully operational and still has to ramp up production of the new style cells. Also consider that high performance AWD Model III's will not be available from the start. Even the Model S got backlogged due to the demand of the 100Kwh battery.

I think the bottleneck is actually producing the car. I's way easier to pump out a couple of thousand cells, than to actually build a car. Much more quality control and much more that can go wrong.

Reactions: electracity
Yes, there will definitely be options but for those of us looking forward to P and D his first comment about highly optioned cars mislead us, even if not intentionally.
It's all about how you read it. Read his earlier comment as “Our default plan as we have done in the past is that the initial sales are relatively highly optioned versions of the car limited by what options are available at the time of start of production, because we’ve got to pay back the investment of the tooling and everything, so it makes sense to have the higher optioned versions first. That’s what we did with the S and obviously again with the X.” (I added what is marked bold).

With the S they had the "P" option available from the start, but it was 2 years before the "D" option was available (but we know they had plans for this from the start). The "+" options did also came later, but we do not know if this was planed from the start, or an afterthought? And they did have the largest battery pack available from the start, the next level down toke some month before it was available, and the smallest was eventually canceled.

From just what I read around the net - it seems like they're going to be churning out a lot more batteries than cars at least thru the end of the year. I'd imagine that (at least at this point, where they're making 10-100 cars per week) having enough batteries won't be an issue.

Hi. This document doesn't prove anything because Type III means an EV with more than 200 miles range according to the criteria explained here on page 16. Therefore the base version also qualifies as Type III (long range).

Yes, there will definitely be options but for those of us looking forward to P and D his first comment about highly optioned cars mislead us, even if not intentionally. He also now says they are " minimizing configuration complexity to keep the production ramp on schedule”. Perhaps that's only limited to P and D but there could be other things like the bigger battery being available later -- maybe we'll find out tomorrow.

Or it could be that the smaller battery isn't available until later. The fact that they are producing only single motor first says absolutely nothing about which batter or other configurations they are going to produce first.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
There's just something a bit odd about purposefully delaying a smaller battery pack to your employees after telling them they had priority ahead of the mass market when you advertise the vehicle at $35k. If I were an employee making $70k at Tesla and really excited about the Model 3 and could only afford the $35k model to find I had to wait until Mid 2018 after thinking I had priority I would be pretty pissed.
There's a lot Tesla can do for employees to bring the cost down, not to mention tax rebates. Employee discounts, good lease or financing rates, etc. I'm not too worried about them if the small battery version isn't immediately available for them.

Yes, but they may get it this time - a "beta testing discount"? Tesla does after all limits their right to sell their cars at marked value.

Nope. Not even beta testing discounts. These aren't 'beta' cars. Getting the first cars is an employee 'thank you for all your hard work'. It has the added side benefit of allowing Tesla to catch any errors/problems before making and shipping hundreds of thousands to other customers, thereby avoiding a potential huge recall.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
It was mentioned previously that employees were being given a very friendly lease deal. They may be either subsidizing employee leases or doing the leases through Tesla with little or no interest and good terms. That would be a great way to get the cars in the hands of their employees without overextending them even if the builds are a little expensive.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Guessing the reveal event date to cover the word "mentioned". The word "may" covers the rest.

When can I expect my check for Internet Librarian duties.

Thanks for that. I believe, though, that those favorable lease terms are in conjunction with Model S and X, not with 3 which hasn't been released to employees just yet. Granted, perhaps those favorable lease terms will be extended to the Model 3 as well. Perhaps not. I'll wait for another source before I take it to church.