Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As mentioned in the title, I am wondering if there is any increased value now or long term to Tesla fans for a model from the first 600x units produced in initial production. At the time I was a SpaceX employee and received priority for my reservation, picking up my 2017 Model 3, VIN 567, in December of 2017.

I love my car but I was considering moving to a Model Y and I was thinking about selling my Model 3 to do so but I am having issues in determining market price for anything other than Tesla trade in. To begin with most places only dont have my version (long range rear wheel drive), only having selections for short range rear wheel drive, long range AWD, or Performance.

On top of that, since the VIN on this car is that low vs 20k units in early production, would that be valuable to a Model 3 fan to have one of the earliest Model 3's built? If that buyer who places additional value on the low VIN doesnt exist today, would such a buyer exist in the future meaning this would add to the collectibility of the car long term making it valueable to a collector that way.

I spent some time searching the forums and with Google and DuckDuckGo without much success and hoping the community might have advice

Personally I would stay away from an early production VIN as build quality and consistency tends to be pretty hit or miss. I seem to remember them building the early ones under tents or something....not saying you didn't get a good one...just sharing my 2c. I would assume that your 2017 MY 3 would probably be valued the same as the rest of the market...no more/less. There seems to be plenty of LR RWD models for sale on vroom/carvana/carmax/offerup, etc where you can make a comparison.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Upvote 0
I am not a collector, but I wouldnt think this increases any value. Its a mass market car with 100s of thousands of examples now, not a rare car. It would only have additional value as a collectable, because there have been several changes since then that have improved the product.

Its kind of like asking if an original iPhone has additional value because it has a low serial number in the hundreds, vs one now.

I am somewhat surprised that you mention you are having a hard time finding that model on car websites though.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Upvote 0
I'd suggest getting a quote from Shift, CarMax or Vroom, or one of the other onsite car buying companies, and see what they quote you. Then, if you want to sell it privately, you'll at least have a base starting price to go off of.

As someone else mentioned, I personally would stay away from one of the earliest builds of a new model car, Tesla or any other manufacturer... there are numerous posts and examples of problems Tesla had early on, which in later models, they've addressed and solved.

But that's me.... I'm sure there are people who won't be bothered by an early model, but I'd be surprised if anyone would pay you extra for having one of the first six hundred Model 3's sold.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Upvote 0
The 3 is not a collectible right now, so the VIN is irrelevant to the value. It's possible the 3 will be collectible in 20-30 years, as they get rarer due to being recycled, having dead batteries, etc. If you look at what kinds of cars are collectible today, they are usually iconic designs or have low production numbers. The 3 does not qualify under these criteria.

The original roadster would be a better example of a Tesla that is becoming collectible.

Upvote 0
The early production cars had, what I've gathered from reading here and renting one in Jan 2018, a very stiff suspension and really low rear seats. The ride quality and handling might be passable for autocross types but the rear seats are only good for children up to about 8 years old. An adult sitting back there would have their knees in their face.

Upvote 0
I love my Alcantara in my 3. Reminds me of the days when the S had it as well. My S has it.

On the reliability. I don't know. I've got some benefits from being an early vin holder as far as my suspension being replaced and a whole lot of other things as well.

Most here at TMC never put the miles on the cars that they say would have issues. Trade them in as a rinse repeat society.

Plus 90k. Still runs like a champ.

Upvote 0
The early production cars had, what I've gathered from reading here and renting one in Jan 2018, a very stiff suspension and really low rear seats. The ride quality and handling might be passable for autocross types but the rear seats are only good for children up to about 8 years old. An adult sitting back there would have their knees in their face.
@RayK Model 3 rear seats used to be closer to the floor? o_O How is that even possible? 🤯

Upvote 0
I have one relatively early 3 (VIN 0047XX) and a later 3P (VIN 0786XX). The early 3 was after the really stiff suspension was changed to something smoother, but before the rear seats were made more comfortable.

The build quality on the 47XX car is actually quite a bit better than the 3P 786XX. It doesn't have any rattles, the battery is in way better condition, it drives smoother, it drives way quieter, the windshield glass is better, and the sunroof has that really cool iridescent orange color when water beads up on it. It also has free premium connectivity. (FYI, the blue car in my avatar is the 47XX car).

The 3P 786XX car has a ton of rattles, has the metal plate that covers the battery that creaks & pings when the temperature changes, the windshield has been replaced twice due to cracks/dings, the suspension is really noisy (partly because it's a performance model), and the battery has degraded 12-14% vs the other 3 which has only degraded 4%. The redeeming features are that the rear seats are much more comfortable for passengers, and even the front seats are more cushy.

Don't discount early VINs on the presumption of bad build quality, that's not true. Do keep in mind, however, that the build quality varied a lot in the early models, as many steps were taken by human builders, not the production line robots. I appear to have received a well-built early model.

Upvote 0
I did sit in the back of an early Model 3 once. Seemed like it was for someone who needed lots of headroom but not much legroom. Or maybe almost like sitting on the floor.
That's how I feel about my 2021 Model 3 back seat! :) Knees in my face is absolutely correct. Adults can fit fine for short trips but I consider it kids-only for long rides.

Compromised vertical space is a real downside of the skateboard battery layout. Either you end up putting the back seat almost on the floor just to get decent headroom, or you end up building a crossover height vehicle.

Upvote 0
@RayK Model 3 rear seats used to be closer to the floor? o_O How is that even possible? 🤯
The car I rented from Turo back in Jan. 2018 had a 007XX VIN. Don't know when it was built but it had what I guess is now referred to as Gen1 seats. The rear seats were pretty low to the floor, more so than my 444XX (June 2018 build).

ref: Tesla Model 3 Renter's Review - Jan 2018

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
Compromised vertical space is a real downside of the skateboard battery layout. Either you end up putting the back seat almost on the floor just to get decent headroom, or you end up building a crossover height vehicle.
Maybe they thought it was better than the other way around, since you could add pads or cushions if you have more than enough headroom but want more legroom, but cannot subtract seat height if you want more headroom but have more than enough legroom.

Upvote 0