Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First day of my 12.24 kW install!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats, it looks great. I don’t know if it’s just my area or my panel orientation or what, but for me my peak output is at about 2PM. I will start generating a little power around 7am, peak at 2pm, then generate until about 8pm.

View attachment 572528

Depends a lot on orientation. My peak is about 12:30PM, but I have mostly S x SE facing panels. West facing panels would peak later in the day, I expect.

Reactions: SoCal Dave
Congrats, it looks great. I don’t know if it’s just my area or my panel orientation or what, but for me my peak output is at about 2PM. I will start generating a little power around 7am, peak at 2pm, then generate until about 8pm.

View attachment 572528

Since I have panels facing every direction, I assume my curve will be flattened compared to panels all facing the same direction.

The flat roof install was pretty impressive. I didn't expect them to have them off the roof so much. Good that I don't have to worry about leaves or anything blocking water.

20200804_161450.jpg
20200804_161609_002.jpg
20200804_161455.jpg

isn't it illegal to have rat poison in CA? I am in L.A too and thats what I was told.

I have a pest control service (local one) that I have had for about 7 years who comes to my home and treats for pests quarterly (ants, spiders, etc etc). I have a few mouse / rat bait stations around my house as well (the plastic box that @SoCal Dave was talking about). We have the same plastic bait stations at various places around where I work, so as @bkp_duke said, I believe you just have to have a specific license to purchase and use it.

Maybe it just doesn’t show up in the photo well, but are you sure they are unlevel? Looking at the front of the panels it looks like there may be some unlevelness from one side to the other. But the sides and back of the panels look very straight as compared to the tiles on the roof. Is it possible that the roof or the tiles in the front aren’t perfectly straight but the panels are?

I was thinking maybe it was the roof tiles being off a bit at the corner of the house at the ridge. Hard to judge with the shadows and the angle of the photo from down below.

Last edited:
Are you adding pest control to try to keep critters from getting under the panels? Or is that not a worry in SoCal?

We added the pest abatement to ours on the top side where the skirt doesn't run. Told the skirts come pretty close to the surface of flat concrete tiles. We see pigeons on some other homes in our neighborhood, especially during the winter when some homes are leaking alot of heat through the roof. Thanks to a forum post about this addition, we had it added to our order. For our panel run it added another 1500 but better than hearing birds cooing right above our heads in our second floor master bedroom. That and the thought of droppings building up on the tiles. Hopefully will keep squirrels from getting under there and chewing on any of the optimizers.

They finished. He tested the system and was getting 9.2 kW @ 2 PM. I'm assuming I'll get more around 12 PM.

Next steps are an internal inspection by Tesla, city inspection and then SCE.

Below is the final install. I'll get some photos of the backside roof after work.

View attachment 572519
View attachment 572520
View attachment 572518
View attachment 572517

Conduit run looks pretty good to me in the photos especially painted the house color. And I think they did a good job matching the roof tiles. We're doing the non-intrusive conduit on the roof as well so good to see your job. Since we had to have our main panel upgraded leaving fresh stucco work, we're having our painter repaint one wall of our house so he'll do the under eaves and that side of the house. House was painted maybe 6 years ago now so figured we'd never match the stucco area with "touch up work" after all that time in the western sun.

Good luck on passing inspection and getting that PTO soon.

Conduit run looks pretty good to me in the photos especially painted the house color. And I think they did a good job matching the roof tiles. We're doing the non-intrusive conduit on the roof as well so good to see your job. Since we had to have our main panel upgraded leaving fresh stucco work, we're having our painter repaint one wall of our house so he'll do the under eaves and that side of the house. House was painted maybe 6 years ago now so figured we'd never match the stucco area with "touch up work" after all that time in the western sun.

Good luck on passing inspection and getting that PTO soon.

We had our house painted a couple weeks ago so nice clean paint. Tesla had the extra paint the painters used so it matches perfectly.

Thanks for the well wishes. I hope your install goes well.

Reactions: SMAlset
Has anyone read of instances where rats/mice chew on the solar wiring or elements as they do on wiring in auto chassis or undercarriage?

We had rats chew through PEX plumbing pipes which caused a leak in our attic and water dripping through the ceiling. Luckily it came through a smoke detector and did not damage the sheetrock ceiling!
We have a bi monthly pest contract and we cut the trees back from the roofline but they had found a small void around the AC ducting into the stucco. Thinking of getting the poison boxes from the pest control company if available. I think the boxes are available on Amazon and some poisons as well , but probably not as effective as the pros use. Our company set traps in the attic with my peanut butter which he said was better than his bait.

Last edited:
The individual panels are always able to create power when there is sunlight, however the module on each solar panel only sends power when the inverter is on.

That's a pretty big assumption that would not be correct for many setups. It may be true for setups with optimizers, as I'm not sure how those work and whether they also provide RSD-style functionality.

For any non-optimizer setup, there's no way to get the panels to "stop sending power". In sunlight they're like batteries, there's always a voltage potential between the positive and negative terminals, and if you complete the circuit then current will flow. One nice thing about panels (compared to batteries) is they generally can't provide a lot of current (and the PV wiring should be rated for the short-circuit current of the panels), but since the voltage can be quite high (a few hundred volts, residential PV systems are generally kept below 600V as far as I know) they can still deliver a lot of power.

One question would be whether there is a RSD (Rapid Shutdown Device) present, and if so where it is in relation to the work being done. If the RSD is on the opposite side (relative to the inverter) of the wiring being altered, then it should ensure that the lines are not energized (assuming it's working properly) when the inverter is off (DC & AC, see below). If there is no RSD or the lines to be worked on are between the panels and RSD then they will be energized in sunlight, but the key would be to not complete the circuit. The panels themselves should be floating (not earth grounded), so as long as you don't allow the positive and negative leads to come into contact (directly or via something else conductive) then everything should be fine (of course I'm not making any guarantees there, if you're not comfortable working with potentially high-voltage wiring hire a professional to do it). Personally, I'd recommend disconnecting the wires as close to the panels as you can get (at least the positive connector, both if you're not sure which is which), to ensure that everything after that point is de-energized (I'd use a properly-rated voltmeter to ensure there's no DC voltage on the wires before proceeding), then re-connect them once you've finished working with the wiring (but with the inverter's DC disconnect still off, and the AC breaker to the inverter should also be thrown, as Tesla told me the inverter may send the signal to enable the RSD based purely on having AC power, even if the DC disconnect is thrown. I'm a bit skeptical about that claim personally, but better safe than sorry).