Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Drive MYP - most surprising features / behaviors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of MYP and first time ever driving or even riding in a Tesla. Here's a few of the most things about my new Tesla.
  1. The regenerative brakes in the Hold setting REALLY stop the car. I'm going to have to learn how to feather the accelerator so that I don't cause motion sickness. for my passengers.
  2. The ride is really quite comfortable despite the suspension and wheel setup.
  3. The acceleration is so smooth that I really have to watch my speed especially in speed zones 40 and under.
  4. The little chime that rings when the traffic light turns green.
Anyway, just excited, blessed, and delighted to be driving this remarkable machine.

I just took delivery of MYP and first time ever driving or even riding in a Tesla. Here's a few of the most things about my new Tesla.
  1. The regenerative brakes in the Hold setting REALLY stop the car. I'm going to have to learn how to feather the accelerator so that I don't cause motion sickness. for my passengers.
  3. The acceleration is so smooth that I really have to watch my speed especially in speed zones 40 and under.
Anyway, just excited, blessed, and delighted to be driving this remarkable machine.
It's an awesome car. One pedal driving is one of the best things about EV. Once you get used to driving this way you will never want to go back to the old way.

One note on the suspension, at least on the 22 models, is that they take about 4,000 miles for the suspension to break in. The damper assembly become a little noisier and harsh. Not sure about the new "comfort suspension". I still love my car, but after break in it's significantly harsher vs the long range. The price you pay for the lower ride height and better handling I guess.

It's an awesome car. One pedal driving is one of the best things about EV. Once you get used to driving this way you will never want to go back to the old way.

One note on the suspension, at least on the 22 models, is that they take about 4,000 miles for the suspension to break in. The damper assembly become a little noisier and harsh. Not sure about the new "comfort suspension". I still love my car, but after break in it's significantly harsher vs the long range. The price you pay for the lower ride height and better handling I guess.
Rather than "breaking in," that sounds more like plain "breaking."

One would expect that break in to make it SOFTER.

Have you checked to make sure parts aren't coming loose?

It sounds weird but yeah, it gets worse after the suspension is broken in. (On '22s) Both 240V and I have had multiple service center visits and it's all normal.

@ev4robert I'm glad you're willing to learn how to feather the accelerator to find the "dead" spot for coasting. You'll get it within a week. Some people come on the forum and complain to no end about it, instead of just learning like the rest of us. :)

My 2022 MYP (built 12/2021) ride felt a bit less harsh when going over bumps especially made by efforts to patch street cracks after 5,000 miles. I was ready to sell car but then decided to keep it. 🤷‍♂️ I still ride on 21” wheels. Maybe one day I’ll try the alternate tire sizes for 21” (there is a large thread) or go down to 18” or 19”.

You can turn off the light is green chime. There are alternate regenerative brake behaviors besides hold. I use roll since my Driveway is sloped, just easier to reverse out.

2023 model y got “comfort suspension”, I need to drive one to see how much more comfortable it is compared to my early 2022 (which myself and family find comfy but dread the road noise transmitted by one long street in our neighborhood made with a rocky material). I’ll drive along that street in a 2023 soon as it is near the local Tesla store.

Reactions: ev4robert

Yeah its been in the SC 6 times. The SC finally test drove another 22 (employee car) and it does the same thing at 9,000 miles. I also rented a 22 on Turo with 7,000 miles and it also does the same thing. It sounds/feels like metal on metal but its normal. They actually replaced my entire damper assembly, sound went away for almost exactly the same mileage...then returned.

... The acceleration is so smooth that I really have to watch my speed especially in speed zones 40 and under.
I know what you mean! It's so smooth, so quiet, and accelerates so quickly, I found myself speeding a lot when I first got the car. Still do! So I set the car to chime when I go a certain # of miles over the posted limit. If you haven't found it yet, check Controls > Autopilot > Speed Limit Warning

Reactions: ev4robert
I know what you mean! It's so smooth, so quiet, and accelerates so quickly, I found myself speeding a lot when I first got the car. Still do! So I set the car to chime when I go a certain # of miles over the posted limit. If you haven't found it yet, check Controls > Autopilot > Speed Limit Warning
The toggle is under Autopilot but it sounds like it can be used when not on AP? It would be nice to get a chime when I'm 10 mph over the speed limit.

Congrats! I got my MY LR less than a week ago too. Having fun w/ my newest tech toy for sure.

A couple things that I've noticed.
1. Front doors needed to almost be slammed to close 1st day I got it. Was told there is a break-in time & it goes away. Now, 5 days later, it indeed went away, no longer need to slam the doors.
2. Feathering the accelerator isn't so bad, it only took me 3-4 days to get used to it & I absolutely love 1-pedal driving now. Driving is a pleasure.
3. AP has been a bit buggy for me & I'm a bit hesitant to use it. Phantom breaking & random swerving puts me on edge each time I use it now. Luckily I've been able to anticipate them & make corrections w/o any incidents. My friend tells me my car is still a newborn & needs time to learn my driving habits. Is this a thing?
4. A screen protector, new car mats & USB hub/ports are essential. Stock car mats are incredibly cheap for such an expensive car. USB ports location make it unusable (besides the ones in the back seats)
5. Love all the tech stuff/apps...yes, even the farts.
6. I did notice a couple of panel gaps...& mine is from Austin, but I don't mind. I know Tesla isn't known for build quality.

Last edited:
Congrats! I got my MY LR less than a week ago too. Having fun w/ my newest tech toy for sure.

1. Front doors needed to almost be slammed to close 1st day I got it. Was told there is a break-in time & it goes away. Now, 5 days later, it indeed went away, no longer need to slam the doors.
2. Feathering the accelerator isn't so bad, it only took me 3-4 days to get used to it & I absolutely love 1-pedal driving now. Driving is a pleasure.
3. AP has been a bit buggy for me & I'm a bit hesitant to use it. Phantom breaking & random swerving puts me on edge each time I use it now. Luckily I've been able to anticipate them & make corrections w/o any incidents. My friend tells me my car is still a newborn & needs time to learn my driving habits. Is this a thing?
4. A screen protector, new car mats & USB hub/ports are essential. Stock car mats are incredibly cheap for such an expensive car. USB ports location make it unusable (besides the ones in the back seats)
6. I did notice a couple of panel gaps...& mine is from Austin, but I don't mind. I know Tesla isn't known for build quality.
I have already bought a screen protector that will be installed as soon as i get my MY LR (This week, fingers crossed)

What are you planning on using the USB ports for ?

I have not bought any USB hub, i have seen some that can be put into the centre console in the front sliding door, but right now i dont see much use in having it, i mean, with 2 wireless charging points i dont see myself wanting to fiddle with cable connections.

Only time i think i will need those USB ports is for charging/powering out WiFi harddrive with a backup of all of the kids DVD movies, that i bring for longer journeys, especially abroad, as the phone wifi hotspot dataplan will quickly be used up, if they want to stream, and data abroad is very expensive. :)

One thing i think it particularily troublesome with those USB ports is that they are vertical and not shielded. Dust, and dirt will build up in the bottom of those plugs i think.

I noticed the same thing with my front doors requiring a strong push or pull to fully close. I do like how substantial the door sounds when it closes.

I too am very satisfied with the build quality of my MYP.

I should have added that the interior looks and feels quite plush despite it minimalist design.

Reactions: TallTexGuy
I have already bought a screen protector that will be installed as soon as i get my MY LR (This week, fingers crossed)

What are you planning on using the USB ports for ?
Got a small USB hub for the glove one so I can add another thumb drive for my own music & stuff, in addition to the Sentry drive. As for the hub in the middle, mainly for charging phones or other devices. I just wanted the ports easier to access for myself & guests. I don't like to have to open the panel to access the ports & it doesn't look good w/ it not closed fully w/ cables sticking out.
20230323_180553.jpg
20230323_180536.jpg

I have not bought any USB hub, i have seen some that can be put into the centre console in the front sliding door, but right now i dont see much use in having it, i mean, with 2 wireless charging points i dont see myself wanting to fiddle with cable connections.
Yeah, I got that one. It looks nice. Would be perfect if it was flush tho.

Only time i think i will need those USB ports is for charging/powering out WiFi harddrive with a backup of all of the kids DVD movies, that i bring for longer journeys, especially abroad, as the phone wifi hotspot dataplan will quickly be used up, if they want to stream, and data abroad is very expensive. :)

One thing i think it particularily troublesome with those USB ports is that they are vertical and not shielded. Dust, and dirt will build up in the bottom of those plugs i think.

Got a small USB hub for the glove one so I can add another thumb drive for my own music & stuff, in addition to the Sentry drive. As for the hub in the middle, mainly for charging phones or other devices. I just wanted the ports easier to access for myself & guests. I don't like to have to open the panel to access the ports & it doesn't look good w/ it not closed fully w/ cables sticking out.View attachment 922045View attachment 922044

Yeah, I got that one. It looks nice. Would be perfect if it was flush tho.
Thats the first time i saw a USB hub for the sliding door in the console that has a cover for when not used.

Where did you get that one, i would worry, the USB connectors would be filled with dust and debris, if not covered, when not in use.