Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First experiences with our Model S (Dadaleus' story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're not profiting from it and you're stating the source, so I think you're fine. Of course IANAL.

Well neither of those things really matter when it comes to determining whether a copyright has been violated. Seems copyright holders will give limited rights to others to copy so long as it's not for profit and proper attribution is given. However, if something is simply copyrited, one may not make copies of the thing for any purpose.

That said, I seriously doubt that Tesla will mind but I don't thing he should do it if he's not comfortable with it. I am really excited for the .pdf version.

Thanks again for showing us your beautiful car Jason, and for going above and beyond and offering us the ride. To see the Tesla grin on my daughters face when you demonstrated the acceleration was awesome, you made her into a new Tesla fan today.

However, if something is simply copyrited, one may not make copies of the thing for any purpose.

I'm not sure that's correct. There is a provision called fair use where you can use parts of the material without permission in reviews or for reference. I'd suggest that forum use is covered by that. So posting a page or two isn't likely to be in violation. If someone posted the manual in it's entirety or more than just a few pages that would be.

I'm not sure that's correct. There is a provision called fair use where you can use parts of the material without permission in reviews or for reference. I'd suggest that forum use is covered by that. So posting a page or two isn't likely to be in violation. If someone posted the manual in it's entirety or more than just a few pages that would be.

Welcome to a grey area. Otherwise known as the place where law firms make TONS of money. ;)

Anywho, you're probably correct. Probably.

Okay, took some measurements:
It doesn't have to go on the bottom. It should work on the bottom of the black plastic bubble-ish part on the front of the car, in the top of the upper "grill" area in this picture:
View attachment 9736

The upper grill is about 1-1/4th or 1-13rd inches high, so it looks like there is just enough clearance. It's about 2-1/4 inches deep.

All of these parts are rounded, hence the "about" disclaimers. That has me a little concerned about my measurements. but it sure seems like it should work.

I'm trying to decide if to get the Skene or wait for a fix it ticket or a more custom holder. But I'm in no hurry so someone else will probably have to test this before me.

Could you not just stick a vinyl sticker of your numberplate on it?
No holes to drill then, and no waste of aero

Could you not just stick a vinyl sticker of your numberplate on it?
No holes to drill then, and no waste of aero

I don't know of any states that allow that. At least here in Texas, it has to be a physical plate even though that's not written down anywhere. The fact that your plate has to be on the front bumper also isn't written down anywhere. I love the idea though.

Wondering if you bought one of the Model S car covers, and if you did, what you think about it. My wife is suggesting I get one. I am not sure why I would use it though, since I would be parked in the garage and rarely outside.

Unless there is enough padding to lessen the effects of child-induced door dings. . ..

Wondering if you bought one of the Model S car covers, and if you did, what you think about it. My wife is suggesting I get one. I am not sure why I would use it though, since I would be parked in the garage and rarely outside.

Unless there is enough padding to lessen the effects of child-induced door dings. . ..

I didn't Kevin. I also park inside the garage, so I didn't see the need.

I am worried about door dings. I kinda doubt the padding would be enough, but I suppose it could help protect the paint in that event.

Once we get the garage cleared enough to put both cars in, I plan to put up something like this:
* DoorPal Door Ding Prevention
or this:
* Auto Care Products Inc 20020 Park Smart Hanging Door Guard,Yellow - Amazon.com

Of course that won't help if you park in public. I always try to park in corners and/or away from other cars. Better for my health too.

(I am in Texas)

The only time I have been asked by any type of official for my front plate has been when my daughter took her drivers test. My F150 and wife's Armada have the front plate. When she (my daughter) had her car inspected, they did not ask about the front plate (I had removed it). I am going to look into Skene Design License Plate Mount for possible mounting of a front plate.

Dada_leus,

Have you gotten a space-saver spare yet, or info (make/year) on one that will fit front & rear hubs, also reside in frunk??
Could'ya pull into a big tire store, jack up one side & measure the center-bore on the hubs (60mm to 75mm)?? Then have them tryout some donuts they might have? 2005 Honda Odyssey seems to be 'bout the only popular car with similar hubs.

You can be the first to transmit this info on the internet- think of the fame. Winter is coming; we in the Outback need this info!
--

Last edited:
@dadaleus Not to knock their product, but wouldn't a couple of $.50 pool noodles and simple prusik cord accomplish the same thing? Not nearly as elegant though.

In CA, as in many other states, the plates are highly reflective and must be flat to remain visible at a distance to law enforcement. I don't think a vinyl sticker on a rounded surface such as the TMS nose cone would be allowable.

@dadaleus Not to knock their product, but wouldn't a couple of $.50 pool noodles and simple prusik cord accomplish the same thing? Not nearly as elegant though.

I like it! Only worried about durability.

- - - Updated - - -

Dada_leus,

Have you gotten a space-saver spare yet, or info (make/year) on one that will fit front & rear hubs, also reside in frunk??
Could'ya pull into a big tire store, jack up one side & measure the center-bore on the hubs (60mm to 75mm)?? Then have them tryout some donuts they might have? 2005 Honda Odyssey seems to be 'bout the only popular car with similar hubs.

You can be the first to transmit this info on the internet- think of the fame. Winter is coming; we in the Outback need this info!
--

Ha! Fame... Fame... Fame...

Not sure I'm going to be your guy Wycolo. My to do list is very long I'm afraid. (Probably made worse by all the procrastination I do on this site!) I'm guessing someone else will get to this before me. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Last edited:
Maybe Tesla can make some plastic, wallet sized cards that give instructions for valets. One side in English the other in Spanish. I used to have a hidden kill switch in a '96 Accord (I know you are all jealous) that stopped six theft attempts and every valet. The Model S might need some instructions for the uninitiated.

Maybe Tesla can make some plastic, wallet sized cards that give instructions for valets. One side in English the other in Spanish. I used to have a hidden kill switch in a '96 Accord (I know you are all jealous) that stopped six theft attempts and every valet. The Model S might need some instructions for the uninitiated.

I really like this idea. But if not I'd point out that the hardest part is plugging it in, and I can explain that to whoever takes my car from me. Unplugging it and brining it back seems to be fairly intuitive.

I really like this idea. But if not I'd point out that the hardest part is plugging it in, and I can explain that to whoever takes my car from me. Unplugging it and brining it back seems to be fairly intuitive.
I can explain it in English, but things get a bit dicey when I try to do it in Spanish.

Also, you mentioned FLAC files, specifically Boston, in your previous posts. Were you able to upload songs into the Model S, or did you stream that through the iPhone or USB port?

Thanks.