Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First experiences with our Model S (Dadaleus' story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Proposed thread title: "Dadaleus takes wing"
daedalus.gif

Ack, don't really like that implication since I have a son. Quickly picked that handle way back when because I liked the idea of the inventor. Of course I'm not Daedalus. I'm Dadaleus.So completely different thing. ;-)

I decided to throw up a post in the California section specifically about Sunday to make sure anyone interested doesn't miss it:
You can come see my S on Sunday at 2:30 in Solana Beach if you want

- - - Updated - - -

how old are your children dadaleus? I have 3, twin 13 year old boys and an 8 year old daughter. They were excited to hear your kids refer to the S as "ginormous" b/c they're beginning to be pretty cramped in the back of the Prius.

Yea, they'll be a lot happier. I'll PM you, not that I haven't already revealed pretty much all private information through my pics anyway.

Quickly picked that handle way back when because I liked the idea of the inventor.
The only other then the wings invention I remember he have done... He created wooden cow for some king's wife or daughter, placed real cows hides on it, so that lady could get inside and feed her desire for the bull... Later on lady gave birth to Minotaur.

That invention impressed me way more then wings, probably cuz I was teenage:redface:

The only other then the wings invention I remember he have done... He created wooden cow for some king's wife or daughter, placed real cows hides on it, so that lady could get inside and feed her desire for the bull... Later on lady gave birth to Minotaur.

That invention impressed me way more then wings, probably cuz I was teenage:redface:

I don't really want to us to stay off topic on this... but see this section in Wikipedia for what maybe made me like the name. It was a long time ago now.
Daedalus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Okay, can we drop discussion of the relevance of my handle now? :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

Re title: How about "First experiences with our Model S"

I realize that could get out of date too, but I expect this will drop off as other people get their cars.

Not sure I can change myself so feel free mods.

I
The fobs are so small and light, I was sure I'd lose it. (I kept losing it in my pockets actually! Don't want that going through the wash.) I wanted to put it on a key ring to avoid this, but I couldn't get a key ring through the little hole in it. My wife came up with an ingenious solution in about 2 minutes using the home jewelry stuff she and my daughter use:
View attachment 9560
Anyone who wants to replicate this could swing by any of those make your own jewelry shops that are around everywhere. The clerk will surely do this for you in a second.

Thanks very much for this. My fiancee took one look at this and said "I can make that no problem, I already have the materials".

Thanks very much for this. My fiancee took one look at this and said "I can make that no problem, I already have the materials".

One followup on this. Make sure you pick a keyring where the wire can't easily sip into the ring, or your key may come free by accident. The thin wire easily slips in between the loops of a regular keyring, where the loops have rounded ends. I have a ring (given to me by Tesla with a Tesla logo years ago actually) that has very square rather than round ends, and it seems to be harder for the wire to get under thankfully.

In my picture, you can see the ring also has a doohickey (don't know the name for it) that attaches to another set of keys. We're actually going to redo the wire to attach to that directly and do away with the loop. That way we'll make sure it can't ever come off accidentally.

Dadaleus, how's the fit and finish looking after (just a few) days of wear and tear? Are your kids helping stress-test it? How about those door handles?

Have you also been using your frunk often? Is there any concern about how gentle you need to be to close the hood?

Thanks in advance!

It's cool having traffic on the map as you drive. It's standard Google maps, but I'm not used to having it in front of me as I drive around.
Traffic.jpg

Dadaleus, how's the fit and finish looking after (just a few) days of wear and tear? Are your kids helping stress-test it? How about those door handles?

Have you also been using your frunk often? Is there any concern about how gentle you need to be to close the hood?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, kids have definitely been stress testing! And I've popped the frunk a number of times.

The frunk opens and closes much like a traditional car, although there's no lever to pull when opening it--you just release from the remote or dash and then it lifts open. Closing it is similar though. I just press down near the front until it closes.

I'm totally happy with "fit and finish" but some people on here seem more expert than me so I may not be the best one to give a discriminating review. But everything feels very solid. The trunk opens and closes electronically very reliably. I felt like I had some trouble with the key and doors when I first got it, but now I don't--so I suspect it was just me getting the hang of it.

Last edited:
Dadaleus,
A couple other questions occurred to me today.
1) What do you think of the window tint? I typically have my windows tinted with front windows just a tad darker than legal (but haven't had any issues with it so far--knock on wood. Just wondering how you think the window tinting compares to typical Big 3 window tint.

2)Did they give you any advice/instruction about car washes? I know the Roadster isn't supposed to go through a car wash, and ideally I'll wash the S myself initially. But the reality is that I'm lazy as hell and having a black car like that I'll probably need to use a car wash if there's not some horrible reason to avoid them.

3)Have you see the front plate thread? Any chance we could get you to post the measurements for the Skene bracket?
bracket_dimensions.jpg

Thanks again for all the great replies...it's helping pass the next couple of months.

dadaleus,

First of all, thank you for the awesome review and for continuing to answer people's questions about your car. A couple of months ago we were talking about Opening the doors in the Model S if power fails. Here's what I was told by someone in a Tesla Store:

... I asked one of the people there about this issue. He said that when the car is delivered to you, you get both that cool Model S wireless thing to unlock the car, and you get a physical key for emergencies. To unlock the car from the outside in the event of complete power failure, you use the physical key in the hidden key hole, which is under the wheel well on the front drivers side. There is a small window that you slide open to get to the key hole. The Seattle store had a Beta that didn't have the hidden key hole, but the production models should have it.

Now that you have the car, I must ask, were you given a physical key, and is there a hidden key hole?