Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Expression of MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went into the new Tesla dealership that opened in Lisle IL this past weekend to see the MY on the floor and was quite disappointed in the build quality. The doors were completely misaligned and not flushed with the body. I pointed it out to the SA and he was surprised to see this or was just acting dumb. There were some other issues I saw while walking around. I essentially went from placing an order to waiting out until the quality improves. If you are going to showcase a vehicle to potential customers at least make sure you have a fully aligned and good paint job for customers to see.

I went into the new Tesla dealership that opened in Lisle IL this past weekend to see the MY on the floor and was quite disappointed in the build quality. The doors were completely misaligned and not flushed with the body. I pointed it out to the SA and he was surprised to see this or was just acting dumb. There were some other issues I saw while walking around. I essentially went from placing an order to waiting out until the quality improves. If you are going to showcase a vehicle to potential customers at least make sure you have a fully aligned and good paint job for customers to see.
Visit an Audi or Lexus showroom, do your walk around and use that same critical eye and see if you can't find something amiss.

Considering your other posts, Gladius, I think you should just go out and buy a Mercedes diesel. You can complain about the infotainment and the cost of maintenance there. You clearly are skeptical and critical of Tesla’s, yet are also claim you are a prospective buyer. They ain’t perfect, dude.

Visit an Audi or Lexus showroom, do your walk around and use that same critical eye and see if you can't find something amiss.
I agree. Viewing my $44,000 Ford Fusion plug-in was instructive. Rear and front bumper covers were paint mismatched and misaligned. The chrome window trim did not line up. Panel gaps were irregular. This was in the fourth year of the body style. It actually was a nice car.

• Informative
Reactions: Koolio46
If you have been following these forums and others closely you would realize that delivery quality has been getting markedly better in general over time.

If you are serious about wanting one, you could always place an order and still have the right to refuse the car on delivery if it doesn't meet your standards.

I do agree that Tesla should not be delivering cars with non-trivial defects and they seem to be enjoying a bit of a monopoly at the moment.

Reactions: DanDi58

Unless you have X-ray vision you have no idea what the build quality is because of all the things you can’t see ( ZF transmission I’m looking at you ). Some of the most unreliable pieces of junk out there have the most perfect panel gaps and paint.

Reactions: Carlvs
I think we have to remember that Tesla is a technology company that makes cars. They're not a car company that makes technology...

Your opinion is valid, but I think a lot of us are just getting tired of the build quality complaints...

Tesla Model 3 and Y have been known to have "not up to snuff" fit and finish and paint job. To be fair they improve with every month on a particular model. My Model 3 SR+ was gotten in 2019 and by that time it was built there was no paint issues and only a tiny panel gap difference in the tail lights. Which was noticed only because of these forums. In all my previous car buying I have never even glanced at panel gaps or closely looked at paint.

As someone pointed out, I got it for the tech - home charging and always ready to go, fantastic acceleration, quiet, great big maps and some savings on fossil fuel vs electricity. And then 14 months later it met an untimely death when I T-boned a car that pulled out of a strip mall making a run for center lane across 2 lanes. All air bags blew. I walked out unscathed from such a small car.

A week later I ordered a Y. Three weeks later I had it. It has no panel gap or paint issues. Five days later it had a tire puncture that took some leg work to have it repaired. But I am so happy with it. I will never go back to Lexus or even drive my spouse's Acura MDX if I can avoid it.

Model 3 SR accident.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: cusetownusa
Tesla Model 3 and Y have been known to have "not up to snuff" fit and finish and paint job. To be fair they improve with every month on a particular model. My Model 3 SR+ was gotten in 2019 and by that time it was built there was no paint issues and only a tiny panel gap difference in the tail lights. Which was noticed only because of these forums. In all my previous car buying I have never even glanced at panel gaps or closely looked at paint.

As someone pointed out, I got it for the tech - home charging and always ready to go, fantastic acceleration, quiet, great big maps and some savings on fossil fuel vs electricity. And then 14 months later it met an untimely death when I T-boned a car that pulled out of a strip mall making a run for center lane across 2 lanes. All air bags blew. I walked out unscathed from such a small car.

A week later I ordered a Y. Three weeks later I had it. It has no panel gap or paint issues. Five days later it had a tire puncture that took some leg work to have it repaired. But I am so happy with it. I will never go back to Lexus or even drive my spouse's Acura MDX if I can avoid it.

View attachment 615727
Well at least you understood my point of view while providing a mature response. I agree on the tech piece but for me I feel by now they could improve all aspects of putting together a vehicle. Who knows how well the tech really is either now that I think about it. I am saying when you display something to a consumer it has be your best. I am sure it will be getter better over time but for me at that given moment gave me pause to hold off for time being until I start seeing some improvements. No way I was questioning anyone's decision why they bought it.

Reactions: cusetownusa
My son’s Honda Civic was delivered on Friday. All of the doors and panels were aligned and the paint job was excellent. The car purrs like a happy kitten and the interior was perfect. It is a $26,000 car.

It was a big deal to me before I took delivery last July. Then I got in it and forgot all about it. I got worked up from these forums. I did have a few issues and they were resolved with one service visit.

Reactions: Dandesy and Gladius
improved yes, according to numerous reports and Youtubers who visits Tesla Center lots monthly....

Fixed? No, there are still issues that are uncommon for other major auto brands. Remember... Tesla is only a little over 10 years old and only start to make mass production cars for less than 5 years. It build cars in outside factor tent!

Let's not pretend these cosmetic and panel gaps are normal for a car at this price. No one is arguing about the greatness of the car despite these issues. You may choose to overlook them so you can enjoy the car but let's not pretend they don't exist!

We may have different interpretations to defend or criticize but, at the end of the day, it is a car with poor assembly of trims.

Tesla is a good car in terms of technology, maintenance cost and many other things to be proud of;

In fact, in my opinion, Tesla is a very good software and energy company; but, in terms of fit and finish, Tesla cars are ordinary and cheap.

It doesn't matter what year it is build and if you purchase a Model S or Model Y. The dashboard, interior plastic materials, rattling panels and trims, assembly of the product, industrial design etc etc. There are plenty of opportunities.

When you spray windshield fluid, it floods your car. It is a design failure! The Center console does not provide enough leg space. Doors are misaligned (compare that with Mercedes). Paint quality is poor (Compare that with Mazda). Cabin noise and trim assembly is terrible (Compare that with BMW). Trim quality is poor (Compare that with Cadillac)...

But with all that in mind, plenty of people love that car because if you compare the advantages and disadvantages, you may accept the car the way it is.

Tesla can have million reasons for that, but the day that other car companies catch up and -if- a company like Lucid, challenge Tesla with their luxury product, Tesla may improve their own product trim. It is business and market. Supply and Demand. Remember you pay 35k+ for a used Tesla. You can have a used Bimmer with that money.