Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Impressions 2022.20.15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model 3, Dual Motor FSD, FSD Beta, HW3, 124K miles, 2022.20.15

Not seeing any significant improvement over 2022.12.3.20 other than the blue line

Intersections still funky, easier to do them manually, takes too long and its still all herky jerky. Still brakes hard rather than gradual slow down. Still took 4 telephone poles to slow to the new speed after passing speed sign. Phantom braking looks like it regressed. Very disappointing, I had hoped for a better improvement. I don’t have the unprotected left turn with a grass median around here so it doesn’t help me. This is concerning, 2 months to get this update and really not seeing anything other than the Blue line for creep. How many months til the next update. Seems like we are max’d, maybe we need faster processors. Very sad.

This was the fully expected result; it's been clear for months that this will be an incremental improvement - and there ARE improvements. This development will take a long time.

At the rate you're putting miles on the car, you might have hit 250k at that point. Impressive.

Reactions: jebinc
I'm a little more pleased than you are. I see clear improvements, particularly in driving smoothness and confidence in making turns. But I agree with you that the car approaches traffic signals too quickly and does not slow quickly enough when the speed limit changes. I would now rate FSD at 85% complete, compared to 80% before this update. Still a ways to go, particularly since the last 20% always takes 80% of the time. :)

Anyone else notice that when turning from one street to another, it reverts to 25 MH until it sees a new speed limit sign? In the mean time, the people behind you are up your a*s wondering what the heck you're doing...
This is old behavior that seems to vary depending on the default speed limit for the city/county the car is in at the time.

Are telephone poles set at standard intervals? I would expect the number of poles to vary depending on the speed differential. How many miles per hour per pole is this?
Yes they are pretty much standard separation between them, ~100m. I go from 50mph, it than drops to 40mph and it takes 4 telephone poles before I'm down to 40mph, its a steady decline in speed, 2.5mph per pole? The road is inclined so I'm traveling slightly up hill. When the speed limit increases, the car immediately accelerates.

Reactions: robrich
I'm a little more pleased than you are. I see clear improvements, particularly in driving smoothness and confidence in making turns. But I agree with you that the car approaches traffic signals too quickly and does not slow quickly enough when the speed limit changes. I would now rate FSD at 85% complete, compared to 80% before this update. Still a ways to go, particularly since the last 20% always takes 80% of the time. :)
I may have been a little unfair earlier based on the regular trip I take on the back roads here. I just came back from driving around in Allentown and Bethlehem, PA during rush hour and it did pretty well out there. Some intersections it took very nicely, others I disengaged due to the heavy traffic around me. Overall it did well. Acceleration is quicker, i.e. timing when light changes to green it immediately goes at a decent speed and then accelerates up to posted speed.

Back here on the standard route I use for baseline, it phantom slowed again, so that is back. Also on a curve there was a school bus stopped with lights flashing, multiple cars backed up all with brake lights on. I could clearly see it ahead in the curve, but the car continued on at 40mph until they were more inline with it before braking very hard. Scared the car at the back of the line thinking I was coming in hot and not paying attention. It did stop, but not the way it should. Once it saw the cars with the brake lights on and bus stopped with it’s lights on it should have begun slowing. Had some braking events for cars pulling out and crossing into oncoming that it should never have braked for, way to far ahead. On the flip side I think it maybe not be braking as much when car in front is turning right, seemed to handle it better. I’ll need to pay closer attention next time to confirm. It did go around a garbage truck that stopped and was picking up at curbside, but did it a little to close and also too close after passing it moving back into its lane. Made me uncomfortable, I thought it was going to clip it. The car had plenty of space and no cars coming in opposite direction. Luckily the garbage man was loading the truck and didn’t notice how close we had come to him. More things to work on. Still a bit frustrating with turns.

Yes they are pretty much standard separation between them, ~100m. I go from 50mph, it than drops to 40mph and it takes 4 telephone poles before I'm down to 40mph, its a steady decline in speed, 2.5mph per pole? The road is inclined so I'm traveling slightly up hill. When the speed limit increases, the car immediately accelerates.
My experience is that slowing is still not good. In your case, the uphill probably helped. On flat ground, It very gradual and really needs some brake if there is no lead car to slow for.

Reactions: VanFriscia
I'm puzzled why slowing down for speed zones is still a problem. There's no issue with the car reading the new speed limit. It shows up on the display. But it takes sometimes a dangerously long time to apply the new information. I was on limited access highway today with speed limit 65 mph (which I was doing). It changes to 50 and the road becomes stoplight and city driving. It hit the first stoplight (which is more than 1/4 mi past the speed zone change) at 65 mph. And don't get me started on School Zones. When FSD is turned off and you're just using NoA on the highway and you manually change the speed limit, it works smoothly and quickly. Why is FSD so different? I understand the strange fluky instances that's difficult to interpret being a problem for some time to come. But this problem seems simple and easy.

I'm puzzled why slowing down for speed zones is still a problem. There's no issue with the car reading the new speed limit. It shows up on the display. But it takes sometimes a dangerously long time to apply the new information. I was on limited access highway today with speed limit 65 mph (which I was doing). It changes to 50 and the road becomes stoplight and city driving. It hit the first stoplight (which is more than 1/4 mi past the speed zone change) at 65 mph. And don't get me started on School Zones. When FSD is turned off and you're just using NoA on the highway and you manually change the speed limit, it works smoothly and quickly. Why is FSD so different? I understand the strange fluky instances that's difficult to interpret being a problem for some time to come. But this problem seems simple and easy.
I agree. It's a mystery that this has not been perfected yet.

Reactions: Chisale
Are telephone poles set at standard intervals? I would expect the number of poles to vary depending on the speed differential. How many miles per hour per pole is this?
It is definitely long enough slowing down that you would get a speeding ticket from a cop waiting a couple hundred yards past the speed limit sign. I have to intervene all the time for this in my small town here in NJ.

My first impression is the car acts as if there are not enough side camera angles available to make sound UPL turns. It does a nice job with the steering smoothness in more scenarios than it did before but the UPL is definitely unreliable for us. It acts like it cannot see the cars to my left (No cars are parked on the street so it is basically unobstructed) and then it creeps out then tries to go when cars ARE In fact coming.

Reactions: jebinc
2018 Model 3, Dual Motor FSD, FSD Beta, HW3, 124K miles, 2022.20.15

Not seeing any significant improvement over 2022.12.3.20 other than the blue line

Intersections still funky, easier to do them manually, takes too long and its still all herky jerky. Still brakes hard rather than gradual slow down. Still took 4 telephone poles to slow to the new speed after passing speed sign. Phantom braking looks like it regressed. Very disappointing, I had hoped for a better improvement. I don’t have the unprotected left turn with a grass median around here so it doesn’t help me. This is concerning, 2 months to get this update and really not seeing anything other than the Blue line for creep. How many months til the next update. Seems like we are max’d, maybe we need faster processors. Very sad.
More cameras, higher resolution cameras and faster processors/memory. I am now testing and see improvements and issues that seem to be more compute-bound and imagery-bound than I have seen in past versions. They better not wait months again to release or this brand may suffer.

Minimal improvement for me. Misses speed limit signs, interprets minimum speed sign as speed limit, slows too quickly at stop lights, reacts slowly when speed limit is reduced, more hesitant on some unprotected Left turns, entered traffic circle too soon cutting off on coming car and most importantly accelerates rather than slows when approaching my community gate (very dangerous). The latter despite my pressing the report button > 30 times hoping to get it remedied!
One improvement is that it no longer tries to make a certain right turn prematurely, which mandated a very quick cancellation to prevent accident. Definitely not ready for mass adoption. Changes coming very slowly. Some errors are quite dangerous. So herky, jerky that my wife gets motion sickness and insists that I don't use it when she is in car.

Reactions: jebinc and TS.42
Downloading now! Will see how it works on the way home.
Couldn't wait so did a quick trip at work. Lane and route choosing still sub-optimal to farcical. It picked the route that requires a right turn followed by three quick lane changes to get in a left turn lane. Alas, after a pretty smooth right turn it started a lane change to the right! So, I aborted that and hit the camera button.

Better news on the return trip. There is a left turn at a light and . . . . it was fine, I didn't have to yank control back from it. I think that's the first time with traffic around I've been able to let it complete a left turn. It's always been so jerky, drunken, and slow that I've had to take over to keep it from totally confusing and pissing off other traffic. Now, other than being a bit slower than I would go, it made a nice smooth turn.

So, a mixed bag and that small sample.