Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Impressions: I Wish!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My day had finally come. I went to the Atlanta Service Center to pick up the car I have been waiting for for years--the car I ordered on 24 September. I thought I was going to have to drive down in a snow-storm, but the weather held and we drove down from Chattanooga (about 100 miles) in flurries. When we got to the SC my DS took me to the brand new showroom and there were four cars in there. Three in one corner and a beautiful P85+ on the showroom floor. The three in the corner were red, white, and my blue (very patriotic!) Unfortunately, all were damaged in transit. Quite honestly, mine did not look like transit damage. It had two very obvious spots where the paint looked like an orange peel. But that wasn't enough. My DS met us and told us that when they went to apply the 5.8 update this morning, after the update the 17" screen failed to restart. It's totally black and inoperable. Now here is the thing that really bites! I had specifically asked that they NOT apply that update. I told my DS very pointedly, if my car arrives with an older version of the software I do NOT want the new version applied. I was told last week that all cars arrive with 5.8. Well, evidently mine did not...but they applied it anyway. When I asked him why they did that when I specifically asked for it NOT to be done, he replied "Everyone has to have 5.8." I also asked why no one had called to let me know it would not be ready for pick-up. The response: I guess I could have done that. But we thought we would probably be able to get the screen fixed prior to delivery. They offered to allow me to pay for, and take delivery of it "as is". Uhhhh...NO! Or I could come back for it next week. Uhhh...NO! (I have the whole family showing up for Thanksgiving at my house today and ALL of them want to see the new car and experience the thrill.) I requested a loaner and was told, "We usually don't offer a loaner to someone who is not actually an owner." But after a few tense moments of negotiation they agreed and I drove a loaner home until mine can be made ready. All-in-all quite disappointing. But I recognize it could have been worse.

That's ready bad. I sympathize on the software update, as I'm on 5.6 and have been ignoring the schedule update prompts. Likely Tesla has a policy of upgrading to 5.8 as part of vehicle prep. The local guys are just doing what they are told from corp.

As for the other items, your DS should have: called you; never should have offered to sell you a broken car; and definitely should have offered you the loaner considering you drove from far away and the situation was completely avoidable.

I'm sorry your ownership experience has started out this way. It gets better. Don't let one person put a damper on your overall experience.

A

That's ready bad. I sympathize on the software update, as I'm on 5.6 and have been ignoring the schedule update prompts. Likely Tesla has a policy of upgrading to 5.8 as part of vehicle prep. The local guys are just doing what they are told from corp.

As for the other items, your DS should have: called you; never should have offered to sell you a broken car; and definitely should have offered you the loaner considering you drove from far away and the situation was completely avoidable.

I'm sorry your ownership experience has started out this way. It gets better. Don't let one person put a damper on your overall experience.

A
Thanks, andrewket, for your condolences. In my opinion there are a number of good reasons to hold on version 5.6 rather than jump to 5.8. It will be interesting to see what January brings, but I am not holding my breath. I realize everyone was just doing what they were told to do and I hold no animosity toward them, but I really wish the owner had a say in what the car would include. After all, I am the one paying for it. I noticed on the web page this morning it is scheduled for delivery next Thursday. It would have been nice if SOMEONE maybe like a DS???, would have called me to let me know. Sure it was Thanksgiving yesterday, but whoever posted it to the webpage had to have been working. I'll wait and see how long it takes someone to let me know. I am not experiencing warm fuzzies from my ownership team at this point.

There are good things that come from a Valley car company and there are some bad. Software companies are notorious for doing whatever they like with little regard for the customer. Apple's operating system update that rendered one of my IPhones useless comes to mind. They could care less that they reduced my asset to a non-functioning pile of dung and refused to roll back the firmware.

Part of what you are getting out of the delivery process is a lack of competence. My first DS knew about as much about the car as I did when I took delivery. My second and third deliveries were done by hopelessly inept personnel. They were bright kids but clueless WRT business or the car itself. Tesla seems to poach competence from the front lines and put it to work further up the food chain. They then backfill with newbies who have little to no business experience, experience with the company and only basic training. I understand why this is but it does not make it any less frustrating.

Tesla's growth has it testing the limits of just how little the company can do and still get by. When I first heard "The best x and the best y" from Tesla I understood those claims to come from a fully functional company and set my expectations accordingly. I've now come to realize that they are offering "the best we can do with the limited bandwidth we have as we grow this fast". Our frame of reference when it comes to best was different. I've adjusted my frame of reference now, lowered my expectations and only tackled the issues that rise to a much higher level. In short, I'm cutting them more slack.

We all have our own limits of what we will put up with. It is my hope that Tesla does not exceed yours and that you ultimately end up a MS owner. I think you will love the car; it is truly something special.

Best of Luck,
Bill

There are good things that come from a Valley car company and there are some bad. Software companies are notorious for doing whatever they like with little regard for the customer. Apple's operating system update that rendered one of my IPhones useless comes to mind. They could care less that they reduced my asset to a non-functioning pile of dung and refused to roll back the firmware.

Part of what you are getting out of the delivery process is a lack of competence. My first DS knew about as much about the car as I did when I took delivery. My second and third deliveries were done by hopelessly inept personnel. They were bright kids but clueless WRT business or the car itself. Tesla seems to poach competence from the front lines and put it to work further up the food chain. They then backfill with newbies who have little to no business experience, experience with the company and only basic training. I understand why this is but it does not make it any less frustrating.

Tesla's growth has it testing the limits of just how little the company can do and still get by. When I first heard "The best x and the best y" from Tesla I understood those claims to come from a fully functional company and set my expectations accordingly. I've now come to realize that they are offering "the best we can do with the limited bandwidth we have as we grow this fast". Our frame of reference when it comes to best was different. I've adjusted my frame of reference now, lowered my expectations and only tackled the issues that rise to a much higher level. In short, I'm cutting them more slack.

We all have our own limits of what we will put up with. It is my hope that Tesla does not exceed yours and that you ultimately end up a MS owner. I think you will love the car; it is truly something special.

Best of Luck,
Bill

I've posted similar concerns throughout this and the official forums. There is no doubt that the car is amazing - are there bugs still to be worked out? Sure. Hood alignment, fit and finish, etc etc, which we should expect from what is really a beta car. However, what I have stated numerous times is that given that we all as buyers/owners, should accept such 'growing pains', IMO, where we as owners should not compromise is service, because this can be handled easily - irrespective of the limitations on personnel. If it came down from the top that a) if TM f's up on delivery, service etc, we won't give the customer a hard time and provide x y and z, it would be done, period. My concern is this isn't the case. I convinced my neighbor to get an MS and I think like Lola's friends experienced in the most recent purchases, the purchase/delivery process was not good. This is the most disconcerting thing for me, and it should be addressed immediately. I do want to point out that this isn't across the board. I've come across a LOT of Tesla employees who bend over backwards to make things right....its just there are too many stories where that's not the case.