Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First impressions, Model X versus 3 year old Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Cosmacelf, can you talk some about the driving dynamics of your X vs your P85? Does the increased height and weight of the Model X compromise the handling at all (vs your P85)?

My X appears to drive better than my 3 year old Model S. The extra height doesn't seem to affect driveability at all. But bear in mind that I don't have much experience in a new Model S P85D with the stiffer suspension, so others with that kind of experience can better answer that question. But compared to an original Model S, it drives better.

OK, so, yes, I guess a golf bag can fit in the frunk IF you take out the driver and place it beside the bag (I just tested it). The 3 wood (with cover) is a big snug in the bag, but it will work if you are careful.

And it looks like the falcon wing doors will open up higher if the garage doors are closed. I opened the FWDs with the garage door closed and then opened the garage door. Interestingly, the car beeped at me just before the garage door was about to hit the FWD (I stopped the garage door before that happened and right after the beep). Hard to see angles in this picture but I stopped the garage door about 5 inches before that right angle aluminum piece would have hit the FWD.

garage2.jpg

And here's an overview shot. Even If the doors didn't have that leading angle bar, I believe the door's horizontal aluminum braces would have hit the FWDs as well.

garage1.jpg

This behavior is no different than what happens when you open a normal liftgate. You gotta be careful. At least the car beeps telling you the garage door is about to collide...

Now Tesla (and other manufacturers) DO have a liftgate height adjustment (which I have to use for when the garage doors are open) to restrict the opening height of the liftgate. In an ideal world, there would be a FWD opening height adjustment and a liftgate height adjustment that were tied to GPS, so at home, it wouldn't open either too high.

As a sidenote, a GPS aware rear liftgate max. height adjustment would be really nice. The height I have to restrict it to is a tad too short for my head, as in I'm in danger of banging my head against it when I'm loading stuff into it. It is what it is in the garage, but outdoors in a shopping parking lot, it would be nice if the liftgate would open all the way.

As a sidenote, a GPS aware rear liftgate max. height adjustment would be really nice. The height I have to restrict it to is a tad too short for my head, as in I'm in danger of banging my head against it when I'm loading stuff into it. It is what it is in the garage, but outdoors in a shopping parking lot, it would be nice if the liftgate would open all the way.

I like it. Might as well do the same with the falcon wing doors as well. We have the same issue, low setting for our garage but would appreciate more space out and about.

The difference between lift gates and doors is that when you're getting something out of the trunk, you're probably right there. If you're letting your kids out of the doors, it's not as obvious. Plus, you suddenly have three doors to worry about instead of just one. Not sure it'll matter, but just saying they're not completely analogous.

Thanks for the continued garage notes.

Couple more minor things. The frunk hood can now be closed with one hand. It is shallower than the Model S frunk hood front the back, not as big.

Trunk lighting is still an issue, sigh.

The front windshield is going to bug me. I'm going to have to get a light tint applied to the whole windshield.

It is much easier getting in and out of the front seat than the Model S - the car sits higher.

OK, so, yes, I guess a golf bag can fit in the frunk IF you take out the driver and place it beside the bag (I just tested it). The 3 wood (with cover) is a big snug in the bag, but it will work if you are careful.

And it looks like the falcon wing doors will open up higher if the garage doors are closed. I opened the FWDs with the garage door closed and then opened the garage door. Interestingly, the car beeped at me just before the garage door was about to hit the FWD (I stopped the garage door before that happened and right after the beep). Hard to see angles in this picture but I stopped the garage door about 5 inches before that right angle aluminum piece would have hit the FWD.

If I were you, I'd wrap that angle brace in some padding.

Cosmacelf, would everything be clear if you backed into the garage instead?

I ask this because I always back my vehicle into my garage. I have a 3 car garage and my spot is the middle bay. I'm trying to imagine how the X will look in that spot versus what is in there now (Santa Fe Sport). Currently, with that specific SUV backed in, it looks like where the FWD open up it would be clear of the rails and the opener. This is how I plan on parking my X in the garage. My X will be the same height as the Santa Fe, but about 13 inches longer and bit wider.

Yeah, if you need a sunshade, then what's the point of the glass? The windshield and the second row seats are design fails IHMO. Kind of a shame...
I wouldn't call it a design failure but I would consider it to be a matter of preference. I would like a sunshade to be available for those sunny days in the summer and here in SoCal pretty much every day is a sunny day.

Elon mentioned in his tweet a sunshade would come with each car, but it appears that the sigs did not get one so I would assume we would see it in the tesla accessory shop soon?

Can you share some pictures of the storage space in the rear with seats up and with them folded? How much space is back there? Do the third row seats fold flat (and independently?), is there room under the seats for longer items - like skis?

I wouldn't call it a design failure but I would consider it to be a matter of preference. I would like a sunshade to be available for those sunny days in the summer and here in SoCal pretty much every day is a sunny day.

Elon mentioned in his tweet a sunshade would come with each car, but it appears that the sigs did not get one so I would assume we would see it in the tesla accessory shop soon?

Having used pano roof for 2 years I don't have any concern over the windshield even without any sun shades being offered. A tint film would be another easy solution if one has problem with sun/heat and does not want to be bothered with using the shade although I doubt it will be needed.

Last edited:
...I opened the FWDs with the garage door closed and then opened the garage door. Interestingly, the car beeped at me just before the garage door was about to hit the FWD (I stopped the garage door before that happened and right after the beep). Hard to see angles in this picture but I stopped the garage door about 5 inches before that right angle aluminum piece would have hit the FWD.

...This behavior is no different than what happens when you open a normal liftgate. You gotta be careful. At least the car beeps telling you the garage door is about to collide...
But with a normal lift date on a regular car, the lift gate has no idea that the garage door is coming to whack it so the lift gate is toast. With the Model X, the beeping shows that the car is aware of the impending collision. So it would be possible (software update?) for the car to move the FWDs out of the way in an impending collision like this. You should request this new feature from Tesla. :)

-CB

Last edited:
But with a normal lift date on a regular car, the lift gate has no idea that the garage door is coming to whack it so the lift gate is toast. With the Model X, the beeping shows that the car is aware of the impending collision. So it would be possible (software update?) for the car to move the FWDs out of the way in an impending collision like this. You should request this new feature from Tesla. :)

-CB

I have a name for it: 3D collision avoidance. I think this is also the situation where AI comes in and has to decide to potentially hit you in a head to avoid garage door collision or beep and make you save the day.