Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Model 3 service - brake fluid change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just hitting 40,000km and thinking about service - the manual says I should be changing the brake fluid now. Opinions from friends say this would be overkill for most cars. Has anyone done it? Is there a safety or warranty issue if I'm happy with my brakes and don't do it?

If I do it, is it best done by the Tesla SC - I assume it's not a ranger item? Any thoughts on me just doing it with a local shop (SC is 200km each way).

Brake fluid absorbs moisture, even through steel brake lines over long periods of time. Moisture in your steel brake lines causes corrosion, eventually. The 2 year fluid replacement period guarantees against accumulated moisture in the lines causing rust. So consider it preventative maintenance to increase the lifespan of your brake lines. Is it NECESSARY? Your brake lines will still probably last 15 years with only one fluid change at year 7-10. But I wouldn't want to do that to my car personally. There is also the risk if you get too much moisture that since (when heated near calipers) water (vapour) is compressible (brake fluid is not compressible) it will affect your braking power. That's another reason to change it.. Some wait for squishy brakes as their indication to change it. The manufacturers will err on the side of caution. To each his own.

They changed the service schedules. You might want to check following links. The brake fluid change is 2 year intervals, but I don't think you'll need to change it unless it's contaminated.

Car Maintenance
Tesla kills yearly service program, focuses on EV requiring less maintenance

Thanks. I knew there were changes but I thought they were keeping the owners guide up to date - clearly not as it still has the 40k brake fluid change even though some other things have been adjusted. I guess I'll look to the maintenance page in future.

Brake fluid absorbs moisture, even through steel brake lines over long periods of time. Moisture in your steel brake lines causes corrosion, eventually. The 2 year fluid replacement period guarantees against accumulated moisture in the lines causing rust. So consider it preventative maintenance to increase the lifespan of your brake lines. Is it NECESSARY? Your brake lines will still probably last 15 years with only one fluid change at year 7-10. But I wouldn't want to do that to my car personally. There is also the risk if you get too much moisture that since water is compressible (brake fluid is not compressible) it will affect your braking power. That's another reason to change it.. Some wait for squishy brakes as their indication to change it. The manufacturers will err on the side of caution. To each his own.

Yep, a time-based interval makes more sense with your explanation and what I heard from friends. FYI the latest online manual still says 40,000km so that's where I got it from, I didn't see 2 years. Because I've done 40k in ONE year, mileage versus every two years is a huge difference for me. Maybe not so for people who drive less.

I'm just hitting 40,000km and thinking about service - the manual says I should be changing the brake fluid now. Opinions from friends say this would be overkill for most cars. Has anyone done it? Is there a safety or warranty issue if I'm happy with my brakes and don't do it?

If I do it, is it best done by the Tesla SC - I assume it's not a ranger item? Any thoughts on me just doing it with a local shop (SC is 200km each way).

I agree that mileage/time limits on brake fluid are overkill. I bought this to keep track of the moisture content of brake fluid on my cars and bike. Works really well. This one is well built unlike some others. IMO just monitor it. DON’T over check it as your exposing it to fresh air every time you do. Twice a year should be fine:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076SC377J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First off, kudos for racking up that many km in one year. You must really love driving your model 3 :)

When it comes time for me, I'll go the diy route. I've got a vacuum purge/fill kit I bought off Amazon years ago that can be used for brake and coolant flushes that runs off of a shop compressor.

Also, I thought the new service model for tesla involved the Rangers doing some testing on the road and then recommending what needs to be done (to ease the strain on service centres)?

Last edited:
Brake fluid absorbs moisture, even through steel brake lines over long periods of time. Moisture in your steel brake lines causes corrosion, eventually. The 2 year fluid replacement period guarantees against accumulated moisture in the lines causing rust. So consider it preventative maintenance to increase the lifespan of your brake lines. Is it NECESSARY? Your brake lines will still probably last 15 years with only one fluid change at year 7-10. But I wouldn't want to do that to my car personally. There is also the risk if you get too much moisture that since (when heated near calipers) water (vapour) is compressible (brake fluid is not compressible) it will affect your braking power. That's another reason to change it.. Some wait for squishy brakes as their indication to change it. The manufacturers will err on the side of caution. To each his own.

You need to keep in mind that the service performance is based on a human factor. There is no guarantee that the Tesla mechanic doesn't introduce worse conditions into your brake line and fluids than where it was at un-tampered with from the factory at a 2 year interval. A very small chance of it being improperly flushed and filled but still nonetheless possible.

Reactions: akidesir